The Deadlands RP

The Deadlands RP

The Deadlands Roleplay Server

Features:

• We are a 24 slot 24/7 roleplay server with regular maintenance and admin supervision.
  • Persistent community driven lore with no lore resets.
  • We have a Community Forum where you can apply to our whitelisted server.
  • We have a Discord Server where you can reach out to other players or ask questions.
  • We allow players to create their own unique stories.
  • We enforce our rules to keep things balanced and fair.

Lore:

It all went to hell so fast. There wasn't time for riots. There wasn't time for war. We just died that fast. Nevertheless, some of us survived. Now we struggle in a world with spotty electricity and water. Without the internet and cell service. Without food from air-conditioned grocers. Now we scavenge, the land and each other.

Will we survive and rebuild civilization? Or… is this how we die?

Mods:

• Hydrocraft
  • ORGM
  • TNT Natural CLock
  • More Build
  • Necroforge
  • FR Used Cars
  • FR Smaller Cars
  • Player Descriptions
  • Gluttony's Profession Mod
  • No Luck

Rules:

• Be nice and play nice outside of the game.
  • Do not bring in-game grievances into the forums or Discord.
  • Actively trying to exploit rules is not allowed.
  • Characters must have a realistic name or a nickname (ex: xXx420blazeitxXx is not permitted).
  • Characters must not steal from other forms of media (ex: playing as Rick Grimes is not permitted).
  • Characters must be 16+ years old.
  • Players may only have 2 active characters at a time.
  • Do not mechanical game (ex: if your character is a scrawny teenager, they probably can't carry 200lbs worth of supplies).
  • Do not force actions upon another player without giving them a chance to react (ex: powergaming, having a character put another character into a choke hold without any sort of played out combat).
  • Do not use real world knowledge about in game events in your roleplay (ex: metagaming, knowing a characters name by reading their name tag in game rather than learning it in character).
  • No excessively offensive characters (ex: playing a one dimensional racist character who's only real character trait is running around calling people racist terms).
  • No erotic roleplay.
  • You must use the in game safehouse system to claim a single house.
  • Each faction member can claim a house. Limit 1 per character.
  • Construction projects must obey the laws of physics (ex: no sky bases).
  • PvP is permitted but must follow all PvP rules listed in our forums.

Notice: These rules are subject to change. For our complete and most up to date rule set can be found here on our forums. 

If you have any questions about our server, Discord, forums, rules or admins then please feel free to ask them here!

Edited by The Deadlands RP

Character Spotlight 1: Lincoln Whittaker - Route 281

Name: Lincoln Whittaker
Aliases: Whit, Red
Origins: Brownwood, Texas

At some point in the evening while half asleep, his third day on the road surrounded by people he was still yet unfamiliar, slumped in a shallow ditch a mile off the interstate, a child attached himself to Whit's proximity. The boy must have been alone, he assumed, as there didn't seem a soul otherwise preoccupied with his well-being. His face and hands were blackened by soot, streaks cascading down his face where tears had once accumulated, leaving his skin exposed only in those solemn strips that dried along the cut of his jaw. Everything he wore lead Whit to believe he'd emerged in solitude at the expense of some disastrous shortcoming, a lone survivor. He was naught but ten. Twelve at the oldest. Trailing in tandem, it would have been cruel to disavow his company.

Like each morning passed since flight from Brownwood, their ragged band of miscreants stirred from fitful slumber at the first signs of a stranger rising. They had, in the first two days, only lost a handful of their congregation. Whether they had strayed too far and lost account, or had they -- in one instance -- been devoured before daylight, none of them slept more than a wink, and often with one eye open, had they even slept at all. Everyone was depleted, Whit among them, and the boy was faring worse than most.

On more than one occasion, Whit was forced to turn around and drag the child back to the others while the party marched nearer the Oklahoma border, hastened footsteps met with purpose to the baking blacktop that patched the asphalt of Route 377, but it was steadily driving the pair toward the brink of oblivion. When they flanked the edge of Dallas, west of Weatherford and crossing then onto the 281, aimed at Decatur, the boy sat himself in the middle of the road and protested he'd move no further. While he kicked and screamed, crying like a wounded animal, Whit tossed him over his shoulder and carried him until the fourth night fell.

