Remove cost for sheetropes or add more kinds of ropes

8 posts in this topic

I don't think you need to use a hammer and nail to knot a decent and sturdy rope up. There's plenty of decent knots people use for tree swings for example, or rappelling with trees. I don't think it should cost a nail each time, and I think by removing this cost it opens the door to a play-style similar to the character Bonnie from the Walking Dead when things like some bare-bones wall climbing are probably out of the question.(This person moving across town taking advantage of these little openings and monitoring horde migrations to plan runs, maybe even using traps to draw them away to different places.)

The knot doesn't matter. Having an anchor point does. PZ doesn't have any system in place that lets you somehow attach them to furniture. 

On 6/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

The knot doesn't matter. Having an anchor point does. PZ doesn't have any system in place that lets you somehow attach them to furniture. 

The last time I played Project Zomboid it cost a nail and a hammer to place a sheet rope. (This might have been when the car update first rolled out) If I'm not mistaken it is still this way? What I am asking for is the cost of a nail and hammer requirement be removed, since you could tie a pretty secure knot on your own. I don't need them to be attached to furniture, attaching them to fences and stuff is fine. I just think you shouldn't need to expend a nail on it each time you add the rope.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, MrBlue said:

The last time I played Project Zomboid it cost a nail and a hammer to place a sheet rope. (This might have been when the car update first rolled out) If I'm not mistaken it is still this way? What I am asking for is the cost of a nail and hammer requirement be removed, since you could tie a pretty secure knot on your own. I don't need them to be attached to furniture, attaching them to fences and stuff is fine. I just think you shouldn't need to expend a nail on it each time you add the rope.

That is true however you would need to know how to tie this knot not to fall down. Maybe a skillbook? Giving opportunity to tie sheets without hammer and nail at some point. Whole idea about requirements are to make more difficult first few days - especially on hardcore. But having this as optional for later game could be quite interesting - and free up some space in backpack

2 minutes ago, pzfreak said:

That is true however you would need to know how to tie this knot not to fall down. Maybe a skillbook? Giving opportunity to tie sheets without hammer and nail at some point. Whole idea about requirements are to make more difficult first few days - especially on hardcore. But having this as optional for later game could be quite interesting - and free up some space in backpack

Adding some difficulty is fair enough, but it just seems odd that you'd know how to make a stable rope with a hammer and nail in the first place. I mean what, you just punch it through the rope and you're good to go? If anything I think securing the knot would be a whole lot easier. The margin for error where the rope would just tear from the nail seems a lot more likely imo. I don't think skillbooks are the route. Last I checked animations have a chance for things to go wrong depending on a certain skill? (Going off of the first animations video I ever watched) so maybe rather than making ropes difficult to make, give them the inherent flaw of having a chance to fall off them if your skill, maybe being nimble, isn't high enough.

36 minutes ago, MrBlue said:

Adding some difficulty is fair enough, but it just seems odd that you'd know how to make a stable rope with a hammer and nail in the first place. I mean what, you just punch it through the rope and you're good to go? If anything I think securing the knot would be a whole lot easier. The margin for error where the rope would just tear from the nail seems a lot more likely imo. I don't think skillbooks are the route. Last I checked animations have a chance for things to go wrong depending on a certain skill? (Going off of the first animations video I ever watched) so maybe rather than making ropes difficult to make, give them the inherent flaw of having a chance to fall off them if your skill, maybe being nimble, isn't high enough.

That would be hardcore - giving chance to fall of the rope. I like it. Yeah it would be impossible to secure rope by 1 nail in real life. I think that idea was to be "difficult but doable". There is not enpugh items in game it make it "real", and it would need to be balanced. Hmm a lot things to consider but pverall i agree - it sounds like interesting idea 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, MrBlue said:

It makes sense not to require a nail for items that you could conceivably tie a sheet rope, but your OP was about removing the const entirely, no? There's nowhere to tie a rope or something for windows, short of knocking out part of the wall to loop the rope around or using hooks (like many escape ladders do). The only option then would be to tie it to adjacent furniture and hope it doesn't go through the window with you. The nail could just be thought of as a kind of an unrealistic way to abstract that.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It makes sense not to require a nail for items that you could conceivably tie a sheet rope, but your OP was about removing the const entirely, no? There's nowhere to tie a rope or something for windows, short of knocking out part of the wall to loop the rope around or using hooks (like many escape ladders do). The only option then would be to tie it to adjacent furniture and hope it doesn't go through the window with you. The nail could just be thought of as a kind of an unrealistic way to abstract that.

Yes, by the cost I meant the cost of using a nail and hammer to place it down. Maybe bad phrasing on my part. 

I don't think supplanting one unrealistic solution with another solves the problem. Windows often IRL have radiators beneath them for example, and as for attaching it to furniture and hoping it won't go out the window with you, bed frames are VERY viable for this purpose. So that's an alternative way of abstracting it.  At the end of the day yes, this is a game and realism isn't the ultimate goal, but to that end I think my suggestion still stands.