Add Guns that add to world building

Bourbon

First off:

There are already countless suggestions in the type of "Add Fullaouto Shootgun to PZ" This ist one of them. (Kindoff at least)

It is important to note that adding to many guns to the vanilla game would be counterproductive. While the gun nuts of us may appreciate it, the majority of players would be just overwhelmed and not enjoying gun gameplay. Adding more and modern guns should be left to ORGM – Mod.

Following I will explain why a gun would make gameplay sense and add to the world building.

I will also add some stats, and a possible ingame name. (The devs already said that they wouldn´t do real names but realistic sounding names)

Also should be noted that there shouldn´t be to many different calibers of ammuntion for gameplay reasons. Also some of the gameplay shouldn´t be realistic at all costs. Some game tropes should still apply. I.e Revolvers need less maintainance, AKs are not accurate for example.

Civillian guns:

This is the section with the most diversety in guns, because civvies dont have to follow strict supply lines. These guns should be common, ammo for them mabye not so.

Handguns:

Glock 17 (Polymer 9mm pistol)– A light and high capacity polymer handgun. In ´93 there already were glocks, and they were in quite common use, but not as much as other disigns. Cal 9x19 17+1 rd

Gameplay: This would be a relativly rare gun, but with the most magazine capacity. Good for shooting small groups of zombies or for self defense against dogs, people. Especially because it is lightweight you would have a easier time carring it.

Beretta M9 /92FS (Steel 9mm pistol) – As the standart handgun of the US – Army a lot of civilians picked up the gun already proven by the military. 15+1 rds of 9x19 and accurate to shoot.

Gameplay: This would be a common gun, but with the second to most magazine capacity. Good for shooting small groups of zombies or for self defense against dogs, people. It is easyer to shoot than the Polymer pistol. But heavier.

1911 (45 cal Pistol) – As the former standard handgun of the US Armed Forces it was a popular choice for a home defense weapon for many citizens. 7 +1 rds of .45 ACP

Gameplay: This gun delivers more UMPF than the 9mm pistols. Could be used for hunting even. But you would have to reload more often. Also quick follow up shots are harder because of the recoil.

Revolver 2"; 4"; 6" (.357 Revolver)

There were many different revolver types in 1993 but functionaly they all were similar. So the Revolver in game should be only different by barrel lengh. While 2" is the lightest and easyest to carry but hardest to shoot. Other way around for the 6" being best to shoot but heavy. The 4" is good compomise. All hold 6 rds of .357 Magnum ammunition

Gameplay: This gun delivers more UMPF than the 45 pistols. Could be used for hunting. Quick follow up shots are harder because of the recoil. Also malfunctions are more uncommon and you don´t have to maintain them alot.

Makarov (Surplus Pistol)

With the fall of the Udssr a lot of surplus flooded american markets under it was this pocket pistol. It would mabye found in gun shops by the barrel. It is hard to shoot but lightweight. It barely costed 100$ around that time and would be very common in the area. It doesn´t offer a lot of gameplay value but would add to world building a lot since surplus guns are very common still in the USA and even more in 1993. 8+1rds of proprietary 9x18 ammo.

Gameplay:

This would be a good last ditch weapon. Perfect to hide in a stash because it wouldn´t be a huge loss. Also not bad for Everyday carry. It kicks pretty hard for its small size.

Rifles:

AR15 (Civillian Assault Rifle)

Basic AR15 type rifles with 16" barrels were common to see in the hands of civillians in 1993. It is an iconic weapon and already planned in the game, so not much to say about that. 30+1rds of 5,56/.223

Gameplay:

A perfect weapon for hunting, shooting large groups of zombies, base defense. This thing can do anything pretty well. Needs some regular maintainance. Should be rare.

Ruger Mini 14 (Civillian Rifle)

The Ruger Mini 14 is also an iconic weapon of the era, made known by the A-Team in the 80s it still serves as a more civillian-looking weapon in 1990s that a lot of farmers owned for pest conrol. 20+1rds of 5,56/.223

Gameplay:

This gun is for everyone who can´t find an Civillian Assault Rifle or wants more relyability. Still good rifle useful for everything.

