No More Room in Hell

plekpot

Hello everyone

On Steam now for free: No More Room in Hell. It's a free mod built with the source engine featuring (slow) zombies and coop. It's free so I tried it yesterday. Apparently it has been in development for 7 years and in beta for two and just got released for real on the 31st of October 2013. http://store.steampowered.com/app/224260

The first thing I noticed was that there is no HUD and no ammo counter, that's something new. To check your ammo you have to hold the reload button to count your ammo. The zombies (the slow kind, like PZ shamblers) look okay.

I played for about half an hour and noticed some very annoying things like the unresponsiveness of the controls. Between left clicking and the character swinging his axe (only male characters so far, seriously?) there was a delay of about 0.5-0.75 seconds. Another problem is the unintuitive inventory management where it's difficult to see how much items you can pick up and how much inventory space an item takes.

The graphics were fine though, but the unresponsiveness was a game-breaker for me.

What's your opinion?

(sorry for my poor English)

I played it while it still was in Beta on Desura.

There are two game breaking things in the mod for me. Constantly respawning zombies which is annoying and makes no sense. There is this cinema and zombies still spawn, after you barricaded everything (shutting the doors). The next big problems are melee combat and the pace of the game. Melee combat is nearly worthless, You get damaged no matter what.

So one always pulls the aggression of the zeds and the rest deals damage.

The pace of the game is also extremly slow. You can't run ten seconds without your character tiring. Also you char is so slowly creeping and running I would describe as normal walking.

The only melee weapon I have found worth is the sledgehammer the rest id kinda meh.

I played it while it still was in Beta on Desura.

There are two game breaking things in the mod for me. Constantly respawning zombies which is annoying and makes no sense. There is this cinema and zombies still spawn, after you barricaded everything (shutting the doors). The next big problems are melee combat and the pace of the game. Melee combat is nearly worthless, You get damaged no matter what.

So one always pulls the aggression of the zeds and the rest deals damage.

The pace of the game is also extremly slow. You can't run ten seconds without your character tiring. Also you char is so slowly creeping and running I would describe as normal walking.

The only melee weapon I have found worth is the sledgehammer the rest id kinda meh.

I agree with you. I see glowing reviews everywhere, but the game isn't that good actually. Melee combat is bad indeed, I actually prefer the melee combat from Dead Island, it feels more real.

I loved it :P Just saying, played with 7 people last night and it was amazing. Accidentally shooting people, blowing up buddies with grenades, setting friends on fire... Hit boxes must've been updated because melee was very nice actually, you need to aim for the head, anything less and you'll just make them stumble or do nearly no damage. Teaming up in small groups for melee works very well also! Have one person with a sledgehammer and the other with an axe and time your strikes together!

P.S. I hated dead island :P Personal opinion obviously, but I find No More Room In Hell WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better... and its free, so yea.

I loved it :P Just saying, played with 7 people last night and it was amazing. Accidentally shooting people, blowing up buddies with grenades, setting friends on fire... Hit boxes must've been updated because melee was very nice actually, you need to aim for the head, anything less and you'll just make them stumble or do nearly no damage. Teaming up in small groups for melee works very well also! Have one person with a sledgehammer and the other with an axe and time your strikes together!

P.S. I hated dead island :P Personal opinion obviously, but I find No More Room In Hell WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better... and its free, so yea.

I played about 80 hours of DI, the story and characters sucked, but slashing a zombie apart or breaking limbs was good fun.

I can totally see where you're coming from with the zombie combat! It was an awesome game mechanic the way the zombies took damage... also rigging up those weapons were cool!

However, I don't think I even made it half way through the game! The coop and the mechanics I did love weren't enough to carry me through... and I probably payed 30 - 50 bux! Whereas I played like... 8 hours of NMRIH yesterday, loved every minute of it, and didn't pay a penny!

To be honest, I don't think NMRIH would be nearly as much fun without a large group of people. I would definitely recommend anybody to try it with a group of friends!

I just saw an article about child zombies in NmRiH:

http://kotaku.com/zombie-game-creator-defends-allowing-players-to-kill-un-1457086109

I think it's just stupid. I wouldn't actually mind having children in PZ, but it's the devs choice. At least teenagers could be implemented. In horror films teenagers constantly get killed so why not in Zomboid.

Twiggs if it works better now I will try it out. It's free anyway. :)

You're hurting nobody  by trying this game seeing as its free :D I like that it has child zombies in it though, I understand the development stance behind it. The developers WANT you to take a moment to pause for thought before you cap a child zombie. You're supposed to feel guilty, you're supposed to be disgusted. Telltales The Walking Dead approached killing children and also the subject of child zombies and did it well. I don't recall there being controversy over that game, in fact all I ever hear about it is how great the story is (because it is)

The developers WANT you to take a moment to pause for thought before you cap a child zombie. You're supposed to feel guilty, you're supposed to be disgusted.

Hmm, is there something wrong with me then?

Because I neither feel guilty or disgusted when I shot a child zombie in the game...

Or maybe its because I'm fed up with the pretentious crap that's supposed to be controversial and I see past the curtains and take it at face value; that this is a zombie, regardless of the fact that its a child, and its going to try and take a bite out of my leg.

DIE ZOMBIE CHILD DIE!!!

See, wasn't so hard. Why all the fuss?

Btw, I thought the game was complete rubbish.

Hmm, is there something wrong with me then?

Because I neither feel guilty or disgusted when I shot a child zombie in the game...

Should they write they went for a zombie lore without special infected and they wanted to mix it up up? They are a pain in the arse those kid zombies. They keep running in my bullets like I want to shoot them! At least in game they can't infect you.

I start to question who are these people?

I don't want to be harsh, but thousands of children die causes which can easily be prevented. Nobody whines about them. But instead about some pice of code in a matrix. Hypocritical bastards.

The first time I saw a kid zombie in the game I hesitated. It bit me then I killed it. I told nobody I had been bitten.

and you want me to play with you guys? I'm already having trust issues :P

Don't worry tooks :D, you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to be wary about.

Oh man! I came into that around 1.06, haven't been fortunate enough to update it yet. Loads of fun, executed very well, overlooking a few boo-boos here and there. The new version seems really neat from that trailer they posted on the steam thing. I just wish melee didn't depend on your Internet's speed.

You're hurting nobody  by trying this game seeing as its free :D I like that it has child zombies in it though, I understand the development stance behind it. The developers WANT you to take a moment to pause for thought before you cap a child zombie. You're supposed to feel guilty, you're supposed to be disgusted. Telltales The Walking Dead approached killing children and also the subject of child zombies and did it well. I don't recall there being controversy over that game, in fact all I ever hear about it is how great the story is (because it is)

A lot of survival horror games have included children in their enemy roster because they can be so creepy if implemented properly, and you hardly ever hear a thing about it. Not sure why they chose to single this game out. I don't remember hearing any qualms about the Dead Space franchise having necromorphs infect children. Babies even. In fact there's a whole section in 2 where you fight through an elementary school.

I cringed when I realized this game is a FPS, nearly every FPS zombie game released sucked, especially this year.

Which zombie FPS hasn't suck this year. Yes, there is Nether, butI don't trust those guys here is why:

Excluding this one. Yes, this one is one of the few zombie-oriented FPS games that does not suck (as much as the rest at least.)