Alternate Power Systems

ZombieHunter

It would be nice if we could make Alternate Power Systems when you have enough Carpentry and Engineering.

Wind
Solar
Biofuel
Methane

Most of the stuff can be made at home as shown by this guy,

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-an-electricity-producing-wind-turbine/

So you aren't going to need some sort of fab factory to even do basic construction.
Though his setup involves mixing Solar and Wind to charge up large Battery pack ( Which is Similar to Teslas Uninterupted Powersupply Idea ) 

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2019 at 7:36 PM, Neonwarrior said:

The devs try their hardest not to add more ways for you to survive long-term. It is supposed to be a dying simulator, after all. Don't expect anything like this for a very, very long time, and even then you'll probably just have to rely on mods. 

Even so, the devs are also quite concerned with 'realism'. From potato batteries, to ethanol to wood gas, I think the industrious people of the great state of Kentucky can get er done. 

Also, we're going to get npcs at some point, and you know what that means: Raiders and thieves. An obvious power source is going to be a very tempting target for both zombies And raiders.

49 minutes ago, grammarsalad said:

Even so, the devs are also quite concerned with 'realism'. From potato batteries, to ethanol to wood gas, I think the industrious people of the great state of Kentucky can get er done. 

Also, we're going to get npcs at some point, and you know what that means: Raiders and thieves. An obvious power source is going to be a very tempting target for both zombies And raiders.

I'm totally with you man, more content is better, and I don't get annoyed by 'clutter' in my games. I just know that the devs shoot down suggestions as 'unnecessary/luxury content' as if they were mosquitoes (even if they have a decent reason for it like game balance). And I'm quite sure that EnigmaGrey would prefer the developers immediately cease all development, because any and all changes are bad and you should feel bad for even thinking of suggesting it.

Edited by Neonwarrior

6 minutes ago, Neonwarrior said:

I'm totally with you man, more content is better, and I don't get annoyed by 'clutter' in my games. I just know that the devs shoot down suggestions as 'unnecessary/luxury content' as if they were mosquitoes (even if they have a decent reason for it like game balance). And I'm quite sure that EnigmaGrey would prefer the developers immediately cease all development, because any and all changes are bad and you should feel bad for even thinking of suggesting it.

Lol, there is a history here...

Well, issue is what you're describing is pretty in depth in terms of making from pure raw materials. 

The game takes place in 1993, so a standard solar array (if you could find one) that was built for a home could probably power a hot water heater... once a day? 

Wind power wasn't really a thing, let alone on some type of smaller scale that a single group/person could build outside of grinding grain. Kentucky isn't a great wind state in general either. This includes the issue of battery storage/capacity, which again is extremely limited (non existent) in 93'

The process of making biofuel is insane, while possible it would require such a wide breadth of knowledge in multiple fields the process would take so many steps that it would be something possible, but probably only worth while if you're building an actual community with other NPC survivors. That could be a reasonable long term goal to produce biofuel using skills from your fellow survivors, and could easily be a key trading component with other communities.

Not sure how you would harvest methane without some type of industrial capacity.

Edited by TheLostBigBoss

On 10/20/2019 at 6:35 AM, Neonwarrior said:

Mostly just observations around the suggestion subforum. They're mostly just blunt to the point of coldness. I don't take it personally. 

It's because they've been having the same suggestions sent to them for years and years, they don't mean to sound cold or blunt. Alot of people also act entitled and think their suggestions should automatically be put into the game because they're a paying customer (I'm not applying this to you, I'm just saying). 

Sure Enigma is blunt at times but the dude has been doing awesome support work on this forum for years- that's more than enough to make me blunt and cold as hell if I was in his position. 

Also Enigma doesn't = the entire dev team, I mean have you seen RJ? The dude is always so happy and positive.  

8 hours ago, Mr_Sunshine said:

It's because they've been having the same suggestions sent to them for years and years, they don't mean to sound cold or blunt. Alot of people also act entitled and think their suggestions should automatically be put into the game because they're a paying customer (I'm not applying this to you, I'm just saying). 

Sure Enigma is blunt at times but the dude has been doing awesome support work on this forum for years- that's more than enough to make me blunt and cold as hell if I was in his position. 

Also Enigma doesn't = the entire dev team, I mean have you seen RJ? The dude is always so happy and positive.  

Personally I prefer lemmy's neutral and laid back commenting. This is a dude who can't be phased, at least not that I've seen. Considers proposals seriously and gives reasons for why they couldn't work. 

On 10/20/2019 at 1:07 AM, Neonwarrior said:

What I personally find funny with that ideology is when they added reflections to windows of cars of the skymap and puddles.

That feels more like "luxury" unnecessary content that adds no gameplay value and eats up an unnecessary amount of resource.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:07 AM, Neonwarrior said:

And I'm quite sure that EnigmaGrey would prefer the developers immediately cease all development, because any and all changes are bad and you should feel bad for even thinking of suggesting it.

Uh.

Did it not enter your head at all that this might not be a good thing to say here?

And you wonder why I come off up-tight.

1 hour ago, ZombieHunter said:

What I personally find funny with that ideology is when they added reflections to windows of cars of the skymap and puddles.

That feels more like "luxury" unnecessary content that adds no gameplay value and eats up an unnecessary amount of resource.

