FPS Drops/Stuttering v40.43

Object704

Hey.

I'm experiencing random micro-stuttering when moving my character around, and more so when I'm driving a car.

It has randomly started occurring to the point where I've deleted saved games to start fresh, removed mods, re-installed the game, re-installed the game onto my SSD, disabled my AVG Anti-Virus etc but I still experience this stuttering. I've even gone as far as trying to increase the RAM allocation in the game to see if that makes any difference, which it does not.

It has been fine for months but as of the last 2-3 weeks it has started doing this for no reason that I can identify.

PC Specs:

i7-6700K @ 4GHz,

DDR4 32GB @ 3200MHz,

GTX 1080.

Edited by Object704

You could try deleting the Zomboid folder to start totally fresh, as that stays even after reinstalling the game.
Other than that, have you installed any other external programs that would mess with the game? Or even changes some game settings to different values.

With those specs, your game should be running just fine unless there is some weird mod messing with it or external programs.

10 hours ago, Beard said:

You could try deleting the Zomboid folder to start totally fresh, as that stays even after reinstalling the game.
Other than that, have you installed any other external programs that would mess with the game? Or even changes some game settings to different values.

With those specs, your game should be running just fine unless there is some weird mod messing with it or external programs.

Honestly, I can't even remember if I did delete the Zomboid folder. I will have to try this and let you know the results.

Edited by Object704

Hmm, it would be pretty difficult to identify as to what can cause those micro stutters. Since it only started happening these last few weeks it would usually mean that something outside of the game could slow it down. Maybe a new security program. Maybe a blue light filter program like f.lux. Maybe turning on Steam / Discord overlays and such.
I would probably looks first there, if anything changed between those weeks before and now.
You could also try changing a few settings in the Options, like turning off Post Process and lowering other settings. There are a few combinations of settings and different people are comfortable with different options there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been plagued with this micro stuttering issue myself for quite some time and have tried a lot of things but nothing worked (except one).

Basically, I had the problem for a long time, but I thought the problem was with my older GPU (had a GTX 680 - 2GB) and my "low" system memory (had 8GB).

But the random stuttering problem persisted even after upgrading the memory to 16GB and the GPU to a GTX 1660 TI.

Dropping most of the game's settings down to zero or disabled/low was the only way I initially found to bypass the stuttering problem.

However I noticed that, when running PZ, some of my 8 logical processors where peaking to 90-100%, while others where mostly idle.

Long story short, I disabled "hyper-threading" in my BIOS cpu settings, and the CPU usage became much more consistent (all 4 processors/cores where now similarly used around 60-70%) and the stuttering all but vanished. I only get a bit of lag when the game starts, maybe 30 seconds in, then everything runs (mostly) smoothly, with very very rare stuttering (usually when loading new map chunks).

These are my current game settings:

Fullscreen:Yes / Borderless Window: No / VSync: No / Multi-core: Yes / Post-processing: Yes / Resolution : 2560x1080 / 3D Models : All / 3D corpses : Yes / Blood Decals :100% / Lock Framerate : Uncapped / UI Offscreen Rendering : Yes / UI Rendering FPS : 15 / Texture Compression : No /  Double sized textures : Yes / Lighting quality : High / Lighting updates : 15 / New roof-Hiding : Yes / Enable Zoom :Yes (200% , 75%) / Wind sprite effects : Enabled / Door shaking on hit : Enabled / Dynamic skybox : Yes / Environment reflections : Yes

Just for reference my pc specs are:

i7-3770K @ 3.40GHz,

DDR3 16GB @ 1600MHz,

GTX 1660 TI

PZ installed on Kingston SSD

Win 10 x64 (1809).

PZ 40.43 (GOG), single player

Hope this helps.

pz_hyperthread_off.jpg

pz_hyperthread_on.jpg

Edited by gamatos

• 1 month later...

In my case I've solved the micro stuttering problem by disabling the antivirus when I play (what you already tried) but you can also try adding the %UserProfile%\Zomboid folder to the exceptions list and see if that helps. I still have a framedrop when driving in the rain though.