Compass

MrTrololo

some time passed since we have maps but currently ther are not very useful, at least for me,but compass would change this:

position of character would be displayed on map(assuming character checking proper one)if compass is in eq.

of course would be useless without any maps.

that would be useful feature for example mark already looted places or to know how to get to certain places

There was a lot of talk about this on a thread a little while back. So far, many people want the compass - enough to not just ignore them because experienced players don't need it. It certainly seems to come up enough that we should actually explore this as a possibility rather than immediately dismiss it.

The problem with the camera angle of the game being an end-all be-all is that we also have access to maps that are not oriented in the same direction.

It is very clear that these maps are intended to lead players towards hidden items and provide some kind of direction for different elements of gameplay (hordes, loot, ex-bases) and therefore, there is merit to establish which way is which if one were to try and direct other players using these maps. The maps aren't difficult to understand, but still -

Right now we have "map north" which isn't exactly the same as "top of the screen" North.

Also, providing directions for friends and deciding in-game on what the orientation is. That is a very valid point, one that wasn't successfully ruled out in the last discussion. Having been involved in multiple groups, "top of the screen" and "top right of the screen" and "head right" all mean totally different things from server to server. As much as this was repeated on the last thread, no, there is no solid, stated consensus on this. Is teleporting players the easy answer to write it off - no, it isn't, since using commands for stuff like travel is considered taboo for a lot of people, and a lot of players (like the folks on my server and those that I've joined) play without the use of commands exclusively for the sake of having the fun challenge of playing the game as intended.

I guess it is also a valid point that it may not be as fruitful to implement a navigation object that becomes obsolete through player experience. I think giving an official in-game decision on what's north and what is actually northwest could benefit everyone though, so there is at least more cohesion there.

That's my 2c of the USD. Have a wonderful day!

Edited by Kim Jong Un

As axezombie said, the game's camera does not rotate, so North, East, West and South always face the same directions, meaning a compass would be useless as they do not mark your current position on a map, that would be some kind of GPS system which I dont beleive would have been around back when this game is based. No matter where in the game world you are, these are always the "compass directions":

zomboid.jpg

So adding a "compass" to the game would be nothing more than a static image/set of icons that basically do the same as the image above, which would be kind of pointless.

As Kim Jong Un pointed out, the main consideration is with regards to in game maps, as they can be presented in isometric format, like the game itself, or in top down format, like this:

bedford-falls-map.jpg

The above image is top down, the top of the image is North, any map that is top down like this will always have the top of the image as North. If you find it hard to work out the directions compared to the isometric game world then just imagine rotating this map 45 degrees to the right to make a diamond shape, North is now the same direction on the map as it is in game.

Isometric in game maps already fully match their directions with the actual game world, like so:

0F7029EBF87D5A8282972E42F799D582F3BEACE5.jpg

Anyone using a different version of North, East, West and South, are using them wrong, maybe show them the first image I posted above as a reference.

Along with N, E, W, S, It could be useful to also use directions such as "screen up" instead of "North West", "screen down" instead of "South East", and again, these directions never change.

Thank you for the response, @RingoD123. It may be a more feasible request to have a simple static compass put on the corner ingame map items (perhaps the legend), maybe in the future when there aren't things of higher priority going on. It's a small detail, but it could easily clear up any disagreements when I can't readily send people that image.

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing what you guys pull off in the next build.

• 4 years later...

In the future, when there are fewer pressing issues, it may be possible to implement a simple static compass on the corner in-game map objects (maybe the legend). It's a little point, but it could help settle any misunderstandings that arise from my inability to quickly share that photograph. Continue your excellent work! I can't wait to see the results of the next build you guys are working on.

mini crossword

Edited by horaortiz
I had a spelling mistake

12 hours ago, horaortiz said:

In the future, when there are fewer pressing issues, it may be possible to implement a simple static compass on the corner in-game map objects (maybe the legend). It's a little point, but it could help settle any misunderstandings that arise from my inability to quickly share that photograph. Continue your excellent work! I can't wait to see the results of the next build you guys are working on.

A compass is being added in Build 42.