Sunbeds and SunZeds

nasKo

pool-712x462.jpg

Hey all, it’s been another week of fixes on the Build 41 internal build mainframe. As examples of what we’ve been nixing it’s like death screens not triggering, zombies snapping down on death, balancing speeds, removing ‘pet zeds’ that would follow you and never die, stopping crashes and stopping carrying a spear two-handed making your character look like they’d shit themselves.

Here’s a few more interesting nuggets of dev, though, beyond the more everyday corrective tasks.

CHALLENGES

We received the latest versions of the Film Studio and paradise island Kingsmouth map from Xeonyx, which have been fully zoned for zeds in appropriate costumes. After some quick work from Martin swimwear was also provided, so we can now have summer scenes such as this within Zomboid. Huzzah for Bikini Zeds – and indeed hunky Swimshort Zeds.

(Please note that in these screens Yuri’s new water shader has not been fitted yet.)

gym.jpg
beach-1.jpg
cabana-2.jpg

NU-GAMEPLAY

In amongst other stuff this week we’ve added in:

• Improved walking/running through tree anims.
  • Balanced the consequence of heavy load/exhausted moodles on walk/run speeds and animations.
  • Added in glass shard injuries on feet if you choose to walk on the new broken glass barefoot. Allowing for some fun John McClane scenarios at some point in the future, we’re sure.
  • Added Hunter and Fisherman outfits, dumbbell and barbell weapons, a Hunting Vest item and removed the floppy wedding hat from roaming zombies (thought to be a sombrero on PZ Discord) after more internal debate than is strictly health. A floppy wedding hat would not stay on a zombie after a period of several weeks, no matter how much the Frenchman pleads.
  • Improved defending against zed bites if you’re attacking them back, and taking into account your weapon skill, surrounding zombies, fitness & strength.

STEALTH NEXT

In the coming week we plan to be improving on the already implemented basic elements of the stealth system. While the significant full cover system we have plans and anims for will be implemented post 41 (so as not to delay the build too much) the crouched walk / run has been added and seen in previous videos.

This will lower your profile as well as reduce your footstep volume, so will lower your chance of being spotted by a zombie. It’ll also have other features, such as if you crouch walk or run alongside a fence, you will get further bonuses to visual stealth to reduce the chance of a zombie spotting you from beyond it.

This will obviously become a lot more interesting mechanically in future builds, but we hope this will make stealthy play more interesting, allowing players to plan routes along fences to help them stay hidden from the zombies about town.

LOUISVILLE SNEAK-PEEK

Seeing as there’s no vid this week, we’ve instead prised a new image from the Louisville map expansion from the iron cage of the Art Department. Please note though, as ever, that our version of Louisville is a HUGE undertaking and won’t be released in any of the forthcoming releases. It is still a long ways off.

image-13-1024x635.png

This week’s featured image from the floppy wedding hat obsessive Frenchman. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too

Nice beach themed zombies. 

interesting new weapons to kill some zombies imagine using them to lose some weight lol.

Stealth system is something I would like to sees since. :)

I do like that Art gallery for Louisville some day I hope to loot to decorate my base with some art.

1 hour ago, Nebula said:

New water is good, but when will you teach your character swim?

That's what I thought when I saw this picture, I wonder what devs think about this subject.

Good news for stealth, right now stealth doesn't really exist, it's just walk slowly and praise to not be spotted, not much more. I hope you gonna code it very well so it works behind bushes, furnitures, cars etc

6 minutes ago, Axezombie said:

That's what I thought when I saw this picture, I wonder what devs think about this subject.

Good news for stealth, right now stealth doesn't really exist, it's just walk slowly and praise to not be spotted, not much more. I hope you gonna code it very well so it works behind bushes, furnitures, cars etc

it's not currently planned, as it creates a real issue with the river, which is there purely as a a natural barrier way of meaning we won't have to model the entire of Louisville and surrounds over the river, only the portion on this side north of where the mall etc is (which will still be meaty enough in terms of work and play area). Also in terms of lore, for a good portion of the early game at least, the other side of the river is fine and unaware of the zombie threat across the river, so there are multiple issues with adding swimming and maintaining our story, the huge ton of work it would add aside.

Maybe if at some point we can do some kind of 'currents are too strong' thing to keep the river uncrossable we could consider it. No promises though.

41 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Maybe if at some point we can do some kind of 'currents are too strong' thing to keep the river uncrossable we could consider it. No promises though.

Are there plans for shallow water?

The sort of depth you can walk in/across like streams and the edges of rivers/lake etc.

It would be nice to see more streams etc. but with no way to cross them I guess they would be annoying barriers.

7 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

it's not currently planned, as it creates a real issue with the river, which is there purely as a a natural barrier way of meaning we won't have to model the entire of Louisville and surrounds over the river, only the portion on this side north of where the mall etc is (which will still be meaty enough in terms of work and play area). Also in terms of lore, for a good portion of the early game at least, the other side of the river is fine and unaware of the zombie threat across the river, so there are multiple issues with adding swimming and maintaining our story, the huge ton of work it would add aside.

Okay, thanks for this answer. There is also a big problem with zombies, what should they do? Swim or drown? Swimming for zombies would be weird but drowning would be too easy to get rid off zombies, so yeah I guess it's better to let it be a "wall"

On 6/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, lemmy101 said:

I'd implement it as a current that pushes you back to the shore where you came from at an angle once you get to a certain distance. But I don't see the need for swimming as an integral part. It's not immersive to not be able to, but not a major gameplay hurdle either imo.