An hour into the evening, however, after they'd stop to rest, a small crowd of leering corpses intercepted their trajectory to devastating effects. In the aftermath of that chaotic scuffle, more than half of those weary souls traveling in their midst had succumbed to bites and scratches, forcing hard decisions upon the remnants unscathed. Families shared parting words, while others not granted the grace of heartfelt goodbyes wept for loss, and with their individual duties done, they piled their lifeless husks clumsily for fear of lingering a moment too late in that cursed stretch of Northern Texas. It seemed barbaric to leave them there above ground, but so few had ate since departure, both their energy and spirit were waning.

Each second had tugged Whit closer to the earth for sake of respite. He hadn't the heart to mourn a man unbeknownst their will and memoir, but a child was effortless; adrift on the wind, a fleeting sort of connection to what was and what might have been. The boy could not understand this new world any clearer than a worm the scale of time, but realizing now as their passage pushed forward that he had been separated, Whit wandered again, over a wire fence and leaned against a lonesome shack -- a flattened plain -- where the boy rested immobile in the dirt. Blood caked in the soil, a thick, expansive pool. His breath was stilled, his flesh still warm to the touch, and though it could not be spared the urgency with which the others had left their darlings to rot among reanimated cadavers, he dug with his hands a narrow grave and left him there, at last to find peaceful accord with the universe.

Meet Whit and many more survivors like him in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 2: Sean Gary - Dead End

Name: Sean Gary
Aliases: None
Origins: Columbus, Ohio

The ambulance raced down the highway from Muldraugh to Rosewood. Over half a tank of gas, but no food. The young man driving it was starving, had been for days. He needed to get something to eat and soon.

Going 100mph down the highway, he made his way to a gas station. The dead were everywhere but he had no food and no options. In he went, only to find nothing but sodas left on the shelf. The enemy was closing in fast, he had to run out of the store. He spotted a police cruiser he hadn't noticed at first. Some kind of gun would be useful and there was always a shotgun or rifle in the back of every cruiser. He popped the trunk only to find a radio. It seemed pretty high tech, he hoped to reach people who had supplies with it.

It was a lot heavier than he thought it would be and the man was bitten on his left hand trying to haul it away. He managed to get into the ambulance just in time, or so he thought. He put the radio in the passenger’s seat and zoomed off.

Going 100mph through the woods wasn’t what killed him. The lightpost did. This ambulance of his had no headlights, he had to use his ambulance’s emergency lights instead to see. The irony was painful.

He died on impact. The driver side door swung open. The bite didn’t take long to turn him. Out he fell from the cabin of the vehicle, another shambling corpse in the rainy night.

Find what remains of Sean in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 3: Rowan Hopper - Ode to Vega

Name: Rowan Hopper
Origins: Smithville, Indiana

I’ve been contemplating for a while now - exactly what a human’s life is worth. And as I sit here writing my thoughts, I wonder to myself, could we ever quantify that existence? Is there a way for us to numerically come to a consensus that there is such a thing? That there is a standard for one life to compare to? How would we then dictate which life would be any more or any less than this caliber. Would we have to? Or is it all more of the same? People coming and going, a tiny spark in a never ending explosion. Ghosts for the realm of the living.

I’m beside myself trying to understand what this all means. How am I supposed to react? Should I grieve longer or has it been long enough? Is it wrong to hold onto hope when their faces are already fading from my mind? A distant shimmer of an image as I sink further into deep and quiet waters. I didn’t hear his screams. I didn’t see his anguish. I didn’t hold him as the lights died out in the windows of his soul. Maybe he passed as silent as we came to exist in this world. I will never know, and maybe that’s for the best.

I’m sorry that our time was short and our friendship, even shorter. I promised myself when the world splintered, that I wouldn’t feel this way again. That I wouldn’t feel the pain of losing someone again. But here I am. I have yet to shed a tear but my heart has bled a waterfall. They say that “time heals all wounds,” but time is no healer. I have waited and waited and in the end, time is the reason for my torment. You never came back.

I hope you’re in a better place now, Vega. I hope you’re with the loved ones you’ve lost. I’m sorry we couldn’t come for you, and it’ll haunt me for the rest of my life. But, I hope your last breath was a sigh of relief.

