Minor Suggestion: add arrows on road near sharp 90-degree turns on highway

Darkmark8910

As the title says, some sort of demarcation of an upcoming 90 degree turn on highways and rural roads would be amazing. 

A simple solution would be to remove the lane dividers as players approach the turn, then have an arrow warning on the pavement.

Bonus danger b/c the arrows wouldn't be visible in the dead of winter! 

2 hours ago, Darkmark8910 said:

As the title says, some sort of demarcation of an upcoming 90 degree turn on highways and rural roads would be amazing. 

A simple solution would be to remove the lane dividers as players approach the turn, then have an arrow warning on the pavement.

Bonus danger b/c the arrows wouldn't be visible in the dead of winter! 

The 90 degree turns on the highways are truly an annoyance, since there is no warning whatsoever and you don't have nearly enough notice of them coming because of the limited camera zoom while driving. 

Since the vehicle handling mechanics are designed to support gradual turns (like how real driving works) and decently mimic real handling, the roads where you drive at the highest speeds could at least reflect this - the "offramps" seen in the highway intersections are a gradual curve, so using gradual curves for the larger roads would fix this problem. This is direct proof of smoother curves already being used in the map, but at a smaller scale, that work.

Inner city 90 degree turns and most of the country roads having them I can accept, but the idea that freeway traffic all have to slow down to make 90 degree turns after a long high-speed 50+mph straight can be immersion breaking.

Yes, this change would be hard work - but as the commenter above has said, this is a necessary evil and a change the game should ideally see before release. Map creators are trying to implement something of the sort in their own maps already - it doesn't look pretty, but at least it works out much nicer than this.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I agree with you Kim Jong Un! (and now my name's been added to an FBI watchlist). I figure that adding in arrows or some sort of other demarcation would be a short-term and simpler fix, something a single dev on the dev team could implement in half a day or less. 

1. Make/find arrow art. It's an arrow, so not too hard on the creativity/design front. 
2. Put it on roads in lieu of lane lines as the 90-degree turns appear. 

We like this idea and I will start the process of getting this in game after I ask Mash to make some arrow overlays for the road. My thought is a 90deg left and 90deg right arrow for each of the 4 directions along with a 90deg Left+Right for T-Junctions.

My thinking is placing these about 10-15 tiles from the turn/junction itself on straight long roads.

that would save be building crosses all over the place. i currently mark each side of the road with a cross before a turning so i know to slow down. its slightly worse for me though as i play on a surface pro 4 and for some reason have to be fully zoomed in in order to get any speed while driving. soon as i zoom out the car slows down (can be slower than a zombie walk)

That makes sense @RingoD123! Perhaps putting the arrows a bit further back than 10 tiles? That seems somewhat soon... I suppose you guys will find out once you test out how quick you can react to the arrow based on how far it is! Or making it so the lane markers on the roads turn from a single dashed yellow (which in the US indicate "you can pass") to a double solid yellow earlier than the turn arrow? Double solid yellow lines prohibit passing, usually b/c you're approaching a sharp turn, an intersection, or a hill that'd block your vision of the other lane.