Sign in to follow this  
MrBlue

Mentoring/Training

I was just thinking maybe for certain, more teachable skills in the game, players that have a high level in that domain should have the option to mentor/train another player in it, in a way that is better than what a book could havefer. Perhaps this would progress the skill, or add a larger XP boost. When NPC's come you could also commodify such trainers similar to Elder Scrolls games where you can pay someone to teach you something, except in PZ maybe it would be in the form of supplies or relationship points etc.

Even just being around somebody of higher skill while they're "doing their thing" should give you an XP boost, or raise your own skill slightly. For example - If a mechanic of decent skill is fixing a car and you're hanging around watching them and handing them tools - you are going to end up learning something. It would be the same for most (but not all) skills in PZ.

14 minutes ago, Trojan_Turps said:

I think this could be best done as a 'mentor' trait.

Teaching is a skill.

A lot of people are useless at teaching.

I think 'useless,' is a bit of a stretch. Maybe a Mentor trait could give a larger boost, but overall I think with enough time an experienced person can still give you a lot more than a book can even if they're not the best at 'teaching,' per se. A better teacher who can communicate well can definitely go a long way, but my guitar teacher who speaks broken English can still get hands on to help me play better than what a book can give me. Hope that analogy makes sense.

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

It would be the same for most (but not all) skills in PZ.

Right, something like electricity and carpentry this would work for, meanwhile for something like sprinting you're probably on your own. Maybe fitness instructors can be specifically be able to do such things though. I don't know, I'm sure there are a handful that can't exactly be taught. Ooooh Fitness levels are definitely one.

In sort of a Mount and Blade-esque manner (where you have party members buffing certain traits, though in this case people are working with specific members to train them), you could have certain trainers in your group to make your survivors into something of an army. Someone to help with shooting, someone to help with fitness, etc.

Edited by MrBlue