Experience the hardships of the apocalypse with Rowan in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 4: Steven Lemus - Hidden Gem

56745d892340f88f008b6d36-750-500_1564363554.jpg

Name: Steven Lemus
Aliases: Captain
Origins: West Point, Kentucky

Former Army Captain Steven Lemus has been surviving with a small group of survivors some where near Rosewood. One of their main goals, besides building a safer environment to live and attract other survivors, is to find ammo. Steven took his training and a beat up car to explore the surrounding area.    

Hours of driving in silence and searching spot to spot, he pulls up on the main road to Muldraugh. Just down the road he can barely make out 3 large letters on a building: MPD. Hundreds of zombies littered the area. Steven sits back in his car, trying to plan everything out. He stares at his watch... 2220. This situation isn't getting any better, so he turns off his head lights and begins his slow, creeping advance towards the police station.    

Being able to get in the area was relatively easy, it's getting out that will be the hardest... The car is parked right outside the front door, Steven hops out, and attracts as much attention away from the building as possible before hiding in the woods and looping back around for the ammo. He makes it in with very little resistance from the zombies, Steven is able to quickly dispatch a few more inside in small pockets of the building using CQC and a small combat knife.    

"I really fucking hope there is something in here," he says as he approaches the back locker room area.    He digs through the lockers of mostly used riot gear, some SWAT gear, a few radios that weren't charged, and just before he leaves he sees something odd about one of the lockers; it's door doesn't close right. He checks the last locker and his eyes open wide with excitement. He cant believe his eyes, this must be a hallucination. He picks up an ASG AW .308 magazine fed bolt action rifle, next to it was an ammo can of 9mm bullets.    

Grabbing everything useful he makes it back to his vehicle struggling to juggle everything in his hands. He drops a radio while putting the rifle in the trunk and literally every zombie and their mom turns around.    

"Shit..." he said as he grabbed the remainder of the gear and just throws them in the front. He goes to start the car and it stalls... causing more attention to be directed his way. 

"Come on you piece of shit," he says as he slaps the dashboard. The car starts and he hauls ass out of there barely making it by the skin of his teeth.    

Capt. Steven Lemus, former ARMY SERE pulled off one of his most impressive solo missions to date. Highly out numbered in an unfavorable environment he made it back to camp while fighting against the odds.

Join up with Captain Steven Lemus and his group in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 5: Joel Routledge - New Spark

maxresdefault.jpg

Name: Joel Routledge
Aliases: None
Origins: Seattle, Washington

On a long, empty road in rural Kentucky...

I really hate this stretch of road. It's not as crowded as the others, to be fair, but that gives ya too much time to think. Too much time to reminisce. Too much time to go back down that rabbit hole that is the past and get lost in Carroll's wonderland. Should I have been a better teacher? Yeah, probably. Should I have told Jesse to quit selling drugs? Definitely. Should I have done something about my life before all this shit happened? Obviously. But I can't go back now. I can't solve those problems that seemed so much... bigger, back then. Now I actually have to worry about survival. I fuckin hate this stretch of road.

*FZZT* ... *SZZT* ... *BZZT* "Hello? Anyone out there?" I ask almost every day, and for weeks it was just the static answering back. I thought that if I could find some people I could do better this time. Be a better person. Fix all those mistakes I let just pile up beforehand. But now... now I hesitate. I'm working with some good people, that's true, but the world had a lot of bad people in it too, and I'm sure they can't all be shambling around mindlessly now. I think we all feel that hesitation, at least a bit, to go and reach out to new folks. Someone out there's gonna shoot first, and someone's gonna get hurt. I just don't want it to be me. And I'm sure everyone else feels that way, too. Which is why they'll shoot first... it's circular as Hell, isn't it?

For now, I gotta keep working on the project. Put that degree to work and annotate the shit out of those books I found. Renewable energy on a small scale. That'd be something to see. Something quieter than a generator...

...as the sun rises behind the falling snow.  

