Solar panels in vanilla,without hydrocraft

dexa32

You start game in 1994 “The photovoltaic effect was first recognized in 1839 by French physicist A. E. Becquerel. However, it was not until 1883 that the first solar cell was built, by Charles Fritts, who coated the semiconductor selenium with an extremely thin layer of gold to form the junctions. The device was only around 1% efficient.

In 1834, scientists got an idea to merge two solar cells and get solar panels.

So solar panels exist for much longer than 1991

Probably,i mean people must have had enough money to afford solar panels in 1994.What am i trying to say is that people aren't poor in 1994,did you see that expensive TV when you were looting one of the houses and almost every hous has a car,and cars are much more expensive then solar panels.I have seen cars even in rural places.Tell me what are you going to do when you run out of gas for generators,ask electicity to come by on coffee so you can have electricity?

19 minutes ago, dexa32 said:

Probably,i mean people must have had enough money to afford solar panels in 1994.What am i trying to say is that people aren't poor in 1994,did you see that expensive TV when you were looting one of the houses and almost every hous has a car,and cars are much more expensive then solar panels.I have seen cars even in rural places.Tell me what are you going to do when you run out of gas for generators,ask electicity to come by on coffee so you can have electricity?

Yeah, that's all these conversations ever amount to: an unwillingness to accept that the modern conveniences of life will run out in a post-apocalyptic scenario. But at least it's optimistic to assume that you will survive long enough for it to matter.

Solar had barely gotten onto its feet by the late 90s. It'd be exceedingly rare in 1994.

An unwillingness to accept that the modern conveniences of life will run out in a post-apocalyptic scenario,what?

You wold give up fast,looks like.Well im not going to accept that i killed 13013 zombies and my hope is not going down because post-apocalyptic scenario.

As Enigma mentioned they were not common. As I mentioned they were around at the time but not many people had the money to be able to pay for something that did not have a high rate of return.

People who did own them where fringe eco people and schools. People who would sink money on an idea and not for it's value. In Kentucky you would see more wind mills generating electricity than you would have seen a solar panel.

1 hour ago, dexa32 said:

An unwillingness to accept that the modern conveniences of life will run out in a post-apocalyptic scenario,what?

You wold give up fast,looks like.Well im not going to accept that i killed 13013 zombies and my hope is not going down because post-apocalyptic scenario.

What can I say, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to play 3-400 real-life hours on a single save and thus don't think the game needs to be built around some  hypothetical scenario where gasoline ceases to exist, but solar panels continue.

And this ignores that gas is infinite in the current game. You literally can't run out of gas right now.

2 minutes ago, nickodemos said:

As Enigma mentioned they were not common. As I mentioned they were around at the time but not many people had the money to be able to pay for something that did not have a high rate of return.

People who did own them where fringe eco people and schools. People who would sink money on an idea and not for it's value. In Kentucky you would see more wind mills generating electricity than you would have seen a solar panel.

Yeah, windmills would make more sense.  Just from a quick Google, I don't see any real widespread usage of solar panels back in the early 90s, outside of a few government buildings and niche uses. Didn't really seem to be much in the way of residential solar, particularly not when their efficiencies were so low and costs were so high.  But hard to find info on it.

Image result for farm pump windmill

5 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yeah, windmills would make more sense.  Just from a quick Google, I don't see any real widespread usage of solar panels back in the early 90s, outside of a few government buildings and niche uses. Didn't really seem to be much in the way of residential solar, particularly not when their efficiencies were so low and costs were so high.  But hard to find info on it.

Image result for farm pump windmill

You would not have seen windmills generating electricity, they were more for things like pumping water. One thing you have to remember batteries sucked for storage. Batteries now days are getting better but they still suck as a medium to store electricity long term. I brought up windmills as a more likely thing you would see before you would see a solar panel.

Electricity is not a real need item when the world ends. If you did need it your more likely to have a generator. I personally would be terrified to run a generator in a zombie apocalypse. A generator would echo so bad in Kentucky it would draw hoards. Generators I used in the 80's and 90's were not like the quiet ones we have now days.

That is all alright,but i was thinking of new way to get renewable electricity,i didn't say every person in Kentucky would have solar panels.And windmills would be a great idea too,it's another way to get renewable electrisity.Electricity is not a real need item when the world ends,that is true but it can help you so much to survive,like keeping food fresh for longer or for streetlights.

• 4 months later...

As this is a mod idea... why does it matter that the game is set in the 90s? Aren't there also gun mods that add non-90s stuff? Why is it nobody complains about them? (That's a rhetorical question, I know why.)

Theme consistency shouldn't be enforced hard when it comes to mods... after all, nobody is forced to download and use them.

Edited by Lexx2k