Demo Ran Great, Full Game Low FPS

sirrealist

Question

Aloha!

I tried the demo because a friend of mine has PZ and I really liked it. The demo ran great with all default display settings, at 1920x1080, full screen. However, the full game runs at about 2-3 fps at same when zoomed out moderately, nothing special on the screen. To get the game to run passably (20-30 fps) I have to run it  1280x720, windowed. I have tried all the "low-fps" suggestions (locking to 30fps, vsync off, low shadows, no post processing, 32bit bat file etc), but nothing seems to help. This laptop has two adapters installed, an integrated Intel and an integrated AMD Radeon. Maybe the game is using the Intel adapter instead of the AMD? I wanted to get a screen shot showing the demo working much better, but now that I've purchased the game, Steam won't let me install the demo. I tried uninstalling the game to install the demo but it just launches the full game installer. I've attached some screen shots from dxdiag showing my adapters, and screen grabs from the game showing FPSs I described, as well as the logs.zip. Please help me... not sure why the full game runs so much worse than the demo. I don't have any mods installed, and I tried a fresh copy of the game. I also reinstalled AMD drivers. Tomorrow I can try to uninstall all audio/video drivers and the game, then reinstall everything and see if that helps. 

Thank you so much!

disp1.PNG

disp2.PNG

full screen 1080.png

windowed 720.PNG

logs.zip

4 answers to this question

Got it! I went into the AMD Radeon settings, then system->switchable graphics. I didn't see PZ listed under installed apps or recent apps, so I clicked browse, then browsed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid" and selected "ProjectZomboid64.exe". That added it to the applications page for "switchblade graphics". I then set it to "high performance" and it runs much better now! Thank you for your help!

Just to be sure, I chose the correct file, yes? Should I have chosen the "ProjectZomboid64.bat" file instead, or something else?

Yeah, Beard, tells me I'm wrong, as well. :D Weird, it shows up fine on my Dell.

The game should be installed in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

It's the red and black circle if you don't see the extension.

Right click on the ProjectZomboid64.exe instead. It should be there. 

Yeah, it's more likely the game's using the Intel over the AMD GPU. For whatever reason, some computers fail to detect that it's a high-performance application.

Right click on the Project Zomboid shortcut (Steam should have created this by default on install) on your Desktop. Then you can select which GPU the game will run on from the right-click menu.

32-bit is just for debugging at this point ( users were more likely to have working 32-bit drivers than 64-bit at one point, so it tended to be what I defaulted to when I tried to get the most basic information from people). It is the opposite of well-performing at this point. Don't use it. :P

Hope it helps.

Oh, almost forgot. Zooming out beyond 200% will pretty much universally tank the frame rate regardless of your settings ( it's basically forcing the game to sort and draw a lot more stuff). Because you played the demo, I imagine it's letting you go all the way up to 250%. You can uncheck them in Options. It might also explain the frame rate drops in your screenshot.

Thanks for getting back so quickly, and this on Mother's Day! Unfortunately, I don't see any options to choose which GPU to use. Right-clicking on the PZ desktop icon give me the usual suspects of Windows r-click options:

r-click.jpg

Archived