Help finish what Joel started and bring some light back into the world in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 6: Max Stone - New Spark

Max+Stone_1565406485.jpg

Name: Max Stone
Aliases: Sheriff, Officer Stone
Origins: Rosewood, Kentucky

Rosewood was a quaint town located just off of the highway leading towards the towns of Muldraugh and March Ridge. The small town was focused on mostly tourism and small scale shopping centers in the downtown district of the city. With housing located on the east side, and the ever so widely known Rosewood Penitentiary, drawing tourists and sightseers for miles. The small town also housed a police station and just across the street, a fire station. For little over thirty years Stone wore the badge, ten of those years as the precincts Chief, traveling to the state capitol of Frankfort to lobby for more state funding alongside other precincts.

When Max reached the age of 56, he retired from the precinct after developing some hearing issues. Having gone into retirement, Stone comfortably lived for a year in his home watching television and enjoying the onset of his golden years. It wasn't until the reports of violence across the state a few days after his birthday that he was alerted of the relief center being set up at his former place of employment. Max grabbed his service pistol and his old uniform and made his way to the station in an attempt to lend a helping hand.

However, when Stone reached the station, it was hell. Whatever was causing the wave of hysteria and panic in those afflicted with the illness, it had reached the station. Having seen one of the former dispatchers stumbling towards him with her intestines dangling by mangled and chewed lines, Stone would realize that was no simple cold. Grabbing a set of car keys out of a mangled dismembered hand, Stone hijacked a D20 truck and drove out of the city, watching as former citizens and first responders turn on one another. With the faint noises of automatic fire in the distance towards Muldraugh, Max rode out of Rosewood and into the countryside. He went to hunker down, wishing that some day soon some sort of government intervention came.

But as we all know, that day... never came.

Try to rebuild civilized society with Sheriff Stone in The Deadlands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Character Spotlight 7: Matthew Miller - Brewing Storm

61l1hjMY2ML._SL1000_.jpg

Name: Matthew Miller
Aliases: Unknown
Origins: Outskirts of Show Low, Arizona

Inhale. Exhale.

Blam!

The rifle barked as its round spit forward and down the range striking its target.

Plink!

The sound of metal on metal echoed from down the range.

A small smile crept across his face as he looked down the scope at his handy work. Each target had a hole dead center from the 100m all the way to the 700m range. Matthew turned looking at his uncle who nodded approvingly.

“You’ve come a long way kiddo. Good shooting.” He’d complement as he rested a hand on his nephew’s shoulder. “Ready to call it a day and go inside?”

Matthew gave him a nod before flicking the rifle to safe, placing it in his gun bag before packing up the rest of his things.

~~~

Returning from his room Matthew looked around his brothers small house. A few photos of the two together along with their uncle. One was of the fishing trip they went on a few years back. Neither him or his brother caught much but their uncle, ever the avid fisherman caught a large catfish. Biggest one they had ever seen. Around 42in and weighing in around 46lbs. He’d chuckle to himself as he thought about the trip, making his way to the living room only to find his uncle glued to the news channel. Now normally it’s never on because the news had gone to shit ever since Trump got elected. Constantly going on about Russia collusion or whatever. It really got old day in and day out hearing about this and that on the president. But that wasn’t what was on the news today. Today there was a frantic CNN reporter trying to inform people what was going on in major cities as an outbreak of a disease was taking thousands of people. Footage showed fires in coastal cities and suburbs.

A hushed silence fell over the room as the news sunk in between the two of them…

~~~

Over the next week they’d been watching smoke and an ever growing glow on the horizon creep closer day by day. They thought they had just a bit more time but little did they know that nature had other plans. The winds were picking up something fierce not to far away from them to the South.

Matt woke up to the sound of their home groaning and shaking as sounds of crackling was able to be heard just outside. Unaware of what was going on he groggily woke up, taking in more of his surroundings. That’s when he noticed things weren’t right. Everything was still dark outside yet there was a bright glow dancing outside the window.

“Oh shit.”

Was all he said as he started scrambling to get dressed, all the while shouting for his uncle. Yet he never received a response from the older gentleman. Tossing his boots loosely over his socks he stumbled out from his room realizing that the house was actually filling with smoke. Darting back he stole up a bag quickly strapping a gas mask over his head. Muffled he’d call out once again looking for his uncle finding him unmoving in the kitchen along with a few broken glass jars shattered on the floor next to him.

“No… No… No..”

