Effects of Winter on Player/Zombies

ZonaryQuasar

Lately I've been playing with a custom sandbox setting that starts on december. In less than one week playing, the streets are already full of snow,  temperatures range betweeen 5 ºC to -10 ºC.

What I realized was that my character's movement and the zombies were not affected by the snow.  The Hypothermia moodle does affect character's speed according to the wiki, but only the snow does not.

On this play session, I started having lots of ideas to spice (well, actually the opposite) freeze things up a bit in the winter.

List of suggestions:

1. If snowing, player clothes can get wet, requiring changing clothes after X hours beneath the snow (suggested value for X: 5)

As it is right now, I could easily spend all the day/afternoon out in the open killing zeds and return to my apartment for the night without having to do anything to warm myself (besides wear a sweater and pants). Almost -10 ºC and if I stay indoors, not a single negative moodle pops up.  That may be to the fact that probably houses have heating, but still I think it would be valid requiring a change of clothes after using them beneath the falling snow (I never saw snow myself so I don't know how wet can your clothes get, but since snow is just frozen water then I think after touching your clothe, it should melt, right?).

2. Player's can warm up standing next to a warmth kitchen oven

Actually I didn't test this in game to see if it's already a thing or not, but standing to a warmth kitchen oven should raise the character's body temperature, even after the oven is turned off (the same way it goes to warm food, the food keeps cooking even after you turn the oven off because it's warm). One more thing to player's keep track of in winter time: Did I turned the oven off before going to bed? 

3. Chararacter's and zombies movement affected by snow (suggested values: -10% if snowing, -10% movement speed if ground covered by snow, -1% for each degree below 0º C)

Self explanatory. Walking on heavy snow/streets full of snow should affect movement speed.

4. Zombies exposed to the snow/cold for too long (one week?) have a chance of becoming frozen (maybe change their sprites to a frozen/icy one)

Again, self explanatory. Since players can froze to death by hypotermia, how can they not? Of course they wouldn't die, but they should at least freeze. Would not affect indoors zombies.

Please, leave your opinion and give feedback, if possible.

12 minutes ago, ZonaryQuasar said:

4. Zombies exposed to the snow/cold for too long (one week?) have a chance of becoming frozen (maybe change their sprites to a frozen/icy one)

Again, self explanatory. Since players can froze to death by hypotermia, how can they not? Of course they wouldn't die, but they should at least freeze. Would not affect indoors zombies.

I've always hoped for something like this.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:16 AM, Okamikurainya said:

What could be interesting is going with WWZ's idea of zombies freezing in the winter. In this case, the zombies become static, just standing there but they'll start to wake up if a player is nearby. I'll bet that if you've played default survival that you'd have killed a lot of zombies by this point and a frozen static zombie amongst corpses would be hard to spot. So while you've gone into that house thinking you're safe, the zombies you passed outside are starting to wake up and they're going to come for you.

An excerpt from the book:

It took a lot of time, but eventually the sun did come out, the weather began to warm, the
snow finally began to melt. By mid-July, spring was finally here, and so were the living
dead.

One of the other team members calls us over. A zombie is half
buried, frozen from the waist down in the ice. The head, arms, and upper torso are very much
alive, thrashing and moaning, and trying to claw toward us.l
Why do they come back after freezing? All human cells contain water, right? And when
that water freezes, it expands and bursts the cell walls. That's why you can't just freeze
people in suspended animation, so then why does it work for the living dead?
The zombie makes one great lunge in our direction; its frozen lower torso begins to snap.
Jesika raises her weapon, a long iron crowbar, and casually smashes the creature's skull.

3 hours ago, ZonaryQuasar said:

Chararacter's and zombies movement affected by snow (suggested values: -10% if snowing, -10% movement speed if ground covered by snow, -1% for each degree below 0º C)

Self explanatory. Walking on heavy snow/streets full of snow should affect movement speed.

Maybe not if the ground is covered in snow, but if a snowdrafts appear? That'd require you to remove snow sometimes so you'd be able to move faster in some area.

Also some ice if the temperature was changing constantly for some days (especially in the late fall/early spring) would be nice.