Regarding the latest Thursdoid, to TIS

CaptainDingo

Hello. So, in the latest Thursdoid, you guys mentioned a possible desire to invest in someone to remake the item icons at some point so they fit better in the world when they're on the ground.

So, when I read this, I perked up a bit and laughed, because I was already creating a mod that did this some weeks back. My goal was creating separate inventory/world icons for almost every single item in the game, so that when placed on the ground, all items were properly oriented to look like they were actually sitting on the ground (see attached image for my early progress) and appeared to more or less be the proper scale (so a big cooking pot isn't the same size as a water bottle for example), rendered in 3D, some even with alpha rendered shadows underneath if they had overhangs to blend in more with the world (can be seen on the sample chip bags).

However, with better motivation, I'd be happy to help do this in an official capacity/higher quality if TIS is interested, because the mod may never see the light of day anyways (it's a huge volume of work to do for free). Also, the work I had already done was a bit rushed or used some licensed art from Doritos bags and so forth (but my custom Spiffo cereal box was cool!), but I'd be happy to put more care into official recreations of item icons. Up to TIS, get in touch via PM if interested. Would love to help improve the game, have years of 3D modeling under my belt.

newitemicons.png

Was my thought:

Just get the community to do these items. They have to be low poly models for which you don't need much skill, and multiple people working on it will speed things up drastically. Then it just needs someone to take care of the general quality, tweaking some things here and there and it'll be done soon enough.

Archived