He’d mutter as he quickly rushed up to check his uncle. Not noticing the fire that had been creeping to the property's propane tank. As Matt was about to take his uncles pulse there was a blinding flash along with something pelting him in the chest, knocking him away and across the kitchen.

Dazed Matt quickly felt a searing pain in his face forcing him to frantically force the mask he wore off as rubber was melting into part of his skin. His mind was torn from the chaos around him, the pain he was feeling, but lastly the worry for his uncle. Coughing he’d rush back to where his uncle was finding that some of his close were on fire forcing Matt to pat out what he could before dragging the older man out the door.

Outside was complete chaos, wind and sand blasting the gentlemen as he rushed his uncle to the Jeep out front. The back had been left open oddly enough, but that wasn’t important right now. Matt started to do his best to once over his uncle this time forcing his right eye shut from the pain he felt from his mangled face. Problem was there was no pulse. No pulse…

Matthew’s heart sank as he tried to do what he could to save his uncle. He remained next to the Jeep doing chest compressions for almost half an hour all while being blasted in his cuts and burns by an onslaught of sand. Though he soon came to realization that there wasn’t anything that could be done. Doing what he could, he'd pull his uncle unto the back seat while rushing to the trunk. Matthew was nothing short of stunned by what he saw. 4 duffel bags full of who knows what from their house, along with their first aid kit on top of it all. Reaching for it he’d slam it closed ducking into the front seat pulling the door closed as he fought the wind in an effort to close it.

He wasn’t happy with his bandage work but it would have to do. As of right now the man looked like a mummy only with some holes for his mouth and eyes. Blinking his eyes hard from the blur that threatened to pour out from his eyes he’d set out to start driving. Braving the monsoon storm raging outside.

Escape creeping flames and midnight storms with Matthew Miller in The Deadlands.

• 2 weeks later...

Character Spotlight 8: Jack Booker - Hard Road

Name: Jack Booker
Origins: Troutdale, VA

When he saw Max's vehicle for the first time he didn't have time to think as thousands of zombies were shambling straight towards them both. Max said get in, so he did so. They swerved through the zombies all the way down the highway to the south, smashing many in their wake. When they finally emerged on the other side of the highway alive Jack had a smoke and thanked Max for saving him, complimenting him on his excellent driving.

Jack and Max arrived at this so called Sanctuary community that Max had advertised and it was impressive and well populated. This scared Jack as much as it impressed him, however. Jack was given a poorly built shed to call his temporary home and he gladly took it. Inside he found a sleeping bag on the floor, and a few crates for his things. "Maybe this won't be so bad," he thought as he tried to go to sleep that night. He made many runs out into the remote farm houses west of Muldraugh and that wasn't really something he loved doing. His struggle with his new occupation in the world wouldn't last long however as more pressing things made themselves apparent soon after.

One night Max and his fellow community mate Matthew had decided they were going on a run for more weapons for the group and Jack felt like he should help so he went along. There was an outsider there at the time named Ken who was willing to help as well. The four loaded up into Matthews beaten up humvee and sped off to the nearest police station as they made a plan to draw the zombies away. The gun heist went as planned and they got a few well needed pieces of armor as well but it wasn't enough for the four. They decided to get greedy and go to the shooting range to see if it had anything left.

Their arrival at the range was met with darkness and a sea of the dead, neither of which seemed like they ever ended. They ran around trying to find a way to get into this place and decided there was absolutely no way in hell. Matthew attempted to maneuver his humvee around the dead nimbly and yelled out the window to stay away from his truck as he had no idea where his friends had went. That's when one of the lumps he ran over made a sickening sound, the sound of Ken being ran over by the vehicle. Matthew knew he couldn't get out so he simply drove forward where he knew none of his friends were. The three without the vehicle ran back the way they came in as Jack attempted to help Ken run out of there. The dead were just a little quicker than poor Ken however as they latched onto his feet and dragged him out of Jack's hands. He was quickly overwhelmed and devoured. Jack felt the panic in his chest as he ran as hard as he could towards the parked humvee up the road. The three drove away without saying a word.