The only thing funny I see is your flawed logic.

Solar panel shouldn't exist in the game because solar panels didn't become "popular" until around 1998, 7 years after the game is set.

Window Reflections, while a luxury in terms of needing shaders to function (something we couldn't do for years in order to maintain compatibility with older graphics cards) don't have that problem.

I really don't know how where you got the idea that I think it's it just a luxury that we just can't afford right now. That's just silly.

... sometimes I wonder if you guys remember what it was like before the internet and before youtube was there to teach us everything. Not like it was that long ago - the internet even 10-12 years ago sucked due to the lack of HD content. Just because you're aware of it now, and feel that you could do it yourself, doesn't mean that it existed, was common knowledge, or readily available in the early 90s.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:19 AM, grammarsalad said:

In other words things that actually existed back then, that I actually support. 

Civil Defense went so far as to send pamphlets describing how to create wood gas generators. It's. Appropriate, it's something that in theory someone familiar with welding in basic sheet metal work can do.

Same with using an alcohol-fueled engine. Not like multi-fuel engines haven't it existed in the past, even though we don't even call them biofuel - because they aren't. Same with potato batteries, you want them? Go ahead. At least it's something that we actually did back then.

But no, solar panels. Biodiesel. Can't have the real things, we got to have those things from a decade in the future because it'd be so cool. I just really want them. /s

Keep suggesting the same things and coming up with more convoluted reasons for why you should have it vs concentrating on the things that are readily attainable, and you get an annoyed Enigma.

23 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Window Reflections, while a luxury in terms of needing shaders to function (something we couldn't do for years in order to maintain compatibility with older graphics cards) don't have that problem.

I really don't know how where you got the idea that I think it's it just a luxury that we just can't afford right now. That's just silly.

My definition of Luxury is not of time, but of computer resources. 

I am a person who always promotes more functionality than form.

For example Animation update is great because it provides new functionality as well as form. It adds value to the game much more than visuals by allowing things which were not able to be done before.

Puddles and Skyboxes adds nothing of real value. Just because something can be done doesn't always mean it needs to be done.   In case of Shaders I think something far more functionally and visually pleasing would be the ability to use Spray paint on the ground and walls.  Either using pre-set designs or allowing totally hand made ones - similar to how its done on the map ( this case though player made is probably not a great idea ) . 

Edited by ZombieHunter

39 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

( this case though player made is probably not a great idea ) . 

Player made is always a great idea. Or are you too afraid people will spraypaint penises in their singleplayer game where they can mod in whatever they want?

Edited by Neonwarrior

37 minutes ago, Neonwarrior said:

Player made is always a great idea. Or are you too afraid people will spraypaint penises in their singleplayer game where they can mod in whatever they want?

Gotta second this. Why shouldn't people be able to paint whatever they want in their own game?

4 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

My definition of Luxury is not of time, but of computer resources. 

I am a person who always promotes more functionality than form.

For example Animation update is great because it provides new functionality as well as form. It adds value to the game much more than visuals by allowing things which were not able to be done before.

Puddles and Skyboxes adds nothing of real value. Just because something can be done doesn't always mean it needs to be done.   In case of Shaders I think something far more functionally and visually pleasing would be the ability to use Spray paint on the ground and walls.  Either using pre-set designs or allowing totally hand made ones - similar to how its done on the map ( this case though player made is probably not a great idea ) . 

So, you're just going to ignore everything I wrote and focus on your opinion on where resources should be spent?  I never held the position that solar panels were costly in terms of resources to implement. They don't find the game's setting - the functionality they provide doesn't matter if they're out of place. Most of your ideas don't fit the game's setting or the developer's goals for the game, and that's why they get rejected. It's not because they're a luxury in terms of resources or because we don't feel they have functionality over form (whatever that means in this context).

I don't care about your thoughts on resource allocation, dude - it's not your business where we spend out time on developing our game and it's not welcome. I don't care if you personally can't see the value something adds and am not going to waste my time arguing with you over your lack of vision -- it's not actually about what you personally want in the game, anyway.  Though we value people's opinions, we also have to curate them (literal tens of thousands of them) and select the ones that fit from the ones that don't. So, take the "no" and drop it re:

* Dumbing down zombies
* Methane capture technology
* Solar panels (excepting what amount to low-wattage childrens toys, RVs, or possibly off of sign lighting, but these were all pretty shit options; excepting solar-heating of water, a different technology that people often confuse with solar panels)
* Biodiesel

Things that do fit are
* small wind turbines (common enough in rural areas for water pumping or to get some electricity)

* small water turbines (see above)

* Alcohol distillation

* Multi-fuel engines (kerosene, alcohol, gasoline -> assuming PZ ever has more than one fuel)

* Wood gas production and compression

* Potato batteries (because lol, why not)

Rest of you guys can post your suggestions elsewhere, but consider re: drawing penises. Someone has decide if they want you to be able to spam penises in the game, then someone has to do the art for desired penises, then someone else has to write the your penis-centric code. It's not like there aren't penis-sprites in-game to take a feature away from you or to punish you, it's because adding that level of penis-centric customization takes work and is a personal choice as to whether we'd even want it in the game (personally, I don't care either way, but opinions will differ among team members).