Combat Renovations

nasKo

6 hours ago, Хибити\Hibiti [BLR] said:

Cool. Let's resent those who are against the behavior of zombies as the Walking Dead. Since it is not the best example to follow.

Or with the profession it turned out like this: our opinion wins over the opinion of which there is few. And no matter what is right.

Blacksmithing isn't like what you see in games like Skyrim, or 7 Days to Die, or similar titles. The craft requires very specific tools, things that, I'm sure, would be hard to implement in the game such as power hammers. You would have to get flux, you would need propane or charcoal for the furnace, you would need vats of oil, many different hammers, etc. They would have to put as much time and effort into making a blacksmith profession and it's facets as they did into the vehicles build to make sure that it comes out right, all for what? so you can wield a crudely-made shoddy sword or knife? So you can make bullets? Very wishful thinking.

And Enigma is right, no matter whose opinion is most popular, the DEVELOPERS have the final say as to what gets implemented, and just because the majority of the, probably, underwhelming minority of people who do want changes to professions want blacksmithing, doesn't mean they're gonna get it.

5 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

A healthy human being would have a really hard time biting a chunk out of someone's neck. But for the sake of gore, a rotting corpse is somehow able to do that with ease in B-movies. Imo it's just cheesy & also doesn't result in good gameplay - it just isn't fun to survive a zombie attack only to bleed out seconds later.  I guess it's an unpopular opinion, but i think the chance to die from a bite is too high as it is. If getting bitten means you're almost guaranteed to die, there's no suspense. It's also the reason why First Aid is kinda useless as a skill.

TLDR: Bad injuries = fun, instant death = meh.

1) Well, a human actually wouldn't have a hard time tearing any sort of skin on any part of another human. if little mice and rodents have strong enough teeth and jaw strength to penetrate the human epidermis, than a human can. I'm sorry friend, that is just a fact. Plus, you don't have to LITERALLY tear a chunk out, as penetrating the arteries on the neck would be more than sufficient enough to kill someone.

2) What about getting your throat torn out is cheesy? It happens my guy. Maybe the frequency in movies is cheesy but I don't really understand where you're comin from here.
3) If you bleed out seconds after a zombie attack and die, you haven't survived have you?

4) I think you're talking about infection, but if not, this still applies: No one goes around in a serious playthrough attacking a mob of zeds by throwing themselves into the thick of it unless they are willing to accept the risks. First aid is very useful in the game, as sometimes you have to do things to make quick getaways, and sometimes zeds surprise you and get a bite or a scratch in, sometimes you vault over glass, sometimes you fall and sprain your ankle, sometimes you get burned. Turn off the infection chance so you don't turn, and first aid will have a whole new meaning, brother. 

5) It is very easy to avoid situations like are talked about in this post, but if you decide to go all gung-ho commando rambo, then there can be consequences, plus in the video, they said there will be specific skills to help players fight this situation. You're looking too far into this my friend. It's a subtle change that will only affect those who let it. Protip: don't let it affect you.

Ah nice we can sneak faster now and combat doesn't look like that slow
Will we be still able to push down 3 zombies in a single hit?

I don't get people complaining about bites being so deadly, they always have been deadly, now you'll just bleed to death instead of waiting a day to get zombified, it doesn't really change that much

3 hours ago, Axezombie said:
I don't get people complaining about bites being so deadly, they always have been deadly, now you'll just bleed to death instead of waiting a day to get zombified, it doesn't really change that much

You're correct. People will just restart their saves anyway or make a new one.

This difference is it's now instantaneous.

This way you'll get a more glorified and gory death because of lack of combat skills, and being overwhelmed. If you do get out safely, then you actually count yourself extremely lucky.

I just want this out already! C'mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't cry if my character falls thru' the map or some shit just release already!!!! pleaseee!

Edited by Burleon

Maybe it's just me but the faster movement / anim speed makes things a little more "game-y" looking to me.

And realism aside I also think it's more fun to have many small wounds, having to patch up your character and stuff (especially now that we'll be able to see wounds and bandages) than instant death from one scratch/bite, but I don't expect that to change :)

6 hours ago, Axezombie said:
Ah nice we can sneak faster now and combat doesn't look like that slow
Will we be still able to push down 3 zombies in a single hit?

and it's literally only neck bites we've changed severity of.

1 hour ago, crossed said:

Maybe it's just me but the faster movement / anim speed makes things a little more "game-y" looking to me.

And realism aside I also think it's more fun to have many small wounds, having to patch up your character and stuff (especially now that we'll be able to see wounds and bandages) than instant death from one scratch/bite, but I don't expect that to change :)

it's not just you, it's a concern we're trying to balance against the sluggishness, it may change again before release to try and find some sweet spot between the two, we'll see how it plays out. The slower movement / anim speed drew a lot more complaints tho.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:18 PM, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

Imo Realism > Romero.

A healthy human being would have a really hard time biting a chunk out of someone's neck. But for the sake of gore, a rotting corpse is somehow able to do that with ease in B-movies. Imo it's just cheesy & also doesn't result in good gameplay - it just isn't fun to survive a zombie attack only to bleed out seconds later.  I guess it's an unpopular opinion, but i think the chance to die from a bite is too high as it is. If getting bitten means you're almost guaranteed to die, there's no suspense. It's also the reason why First Aid is kinda useless as a skill.

TLDR: Bad injuries = fun, instant death = meh.

im a huge fan of instant kill enemies like that though, for me its way more fun than just bad injuries. its a great way to punish the player for being careless against / underestimating their opponent.

playing days gone on hard is one of the more fun experiences i had in recent gaming. a single infected kills you in 2-3 hits and is hard to dispatch without proper equipment, forcing you to think twice over wether youre going to enter combat or sneak past (9/10 times the better option) as well as making the game much, much more intense.

Regarding when you get eaten now, I remember a while ago I saw that there was plans for some different death animations eventually, with hopefully some cool looking Romero style deaths. I know this won't be added in till a good while later once the anims are already out as it shouldn't be a priority, but in the meantime I personally think it would be better if when your character dies from getting eaten by like 6 or more zombies, he shouldn't come back as a zombie himself. Something about it just looks a bit weird to me, I'd prefer it if the character just got eaten for a while and then left in a giant pool of blood. Obviously if he dies from getting bit or a couple of zombies it would make sense for him to come back. Idk if anyone else agrees?  

36 minutes ago, Alex2213 said:

Regarding when you get eaten now, I remember a while ago I saw that there was plans for some different death animations eventually, with hopefully some cool looking Romero style deaths. I know this won't be added in till a good while later once the anims are already out as it shouldn't be a priority, but in the meantime I personally think it would be better if when your character dies from getting eaten by like 6 or more zombies, he shouldn't come back as a zombie himself. Something about it just looks a bit weird to me, I'd prefer it if the character just got eaten for a while and then left in a giant pool of blood. Obviously if he dies from getting bit or a couple of zombies it would make sense for him to come back. Idk if anyone else agrees?  

That's a good point. If the whole "bones showing after being eaten" is going to be a thing, the zombies would have eaten a lot of the character already. It may look more gory and horrifying to actually hear your character screaming while they're being eaten and torn to shreds, and not coming back.

Maybe they could come back more visibly damaged if it's only a few zombies, however it would make more sense of them coming back after being bitten and escaping and turning over time like you're saying. The "upper limit" could be used to determine if that character has a chance to come back mildly damaged, or if they're absolutely destroyed and mangled to pieces.

Hello, i have quit the game for about 2 years because i was so hyped with the animation update that i couldn't wait. Yesterday i saw all of these amazing updates in the 'News' category on your website and i thought that the animation update was released, i was so excited and ready to reinstall it. 

After a while, i realized that all of these were only news and not an actual update... Can someone give me, an estimation date to check the website again? (with good news about the animation update?)

How the progress going? Are we in good way or do we need another year? (I don't have any problem to wait, i just need to know when to check again).

Thank you so much guys!

3 hours ago, manos2864 said:

Hello, i have quit the game for about 2 years because i was so hyped with the animation update that i couldn't wait. Yesterday i saw all of these amazing updates in the 'News' category on your website and i thought that the animation update was released, i was so excited and ready to reinstall it. 

After a while, i realized that all of these were only news and not an actual update... Can someone give me, an estimation date to check the website again? (with good news about the animation update?)

How the progress going? Are we in good way or do we need another year? (I don't have any problem to wait, i just need to know when to check again).

Thank you so much guys!

Seems to be extremely close, as in the next few months for IWBUMS, if things keep progressing how they are currently. I would say check back in a few months. You can check the website every Thursday (although Friday is better because there's no set time for news to be posted). I'm sure that the blog title when it's released will be hard to miss. :P

Excuse me for my english I use a translator, you do excellent work take your time and do not listen to people who ask you to go faster !! :) <3 <3

Edited by Packo

On 5/10/2019 at 4:45 AM, PapayaKing said:

2) What about getting your throat torn out is cheesy? It happens my guy. Maybe the frequency in movies is cheesy but I don't really understand where you're comin from here.

Stuff like this:

Brainless, rotten corpses that are barely able to walk are suddendly able to jump people out of nowhere like Arya Stark, fight like pro wrestlers, and/or simply tear people apart like they're a zombiefied version of Superman. 

And don't even get me started on scenes like this:

1 hour ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

Maybe the frequency in movies is cheesy

It seems as though you forget that there are many more ways people die in this series alone, and I also said in the quote above, i mentioned how in movies (including shows) it is cheesy. But not only did you link one scene where the death was horribly acted out, you listed one that wasn't even a death where the person dies by their neck. Dale dies by having his abdomen opened up by a zombie. A very mortal wound. I don't know what you're getting at compadre, again. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine, but you can't really label the action overall as cheesy in general, as when it happens (outside of hollywood) , it's because the person was careless and wasn't paying attention and gets punished. The situation in the game is very circumstantial, so do your best to avoid the circumstance, as it is very avoidable. The argument for realism in a scenario based on things that aren't real is a poor argument. An example is it's perfectly fine to develop the vehicles realistically (at least as much as they can make then) but making a mechanic on how strong a zombie's jaw may or may not be is pretty moot. Zombie's don't exist, and this situation, while it does happen in real life, doesn't happen from zombies. Just let it go mane.