Max later revealed on the drive home that he was bitten on the hand during all of the shuffle and that he didn't think he could make it home. The guys decided that they would try to amputate the hand to save Max. As Jack made a fire and large blade within it, Matthew got out his axe and gave it a finer edge. The two got ready and as soon as Matthew swung downwards, Jack was right there to cauterize the wound. Matthew's axe swing was mighty and the cut was clean, so the three had hope for his recovery. They got him home and made sure he got some painkillers into him and he soon passed out.

Matthew and Jack however couldn't sleep and Matthew showed Jack around the place some more. He gave him his own handgun, ammo, and a few pieces of spare armor he had in his home. Jack wouldn't admit that he had thought about leaving this place, as it was far too dangerous. The two talked through the night until three or four am and they went home. Jack was still unsure if he should stay or not and that's all he thought about as he fell asleep that night.

Days went by and nothing else happened until one night after Jack had fallen asleep easily for once but he awoke in the middle of the night to a man dressed in full police SWAT gear at his window, shining a flashlight inside. He said he was from a community far off somewhere and they were out of food. Jack grabbed his axe from the floor and asked the man how he had got into the camp. The two talked for a while by a campfire after he explained he simply walked in because no one answered when he knocked. Jack gave him some food and the two seemed to get along, until they didn't. Max walked out of the house and the man now identified as "Wells" pointed his gun at Jack. Wells took Jack hostage and the two walked outside with a red wagon full of Jack's supplies. He walked to a nearby gas station at gunpoint and was told to load as much into the trunk as it would hold. Jack tried to divert his attention in subtle ways as he needed some of the things in that wagon to live.

Just then Max's voice came out of the dark and said he had a line of sight on Wells and that he better let Jack go or he would pay the consequences. Wells knew when he was outmatched and quickly pushed jack and the red wagon he was holding to the ground and rushed into his truck. He sped off and Jack quickly ran as fast he could in any direction that was secluded. He stayed inside a nearby home for probably an hour having a panic attack when he felt okay enough to return home. The next day Jack left Sanctuary when no one was around. He drove his new taxi down the road to the north and found a quiet house by the river to stay at.

Just as he got settled in he heard on his walkie-talkie that a few people were stuck in town like he was, and he decided he was going to be the one that helped them this time. He loaded up his taxi and drove to them as fast as possible. The three drove back to his new house and seemed to get along. They divided up the rooms in the house and lived peacefully for many days. They decided one night as they drank a little bit that they would call the place River Harbor, and so it was. They then decided that they would be a council instead of choosing a leader, as one person leading any group was sure to fall into ruin. They looked upon the future with optimism for the first time in almost a year. River Harbor was home now.

Discover River Harbor and help Jack keep his peace in The Deadlands.

Character Spotlight 9: Xavier McCain - Burning Wave

Name: Xavier McCain
Origins: Louisville, KY

During the months and months of walking and killing of the things he called 'Burners', Xavier was, in his head, doing the daily grind of an office worker who hated their life. And this was Xavier's mindset as he entered the town of Muldraugh.

He walked around the place not really sure what he was looking for. Xavier decided on the police station, where he could find a gun and ammo, as well as the grocery store, so he could find something that wasn't a can of bologna and water. It was a shame though, since all these sights were crawling with 'Burners'. Xavier decided to stop in one of the neighborhoods and stay a day or two to get his bearings. Unfortunately, many of the houses looked completely unsecured, broken windows and doors everywhere with the exception of one house that was completely barricaded, except for an open front door.

After he cleared it he found two bodies in the house, both seemed to have died from a squabble, which was sad. After getting rid of the bodies and securing the open door, he laid down in the bed, closed his eyes, and drifted into a slumber. The next day, he decided to stay in the house and the town and try to hunker down for a while. Over some time, though, he started making makeshift barricades around the outside of the house and he looting the surrounding neighborhood. He was able to find guns and ammunition and even a vehicle with gasoline. This sparked an idea in Xavier, an idea he would come to regret, one that would cost him everything.

After finding a gassed truck with sirens, he drove it to the southern part of town and turned the siren on. This attracted a lot of 'Burners' and Xavier ran away as quickly as he could. It took him a while but he made it back to his house and he re-secured it. The next day he grabbed a car and went down to the police station and saw it was clear, He was so excited that he didn't realize that the car alarm was still going off.

