Basements/subways

sumguy720

I think basements are a great idea. Great place to hide, great place to store items that you don't need frequently (rather than storing them in what I'm assuming is supposed to be a closet in most houses).

Ā 

Also offers a way to introduce a new game mechanic, flooding anyone?

I think the reason this hasn't happened yet is that it'd be kind of complicated with the map... When going up, you just layer things on top of what exists, and the higher floors aren't rendered unless you're standing there. If you went -down- they'd have to make the entire main level invisible, which doesn't happen under any circumstances thus far. Might be a bit tricky depending on how maps are designed... hm.

Ā 

I was watching Shawn of the Dead this morning and the bit at the end with the Winchester made me think of this. The type of basement with a hatch to the outside would be a blessing and a curse in this scenario :) and the perpetual darkness of most basements is always a good place to run into wayward undead and boxes of junk.Ā 

Yes, Lemmy mentioned that he wants to do sewers (which would also suggest basements) but I have no idea if this is actually plausible with the current game engine. It'll probably have to be one of those "wait and see" things.

Stop with this, dude.

Ā 

:'( guess you do hate me. I apologize and ill apologize for future events ><''

Ā 

Calm down mate, he's not hurting anyone. Everyone can post how they want to, even if it's weird XD

Ā 

Thanks man. Yeah I'm a wierdo lol... ;-;

Ā 

-Stimixs

You'd have to dig and reinforce. I don't know if you've ever tried to dig a hole deeper than three feet, but they start collapsing pretty easily. :P

Ā 

Ah, yes. And down south especially it's pretty impossible with a shovel. I know where I'm from (in South Carolina) it's all red clay and rocks. They might have a bit better soil in some parts of KY from rivers, but likely mostly the same.

• 8 years later...

love this idea and i've even suggested it few years ago, just imagine that we would be able to travel through sewage systems to various parts of map and literally sneak under zeds noses, although we would stil encounter some of them there,but not that much as on surface,i also got idea for few features:

-manhole that require to uncover in order to enter sewers and would require proper tool like crowbar, some would be already uncovered, zombiesĀ  on surface can get to severs just by falling down uncover manholes but they would be unable to get out as zombies are unable to use ladders in most zombie games/movies (but first devs must implement functional ladders)

-source of tainted rainwater

-very high chance to get rats and mouses via mousetraps