New Infection Options

Bejasc

It's a pretty common option that people recommend for Sandbox - disabling infection.

Disabling infection means that medical supplies have more of a use - as any injury that is given by a zombie - is not as much of a death wish (as there's only a very small chance of surviving this).

With infection turned off, you will need to use your first aid skill and medical supplies to nurse these injuries back to health. For this reason, I personally like to play with Infection turned off.

There are two other options to select from currently.

'Everyones Infected' and 'Blood+Saliva Only'

In the context of a SP play, or a MP play without PVP (which are the two ways I play) - These options are effectively the same. Any Zombie injury will likely kill you. Everyone's infected just means that if you die, even without zombie contact, you will reanimate as a zombie.

What I would like to see is something between the current options, and infection disabled.

Blood+Saliva is already two options combined.

I would love to be able to play with only 'Saliva' as an option - so that zombie injuries such as scratches or cuts, still can be nursed back to health, but if you are unlucky enough to be bitten - this is likely to kill you.

It would be great to see the infection options as

- Everyone's Infected

- Blood+Saliva

- Blood Only

- Saliva Only

- Disabled

What would be even better, is the ability to also customize the infection chance as a sandbox setting.

There's always debate on the chance that a bite or scratch will give you the virus.

Making this a sandbox setting that can be customized, would allow people to tailor it how they would like - as they can with many other settings.

I agree with everything.

On a related note I'd change things a bit so the symptoms wouldn't give away that you're infected.  

I'd prefer to always have a small chance to survive, until my character actually drops dead. Knowing that you're dead before you're actually dead renders what could be the most exciting and tense part of the game pointless, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree wholly. It would be nice if dealing with wounds was more of a concern so having someone with that skill can make a difference. Most of the time, you get hurt, you're dead anyway.

Seems like a good doctor would probably be one of the most comforting and useful people to have around after the apocalypse.

9 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

Is it currently possible to get infected fighting zombies in close quarters while you have open wounds? Otherwise, wouldn't this option be pretty much identical to Blood+Saliva?

I'm not sure what you mean, could you please rephrase?

13 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

Is it currently possible to get infected fighting zombies in close quarters while you have open wounds? Otherwise, wouldn't this option be pretty much identical to Blood+Saliva?

I think currently that more or less means that scratches from zombies can infect you.

You're probably right that were that an option all on it's own, it may be kind of weird that a scratch could infect you, but not bites. I suppose the definition would have to be changed.

Im not understanding - I don't think any definitions would need to be changed, either,

Blood+Saliva / Everyone is Infected - Currently - a scratch or a bite from a zombie, can give you the virus.

Mainly, I would like the option to choose Saliva Only - so that you have to actually be bitten to contract the virus - a zombie could scratch or cut you and you would need to nurse yourself back to health.

(This is not how it works currently, as scratches and cuts currently give you the virus, too)

22 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

it may be kind of weird that a scratch could infect you, but not bites.

You're probably right there. (Blood + Saliva / Everyone's Infected / None / Saliva Only) - These options would be enough, as I'd think it be pretty rare someone play on Blood Only.

Instead of changing the 'definition' - it may just be that it's renamed to 'Cut and Bitten; and 'Biten Only' etc