game lacks common sense realism

Name1234

things such as :

door frame carpentry lvl 2 door carpentry lvl 3? framing a door is more work than putting up a door.

also doors do not use nails

why can i get under the hood of a car but ''need key'' to remove the battery?

why am i using a screwdriver to take off the battery, when a wrench is needed?

3 hours ago, Name1234 said:

door frame carpentry lvl 2 door carpentry lvl 3? framing a door is more work than putting up a door.

I mean, you can cut a rectangle in a wooden board, technically, it becomes a door frame. To make a door, you need to drill the holes for the handle/bolt, mount brackets, install the handle, etc.

So how do you attach it to the door frame?

I guess this depends on the type of car. Don't forget, that this is set in 1993. I know that I've owned cars that have had different parts locked by the key, and batteries that are removed via removing screws (Usually plastic tabs/screws) with a screwdriver.

says car battery at 86% but battery is DEAD?

There is an absolute plethora of other reasons the car may not start. No fuel, too low condition on the engine, to name a couple.

4 hours ago, MrBlue said:

add some risk for the quality of rope, with an improvised sheet rope being very prone to giving in.

I do like this idea, that normal rope could be used, as well as Improvised Sheet Rope. Perhaps 2x rope and 6x sticks can be combined to make a Rope Ladder, too (2x nails to attach to window).

With a rope ladder, you traverse faster, and have almost no risk of falling. Very low chance of being ripped down.

Rope, slightly slower, a chance of falling and injuring yourself.  Small chance of being ripped down

Sheet rope, slower again, and higher chance of falling. High chance of being ripped down. Maybe even only 1x use

On 7/30/2019 at 5:01 PM, Name1234 said:

things such as :

I will tell you why sir... You want the truth? It's because the devs are game designers not mechanics. lmao 

49 minutes ago, MrZombifiedGamer said:

I will tell you why sir... You want the truth? It's because the devs are game designers not mechanics. lmao 

And because a lot of these critiques are based on assumptions that don't really pan out . . .  Common sense isn't really common if your base assumptions are wrong.

Examples:

A) the player-built door depicted in the game is not planed and jointed timber fitted into a single piece. It's more like a shed door, with cross-bracing (even if it's not really obvious as the doors don't have two sides), hence nails. Maybe I'm wrong in that, but given that the only things we have are planks and nails, hammers and saws, and the progression of the art pieces, I don't know why someone would think differently. 

Nails can also, certainly, be used in place of screws (you see it all the time in older homes, as nails were once cheap and screws were not). What's not "common sense" about taking down/adding doors is that the recipe doesn't (or didn't at some point) include an option for nails, screws, or a mix of both.

B) Given that all a frame is four pieces of wood and a couple of wedges, there's no great challenge to adding one to a wall (after all, the game doesn't go so far as to force you to do a cutout and a lintel).  It gives you something you can unlock at level 2 and have a sense of progression from 2 to 3 in an otherwise pretty empty list. It does that because it's a game with a levelling system (one that I've grown increasingly less fond of over the years, admittedly, but it's still the one we have right now.)

C) you need a key to remove many parts from vehicles to prevent idiots trolling you; and because it makes sense that you'd actually need to be able to access the engine compartment to remove a battery (the UI is just a shorthand, game-designer attempt to try and extrapolate it while providing a common interface). It's not about 1:1 realism because it can't really be without being rather tedious (e. g. multiple UIs or hiding details conditionally to get a complete picture of a car vs. "open the Mechanic panel by doing an action on the hood.) 

There's, generally, a reason things like this happen, even if you can't see it or agree with it. It doesn't mean it defies sense. Criticism and suggestions is otherwise welcome, but it doesn't need to framed this way.

• 2 weeks later...