Old Versions?

Okamikurainya

Hey, I was wondering if there was anyway to download legacy versions of the game?
I know the initial release is available on MODDB, I got it recently and had quite a bit of fun experiencing that slice of PZ's history, but I was thinking of like RC2.5 and such? With the expansion of the Knox County map, the farm and such.

Copying this from my post on Zomboid's Steam discussions:

If you do want to play it, you can download the older versions of the game here.
And the post to get it all working with a local Desura server here.

You shouldn't need any old Desura accounts to access it, follow those instructions exactly, and if asked for a username/password enter: email: "game@projectzomboid.com" and password: "password" and it should work.

The "projectzomboid.php" file also is not available, thankfully I have it on my PC. It's just a simple piece of code though.

Inside XAMPP or whichever local server you're using, in external/games which that forum post tells you to create you put that file "projectzomboid.php" and inside of it paste this:

< ? php
echo 'hi';

(without spaces, had to edit and add spaces to this post to actually post that code)

Hopefully that's all explained well and works out for you, let me know if not. I might have missed something. Should work for anyone else that wants to go back and play those versions.

Bearing in mind the controls are wonky, sometimes there's a java memory allocation ♥♥♥♥ up where you can't launch the game and the NPCs are broken.

But that story is there if you want to partake in smothering Kate again.

20 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

(snip)

Sadly still no luck, followed everything to the letter as far as I can see, but I'm stuck because of the login screen. :(

Tried "game" and "password" as passwords, but neither work. With Desura being dead, is this version lost?

1 hour ago, Okamikurainya said:

Sadly still no luck, followed everything to the letter as far as I can see, but I'm stuck because of the login screen. :(

Tried "game" and "password" as passwords, but neither work. With Desura being dead, is this version lost?

The email asked for should be "game@projectzomboid.com" and the password is just "password". It should work perfectly if you have xampp up and running with an apache server, and the php file with that code in its htdocs folder. I've only played it less than a week ago.

23 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

The email asked for should be "game@projectzomboid.com" and the password is just "password". It should work perfectly if you have xampp up and running with an apache server, and the php file with that code in its htdocs folder. I've only played it less than a week ago.

I'm using AMPPS, as I couldn't see a 32bit version for XAMPP.

127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:34:42 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:34:42 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:36:54 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:36:54 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:37:38 +0200] "GET /games/project-zomboid/keys HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0"

It's certainly seems to be picking up what I'm doing, but when I hit "log in", the username and password fields just empty and I'm stuck at stage 1 again.

2 minutes ago, Okamikurainya said:

I'm using AMPPS, as I couldn't see a 32bit version for XAMPP.

127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:34:42 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:34:42 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:36:54 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:36:54 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:20:37:38 +0200] "GET /games/project-zomboid/keys HTTP/1.1" 404 448 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0"

It's certainly seems to be picking up what I'm doing, but when I hit "log in", the username and password fields just empty and I'm stuck at stage 1 again.

I'm not actually familiar with AMPPS. I did find a 32-Bit version for xampp here if you use CTRL + F to search for 32: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Windows/7.3.2/

I can't be too sure whether it's just an AMPPS issue or something else I may have missed out. I had the same problem with the login just resetting but that was because I was entering it wrong but that doesn't seem like the case here unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

(snip)

Alas, still no dice. :(

XAMPP, like AMPPS, is definitely registering the login:

127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:23:57:32 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:23:57:32 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"

But the game just ain't budging.

Also tried compatibility mode and admin rights to no avail.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:59 PM, Okamikurainya said:

Alas, still no dice. :(

XAMPP, like AMPPS, is definitely registering the login:

127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:23:57:32 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2019:23:57:32 +0200] "GET /external/games/projectzomboid.php?username=game@projectzomboid.com&password=password HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Java/1.7.0_03"

But the game just ain't budging. 

Also tried compatibility mode and admin rights to no avail.

Sorry for the late reply.

It's looking like everything was followed by the book in my eyes so unfortunately I'm kind of out of ideas. The only version of the game I've tried was 1.5D in that link, so if you downloaded a different version, there may be a problem with those other versions?

That was all I did to get the old versions working, and I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to other workarounds with those versions. That thread helped me so I condensed it as much as possible to one simple solution, or so I thought. :P

I'll get back to you here if I find some solution for you. Or if you find a solution in the meantime please make sure to reply here for future reference. :)

32 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

I have 1.5D uploaded to Google Drive, if it's any last solution help: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l2R1au5aIoJS2tXLziLD2qSXcP5bl2yP

1.5d works, but it's sadly not the version I was looking for. :unsure:

After logging in with it, I no longer have the login screen pop up... I wonder what changed in the files... Maybe if I can find that, I can transfer that over to the version with the full Knox County map...

Y'see, I've been revamping it for the modern Zomboid and I was hoping to get the layouts and such with the highway and the farmhouse and such.

The "You Have One Day" version is lacking a fair amount of regions and it hasn't exactly aged well...

So I've been changing things up a little bit to make it more believable that these buildings are homes and such:
image.png.e02c8161d6b2273513a49e89335dea58.png

image.png.748c2c1acceab38da6c93d8b4b26dd99.png

image.png.17854669c617a9813725850e7c8a262a.png

8 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

After much effort, I managed to locate the variable that lets you bypass the login. :D
So yay! 02q and RC1 are now working for me!

Glad you found a solution! Could you tell me which variable you modified (or what you did in order to bypass it) so I have it for future reference if anyone else wants to run those versions? :)

48 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

Glad you found a solution! Could you tell me which variable you modified (or what you did in order to bypass it) so I have it for future reference if anyone else wants to run those versions? :)

The method I used could very well be used to pirate the current version of the game, so I'm not sure if I should post the actual method...
Though if the mods are okay with it, I could upload the version of 02q with the bypass in it's entirety, somewhat obfuscating the method. :???:

But it's up to them.

That said, thanks so much for all the help! :D
Goodness knows I most probably would have given up without it!

45 minutes ago, Okamikurainya said:

The method I used could very well be used to pirate the current version of the game, so I'm not sure if I should post the actual method...
Though if the mods are okay with it, I could upload the version of 02q with the bypass in it's entirety, somewhat obfuscating the method. :???:

But it's up to them.

That said, thanks so much for all the help! :D
Goodness knows I most probably would have given up without it!

Watch it. Unless you disable the checksum in every class, it'll eventually eat your saves.

I have the old key files for 2011-2013 builds on a harddrive somewhere. The key files prevent phoning home, so it should disable everything.  I'll see if i can find 'em over the next few days.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Watch it. Unless you disable the checksum in every class, it'll eventually eat your saves.

I have the old key files for 2011-2013 builds on a harddrive somewhere. The key files prevent phoning home, so it should disable everything.  I'll see if i can find 'em over the next few days.

Actually think I bypassed that, though I can't be sure until it happens. The change I made is more of a dirty "ignore" than a crack. Basically got it so that you can just minimize the login and play the game anyhow, rather than affecting the variable itself.

Either way, 02q really is the best of the old versions, if you can find the key files, it would be a massive boon to the community. ^_^

1 hour ago, Okamikurainya said:

Actually think I bypassed that, though I can't be sure until it happens. The change I made is more of a dirty "ignore" than a crack. Basically got it so that you can just minimize the login and play the game anyhow, rather than affecting the variable itself.

Either way, 02q really is the best of the old versions, if you can find the key files, it would be a massive boon to the community. ^_^

Hah. Well that's clever. You as a pirate would have saved me a lot of confusion way back :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived