More Math(s)

nasKo

fogz-712x462.jpg

A very happy 4th of July to our survivors in the US!

The grand plan was to have a slick new vid for you today showing, amongst other things, the fixed-up anim-masking issue with the hovering props that we discussed last week.

Good news: it’s been fixed up as Zac has been back at the math(s)…

IMG_20190703_202811-768x576.jpg

Bad news: it sadly came in too late for us to have time to do a bells/whistles video of all latest progress for today’s blog and a new Spiffo’s Round Up over on Steam.

(BUT OH WAIT – TURNS OUT A LAST MINUTE SURPRISE VIDEO WAS POSSIBLE! ENJOY! -ed)

So, here’s a still image to show it’s working at least! And sorry it’s going to be a boring blog today!

image-19.png

Elsewhere it’s been a really productive week on the internal Build 41 anims beta, but almost all of it in the form of fixes, balance and general improvement. The changelist is lengthy, but the content of it rather dull for anyone outside the coding team.

Something cool that’s been added is craftable spears and spear attacks, but elsewhere it’s been loads of more minor tasks covering the new cutaway system, pathfinding, footstep sounds, noisy dead zeds, indoor puddles, fixing the issues with radios that are currently in the public build, clipping, tree-chopping, bread knives, strafing, sprinting, turning circles, bite react anims, colour adjustments etc etc.

This is the way it’ll be for a few weeks now while we wait for Zac to drop in the rotational blends and MP work that we need before we IWBUMS – and (aside from the next one) you’ll see less and less ‘new stuff’ being shown in vids, and more and more general internal tester gameplay.

So apologies for the dulldoid – but there should be a tasty new vid fairly imminently to make up for it, now that Zac’s math(s) have come in once more to save the day.

Our thanks to everyone who left a review for us this past week, but most especially this survivor who goes into painstaking detail over how he very nearly shit himself (actually physically shit himself) while playing. Cheers all!

This week’s foggy meeting from [PAX]McMiller. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too!

Well this must have been the first exceedingly spectacular Thursdoid I've seen in a while, in that I'm really feeling hyped for this update now more than ever. The culmination of months of work on animations certainly seems to have paid off.

A few things I found noteworthy:

• I'm finding the behind the scenes math that goes into this very fascinating in of itself, I usually come to think of game development from a player's point of view to just be a bunch of neckbeards sitting at a desk on a caffeine rush at 2 AM writing lines of code, and maybe it is that to some extent, but going back to the 'Advanced Zedonometry,' seeing the amount of thought that goes into making stuff like this really puts things into perspective.
  • That new rifle looks and sounds great.

All in all the game is that much fuller and more complete with this underway. Looking forward to IWBUMS!

Edited by Fritz

Will there be a silencer for the rifle?
Is the machete also able to onehit or kill while the zombie is still up, like the axe?

The video looks great :) Can't wait for IWBUMS :D

Edited by Ornament
typo

Do you consider "hardcore" Reloading Options with your animations? I see the Character changeing the magazines and racking the slide in one animation. But with hardcore reloading Options there would have to be three seperate animations: Ejecting Magazine, Loading Magazine, and charging weapon.

Also I dont see a racking- animation for the pump shotgun. (Also the sounds for the M16 dont sound so good, but I belive they are WIP?)

Everything else looks quite good.

Currently the reload anims are just one anim, just as a placeholder until one of the coders rejigs the code to work with hardcore reloading. 

It shouldn't big job but was down the priority list but it's rapidly rising up the list as we strike off the more important jobs.

Also everything should be considered WIP unless we specifically say otherwise or you're playing it in game.

16 hours ago, martingee said:

Currently the reload anims are just one anim, just as a placeholder until one of the coders rejigs the code to work with hardcore reloading. 

It shouldn't big job but was down the priority list but it's rapidly rising up the list as we strike off the more important jobs.

Also everything should be considered WIP unless we specifically say otherwise or you're playing it in game.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am sure the done version will look good. Take the time you need.