Once he was done with the station, getting a shot gun as well as ammo, he saw some zombies walking towards the alarm that he now finally heard. Traveling a little down the highway he saw the massive horde surrounding the car and without a single thought he drove away. After he left he went back home and immediately started to strengthen the barricades. After two days, he stopped working and was satisfied with his work. The next day, all his choices would be for nothing as he woke up and didn't hear any alarms. The only problem was he now heard banging, lots of it. He pressed his ear to the barricade and after some groans an arm went through the barricade.

The wall began to move and give way as the dead pushed their way through. Xavier pulled out the pistol he kept on him and began shooting into the group. His aim was crap. He shot seven times and only got two of them. He immediately ran back inside, shut the door, ran to his stash of guns, and grabbed his shotgun and ammo.

When the front door broke down, he began firing into the crowd and started killing a lot of them but was soon overwhelmed and he ran into his armory room. He loaded his shotgun and aimed it at the door. He was panicking and terrified. He wasn't ready to die, and he believed he wasn't going to. Not until the barricades on his window busted open and the dead poured inside. He tried to fire but was soon overwhelmed. Before he could think, the first 'Burner' sunk its teeth into his arm and then another bit his shoulder. And soon he was being used as a chew toy for more and more 'Burners'.

All the memories of his childhood, his family, and the months he survived in this hell... it all flashed before his eyes before being stained red, then black as he passed away from the shock and blood loss.

In that moment, Xavier was lost as his eyes opened to show the milky whites of a reanimated 'Burner'. Everything about him that made Xavier, Xavier, was now gone.

Escape the waves of burners left behind by Xavier in The Deadlands.

• 2 weeks later...

Character Spotlight 10: Margret Taylor - Things Change

130222laurie-holden1.jpg

Name: Margret Taylor
Aliases: Marnie
Origins: Muldraugh, KY

Things really change so quickly these days, in just 10 minutes my entire life changed.

"They're coming from the east woods," Marnie shouts grabbing the axe with a rifle slung over her shoulder.

Marnie plunges her axe into the zombie's head pulling it out of its skull and booting it over before
swinging her axe at another zombie's jaw.

"Marnie look out!" Marian shouts pointing at a zombie behind Marnie.

Marnie spins round and grabs the zombie's face, pushing its head back and jamming a knife into its skull.

A few minutes later, 15 zombies lie dead on the ground and the three women stand over them. Marnie walks over to one of the zombies and stomps repeatedly on its head until it looks like a smashed pumpkin.

"Marnie chill out," Marian says, grabbing her shoulder. Marnie shoves her off Marian looks down at her hand, noticing blood.

"Marnie you're bleeding..." she says wiping the blood off on her shirt.

"Here I've got a bandage. Did one scratch you?" Sarah asks while walking towards Marnie with the bandage.

"Fuck, stay back..." Marnie says.

The other women look at each other confused before realising what had happened as Marnie sighs holding up her hand.

"It had to happen eventually right?" she smiles wiping some blood from the small bite on her hand.

Returning to the house and sitting at the table, Marian paces and Sara sits with her hands on her head.

"Well what the fuck do we do now?" Sarah says sighing.

"You've gotta kill me, I don't want to turn..." Marnie glances at Sara.

"We've gotta cut it off, Sarah you can help right?" Mairan looks between the two.

"Do we even know that'll work?" Marnie asks.

"You'll either get better or die. But what is the alternative?" Mairan rubs her eyes and walks towards the med bay.

"Then we'd better start," Marnie says pulling off her belt and tightening it around her wrist.

Rushing into action, Marnie takes the axe and washes it with disinfectant. Mairan grabs some painkillers and bandages and places them on the table and Marnie quickly downs some whiskey and the painkillers.

Mairan grabs the cleaned axe and Sarah holds Marnie's arm down on he table. Mairan raises the axe high.

A few hours later, Marnie sits up in the med bay bed scratching her head then looking down at her arm in horror at her bandaged stub.

"You're awake," Sarah says with a strained smile. "You were out quite along time we were worried."

Marnie sits up and moves her arm around with a heavy sigh.

"Guess things will be different from now on..."

Help Marnie cope with her new life in The Deadlands.