Survivor Stories (0.1.0)

RoboMat

Survivor Stories (WIP)

This is the latest mod I've been working on. It basically adds a bunch of readable messages to loot containers all over the world which describe the horrors of the Zombie Apocalypse but also the life before the Outbreak. All in all it should create a bit more immersion :)

Also: Easter Eggs.

sneakPeek1.jpg

This mod is heavily in development at the moment. Expect bugs and problems all around ;)

Download from pz-mods.net

8o6exC7.png

! IMPORTANT: You will need to install my modding utilities to be able to use this mod !

I'm also going to accept custom stories / notes etc. as long as they fit the style of the game & mod.

Contributors
  • Rathlord
  • Gammlernoob
Planned
  • Only some notes will have survivor messages on them. Empty notes can be used to write your own stuff down on them.
  • Better UI
  • Specific spawns
  • More stories / notes
  • Writeable journal
Known Issues
  • Item's can only be clicked when expanded
  • Ui doesn't have scrollbars
  • Text field isn't correctly wrapped in UI atm
  • Notes can be found too easy
  • Note-Items have no further use once all of them have been found
Permission (Click the spiffo for more informations):
MODS_03.png

Changelog

v0.1.0 (Released)

• Unique stories
    => Each note can only be found once
  • Added new items:
    => Common Note
    => List (no use atm)
    => Police Repor (no use atm)
  • Added UI for story reading
    => Can be resized and closed
  • Added Story Loader
    => Automatically loads stories from a list
    => Errors don't crash the game anymore
  • Added 11 new stories

That's excellent idea!

I was looking for something like this as always when I see blood splatter somewhere on wall or couple of zombies in house I'm thinking what happened there,.Like its blood from suicide or fight? Was these zombies family members? Who was infected first and what happened next?

Can't wait for the contributions :) They have to be in plain text without any formatting though (UTF-8 too) or they won't be read correctly through lua. I already have the story loading down - it will be pretty easy to add custom ones :)

The UI is giving me an headache though :D

It would be awesome if the story in this thread was separated by entries/pages and spread across the spawn points, so you can find random pieces of entries to put them together as a whole in the end.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2772-knox-county-survival-repost-from-previous-forum/

It has a lot of stuff to cover, and generally is a very, very enjoyable read :P

Totally missed the replies in this thread. Sorry folks!

I love this. I may contribute some :) is there a max length?

Of course tooks! The more the merrier :) There is no maximum length but I guess they should be short enough to be read easily in the game (no Lord of the Rings for example ^^).

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2772-knox-county-survival-repost-from-previous-forum/

It has a lot of stuff to cover, and generally is a very, very enjoyable read :P

The problem with stuff that is posted on IPB is that it is messed up with strange formatting most of the time also I would've to ask Josh before using it. But I will see what I can do :)

That's something I discussed with RoboMat a while back Leolvanov. Hopefully in the future he can kind of lead you with "breadcrumbs" through the story of one group of survivors.

Not sure how possible it is though. I already have some problem with unique spawns and stuff like that. I will try to have "sneak peek" version in the next few days with just some simple stuff implemented.

I've been wanting to see something like this for ages - excellent stuff! Will try to sent some stuff your way soon, (just in the process of updating my manual at the moment)

(clyde)

Hehe to be honest, your story was the first one I've used for testing the UI :D

Just make sure you post the story in code-tags so it doesn't get screwed by formatting.

For the proper length of a text I think this is a nice example (by Rathlord):

Dear Diary,I can't believe Muldraugh is having riots! We're such a small town, it's really strange. The radio station said people were rioting because of the economy, but the people of Muldraugh are good folks.We care about our friends, neighbors, and families too much to be burning down houses, breaking down doors, and hurting people. Aunt Beru even said Uncle Owen was out there! Uncle Owen is the nicest man I've ever met, he would never do this to people he's known for 85 years.I think something strange is going on, something the radio and tv aren't telling us. Maybe that's why people are rioting, because they found out what was going on and are angry?At any rate, I'm going to stay nice and cozy locked up in my house tonight. I'm sure it will all have blown over by tomorrow...

Of course longer stories can be split up into multiple notes.

I've been wanting to see something like this for ages - excellent stuff! Will try to sent some stuff your way soon, (just in the process of updating my manual at the moment)

(clyde)

Hehe to be honest, your story was the first one I've used for testing the UI :D

Just make sure you post the story in code-tags so it doesn't get screwed by formatting.

hehehehe, no worries, you can use whatever you want of mine!  :)

If I want to send anything direct to you guys, (rather than posting), I'm assuming plain text versions would be suitable?

Please note that this release is a proof-of-concept and still has quite some issues and problems :P If you are curious you can check it out though :)

v0.1.0 (Released)

• Unique stories

=> Each note can only be found once

• Added new items:

=> Common Note

=> List (no use atm)

=> Police Repor (no use atm)

• Added UI for story reading

=> Can be resized and closed

• Added Story Loader

=> Automatically loads stories from a list

=> Errors don't crash the game anymore

• Added 11 new stories

Plain text and UTF-8 is best :)

Also I will probably release the first prototype of this mod later on this evening :)

Sneak peak:

sneakPeek1.jpg

So Katie's note filled me with a little bit of sadness and a bucket of dread :( Poor katie.

I hope she tasted nice.

Oh my gosh I still haven't written anymore up. Screw my busy life! Today!

My life isnt even busy so I can't use this excuse. I just think about what I should write and my brain goes "What? you expect me to actually THINK of something?" and then it starts singing music to me ._. useless brain

So I made some changes to the file / story loader and it is now able to read tags. This will allow story creators to specify certain things for their stories later on (at least that's how I planned it :D) - for example if a story is unique, or where it should spawn...

In the next update the mod will be able to read two tags namely <title> and <author>:

<title>Sheetrope for the Treehouse<author>RoboMatHon', the kids want to have a sheetrope for their treehouse. Can you get some sheets and nails from the general store later on?. - Lydia

will return:

9 Sheetrope for the Treehouse by RoboMat

Of course this is just the beginning! But as I think proper credits are important <author> was a must for me to implement ;)

Getting pretty close to the 0.2.0 release. I have improved the story loader and it now is able to distribute unique stories throughout the world and also spawn notes in specific locations (for example some notes only spawn in the police station). This way story writers can write notes that lead the player around the map.

The story loader support new tags for this purpose. Make sure your story files contain these lines:

<title><author><spawn><coordX><coordY>

Global story (can spawn in every container given in the <spawn> line - <coordX> and <coordY> aren't needed):

<title>Global Story<author>RoboMat<spawn>bin/counter/desk/inventorymale/inventoryfemale/wardrobe This is a global story and can appear in any container given in the <spawn> line.

Specific Story (will always spawn in the container at the given coordinates):

<title>Specific Story<author>RoboMat<spawn>coords<coordX>10639<coordY>10410 This is a specific story that will spawn at the given coordinates (in this example in the muldraugh police station).

To find out the coordinates of a container I suggest that you use my coordinate-viewer-mod. I will update it with a right-click function soonish.