SKS (Surplus Rifle)

Since the fall of the Soviet Union a lot of Surplus rifles influxed the US. The SKS was always a semi-auto-rifle, so it wouldn´t be subject to NFA regulations and could be imported as a complete rifle. Comes with a bayonet already attached to the rifle. Fixed 10rds of 7,62x39.

Gameplay:

This Rifle is better suited for hunting than the smaller caliber semi-autos but the internal mag makes it weird to reload, so not particularly good for horde killing. But the bayonet mabye makes it a useful rifle to stash near your base walls and use it for single zombies, while you can quickly fire at groups.

AKM (AK Rifle)

The same that goes for the SKS goes for the AK. These Aks are Semi-auto-rifles built from cut up "Parts Kits" and they were common for people to own. Not much to say, about the MOST iconic rifle in the world. Full-Auto varients would be very uncommon since NFA regulations are in effect. So only semi-auto- AK rifles should be in the game. 30+1rds of 7,62x39

Gameplay:

This rifle can do everything the Civillian Assault Rifle can do. But it is way heavier, less accurate, but needs less maintainance and delivers more punch.

Hunting Rifle:

There were many hunting Rifles around in ´93 so a non-descript "Hunting Rifle should be fine. There is no need to add more types than the one that is already in the game. 5rds of 308/7,62

Gameplay:

Shoot zombies and players from afar. Reliable. Accurate. Perfect for hunting. Not suited for hordes. Should be very common.

Varmint Hunting Rifle:

The same as the normal hunting rifle, it also is in the game already, nothing to change. 5rds of 5,56/.223

Gameplay:

Same as Hunting rifle, but lighter and less powerful.

Shotguns:

Pump-Action-Shotgun

Already is in the game. 5+1Rds of 12g shotshells

Gameplay:

This is the perfect starter Weapon. While heavy and long it packs a lot of punch at close ranges. Perfect for shooting groups and hordes of zombies.

Semi-Auto-Shotgun

There were Semi-auto-shotgun mostly for hunters in the 90s but some police forces may have used them too. Mabye add to varients, one for hunters with wooden stock and one for police with a synthetic stock and extended tube. 4 +1rds of 12g shotshells

Gameplay:

This is a more advanced shotgun. Still a shotgun so horde hunting is what it is most useful at. But also good for bird hunting.

Doublebarreled Shotgun

Is already planned afaik. 2 rds for obvious reasons.

Gameplay:

This is the most basic shotgun. Load two, shoot two. Good for starters and very durable. Can easily cut down to a hand cannon i.e. Sawed off shotgun.

Military:

Handgun:

Beretta M9 (Steel 9mm Pistol)

Already discribed in the civillian-section. This gun is identical.

Rifle:

M16/M4 (Miltary Rifle (long)/ Miltary Rifle (short))

The US Armed forces used the M16 rifle since the 60s and the shortend since 91 in special forces roles. So the longer M16 variant would be more common. 30+1rds of 5,56/.223

Gameplay:

Similar to the Civillian Assault Rifle, but this one can shoot full auto. This shouldn´t be of much use though. The Shorter Variant is lighter.

MP5 (9mm Machine pistol)

Before the M4 was a thing SOCOM used the MP5 for CQB situations. So it would be in the inventory in ´93 but very uncommon. 30+1rd of 9x19

Gameplay:

This one is a gem. 9mm rounds are more plentyful, easier to shoot with less recoil. Makes the perfect horde killing weapon for expirienced players. Should be very rare.

M14 (Marksmans rifle)

This rifle was still in use in marksmans roles. So there would be some around but not very common.

20+1rds of 308/7,62

Gameplay:

It is very useful for hunting. Less useful for horde killing, because the ammo is more rare than 223 or 9mm. But it is a good weapon for sniping players.

Shotgun:

Pump-Action-Shotgun

Since 1979 there also were some Mossberg 500 type shotguns in use. Even though there were some differences to the civillian models, for gameplay purposes it wouldn´t make sense to add an additional military shotgun. But Soldier zombies may be found in possesion of a shotgun.

Police:

In rural areas some police officers might have carried their own handguns but most of them would use their issued sidearms. This could be a M9 or a Glock etc.

They would have a rifle in the car and in the stations. A pump-action-shotgun and some AR15 or Ruger Mini 14 Rifles.

So in conclusion:

17 Weapons in 8 calibers. So a comprehensible list that covers all gameplay playstyles.

I didn´t go over accessories because the system the devs have going is good already. There isn´t a lot to change that would havefer significant benefit.

Also I don´t think that there should be multible ammo types exept for shotguns, because that is their main appeal. There should be Slugs (hunting, player killing), Birdshot (hunting birds/rabbids); Buckshot (hunting and zombie killing)

Guns that mabye should be added. A discussion about that would be nice.

.22lr rifles and pistols

This would add just another caliber into the mix. .22 lr is really common but i cannot see what good addition it would make to gameplay.

Belt-fed maschine guns

Well, the military would have used them against the hordes, so they should be there. But it would be hard to make them useful for gameplay.

Please join into the conversation. Now that the animation system is making a good progress we mabye gonna see a resurgence in gun use in PZ.

Edited by Bourbon

2 hours ago, Geras said:

They're adding new guns with animation update.

Thats what i meant with " Now that the animation system is making a good progress we mabye gonna see a resurgence in gun use in PZ."

I just wanted to compile a list of guns that would be in the area in that time, that make sense for compelling gameplay. They already are adding guns from my list.

I don't want mean to sound rude, but if anyone want's to play with an extensive list of guns, there's ORGM already for that.

That's the main reason I never played with that mod... too many guns. 

For me a game like Project Zomboid doesn't need more than 2-3 types of pistol/revolvers, 2-3 types of shotgun, 2-3 types of automaric rifles and maybe a sniper rifle.

More than that just complicates things, being number one reason: Not everyone knows about guns and their names and their differences.

5 hours ago, ZonaryQuasar said:

I don't want mean to sound rude, but if anyone want's to play with an extensive list of guns, there's ORGM already for that.

That's the main reason I never played with that mod... too many guns. 

For me a game like Project Zomboid doesn't need more than 2-3 types of pistol/revolvers, 2-3 types of shotgun, 2-3 types of automaric rifles and maybe a sniper rifle.

More than that just complicates things, being number one reason: Not everyone knows about guns and their names and their differences.

That is EXAKTLY what I want too. Don´t have too many guns. But there should still be a variety of guns, for varietys sake.

I proposed 17 different guns, you said 10 would be enough. What guns would you want to include?

10 minutes ago, Bourbon said:

That is EXAKTLY what I want too. Don´t have too many guns. But there should still be a variety of guns, for varietys sake.

I proposed 17 different guns, you said 10 would be enough. What guns would you want to include?

Well if you don't want too many guns too then I agree with you. But 17, at least in my opinion, is still too much.  

When I said 10, I wanted to say "at total", not "more 10 guns"

For gameplay purposes you are right. The game would function perfectly with only 10 guns. Hell, even with only one pistol, one revolver, one shotgun, one rifle. It would still work.

But additional guns would add A LOT to the world building. For example a non-gun nut player may still want to have an AK47, and an M16. But for gameplay the rifles both would work similar.

I talked to a co worker who was living in rural Virginia in ´93 he is a total gun nut and knows a lot about guns in the time. He came up with a huge list of guns that he and a lot of his friends owned at the time. The list I posted is supposed to include not only guns for gameplay but also guns that would have been there in 1993 rural Kentucky.

I like that ORGM adds so many guns and different caliber of ammunition, it gives it alot of variation so you dont find the same gun over and over. Also it feels alot more realistic to have tons of different weapons in the game world, some rarer than others. 

I really hope TIS adds a Katana eventually(with custom animations like cutting of heads and holding the sword) otherwise that will be modded for sure.

4 minutes ago, josko_91 said:

I really hope TIS adds a Katana eventually(with custom animations like cutting of heads and holding the sword)

Where the hell would you find a Katana in Kentucky? In the 90's? Also i don't think Katana is good enough to chop heads right off (I doubt anything is tbh.)

I was thinking that it could come with a profession like Yakuza, being a member of yakuza and having a katana that has been passed on for generations :p

Makes more sense than finding it in some box lol.

Or make a Antique sword shop or museum in Luisville, having it on a display being a one of a kind weapon in the game!