New game screen Simplified

ZonaryQuasar

I am aware that what I will suggest below is extremely unimportant and unnecessary and I'm totally OK if nobody agrees with me, but I'm gonna post anyway! :P

Whenever I start a new game, I always play with the Normal settings the first time. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that would be the setting the developers used throughout the development, so is how the developers wanted the game to be played, so to speak.

When the user starts a New game in Project Zomboid (v40.43), this is what he sees:

20190624183419_1.thumb.jpg.8793a87d67292ac5609716e90b0ae1dd.jpg

Obviously in PZ's case, the normal setting would be Survival, thanks to the "The Recommended Zomboid Experience" part.

I worked as an UI/UX developer before, and for me, there's nothing wrong with this screen. It is all very detailed and well explained, in simple phrases.

But I will suggest this not based on my personal preference, but thinking at the larger audience that is all the past and future Zomboid players.

The three classics difficulties could fit like a glove in here (again, I don't know if would be the desired since the game targets a specific audience that probably doesn't care about this):

Easy > One Week Later + Easy starting conditions

Normal > Survival + Normal starting conditions

Hard > Six Months Later + Hardcore starting conditions

Instead of having the Tutorial as a different type of new game, it could be just a checkbox "Skip tutorial", not checked by default.

The idea to have the tutorial as a toggle is definitely a good one. Too often I leave it selected by mistake when trying to go into Survival. Then there's the occasional critique that Survival looks more like a heading in its current position than a button, others have brought up.

2 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Good thoughts here - thank you.

48 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The idea to have the tutorial as a toggle is definitely a good one. Too often I leave it selected by mistake when trying to go into Survival. Then there's the occasional critique that Survival looks more like a heading in its current position than a button, others have brought up.

No need to thank me, it is I who have to thank you for this amazing game that I play everyday!

And I'm glad to be of help! :D