Night Drivin’

nasKo

spicy-eggplant-1-712x462.jpg

Hello all, for your viewing delectation today we have an extended gameplay compilation from the internal test build – the roughest edges/bugs now sufficiently quashed to allow for it.

As we explain in the vid we still have a fair few issues to chase down in the coming weeks: strafing issues, character wheeling meaning it feels quite imprecise with the turning circle, general combat issues where some weapons feel too slow/fast etc.

We also still need to plug in work on rotational blending, MP hook-ups and the work on the zoom that led to the sharper-looking models we showed off in past weeks. None of which are overnight affairs.

So you can see what work we still have to do, we’ve used some subtitling to underline some of the issues as and when they crop up during the gameplay.

All that said though, it’s really feeling fun to play – and to look at. So, here we go.

Also added to the internal build this week is an experimental system to help with gun aiming – which will also come alongside a general tightening stuff like the shotgun radius, before we fully overhaul firearms in a future build.

Please note a) this might not end up in the main game or primary game modes depending on how fun it feels, and b) the colour is WIP and will be toned down in any full release.

image.png

We have also done work on attacks to feeding zombies, and added more zombie-like stances to zeds eating dead bodies. We are also in the process of adding smashed glass that lands after you break windows, which will then prove a hazard if you fall on it during your escape – or of course don’t wear shoes and do a John McClane over it.

Short but hopefully sweet! See you next time!

This week’s night drive from Spicy Eggplant. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.

I'm really happy of how all evolve, can't wait to play with this new clothes and anims, but if you made change to weapon (things that would be really appreciate), it could be really nice to see bullets flying when we shoot, like when you "shoot" with bow, we see the arrow flying ^^ (sorry, not english native), and maybe made the laser-sight noticeable/visible would be nice too.

But I'm ready to wait for any guns modification if I can play with all the great work you did on clothes and anims on a future build (in 2 weeks... maybe ;)

2 hours ago, Snakeman said:

Can I suggest to remove borders from zombies and add a icon when aiming with firearms? Like this?

image.png

Yeah, with a little transparency or a slider for opacity in option, so we could totally remove it and play the hardcore oldstyle on some server

Edited by link8dragon

Sees 4:23

Good to see you added the Zed eating like dogs in the proper Zed fashion.

That said, guys, seriously, aren't we already at the point where an IWBUMS is possible? We know there are bugs and all, but we've never expected you guys to release a fully bug-free upgrade from the start; the Vehicles Updated had plenty of bugs of its own (including the dreaded earworm that was the early engine sounds), but we still played the hell outta it. I know you guys don't give out ETAs, so I won't ask for that, but aren't we at a point where it's stable enough for at least an IWBUMS that's more IWBUMSier than usual? I think I speak for everybody when I say we all wanna play this...

I loved how concise this update was! Thank you for really demonstrating what you've been working on. I'm very excited. Particularly about the clothing diversity that is now possible. It infuriated me that my character always was wearing short sleeve shirts, cause I hate short sleeve shirts irl. yay! If my character could wear a dress or a hoodie that would be pretty rad. And it gives players another fun thing to search for. How about you make certain clothing items super rare? That would be fun.

1 hour ago, Blake81 said:

That said, guys, seriously, aren't we already at the point where an IWBUMS is possible? We know there are bugs and all, but we've never expected you guys to release a fully bug-free upgrade from the start; the Vehicles Updated had plenty of bugs of its own (including the dreaded earworm that was the early engine sounds), but we still played the hell outta it. I know you guys don't give out ETAs, so I won't ask for that, but aren't we at a point where it's stable enough for at least an IWBUMS that's more IWBUMSier than usual? I think I speak for everybody when I say we all wanna play this...

When it's stable enough to be released to IWBUMS, we will. There is still some work to do, namely the rotantional blending as well as the sharper looking models we've mentioned previously.

Additionally, this will all have to be hooked up to multiplayer before we release to IWBUMS.

Well that looks like a short enough to-do list, which hopefully means some point later this month/early June maybe. Because man, all the stuff you're showing us... is like your parents showing you all the X-Mas gift they have for you in March and but not letting you have them until December. :P

9 hours ago, Blake81 said:

Sees 4:23

Good to see you added the Zed eating like dogs in the proper Zed fashion.

anims still aren't to the point the first vehicle build was - multiplayer is completely non-functional, the game difficulty balance of the game is completely fubared, it will run like an asthmatic dog with high zombie counts, and anims have been hyped for years longer than vehicles were, so we have to make sure first version doesn't piss people off cause there is 100x more 'it's taken them X long to do' expectation. We're also very much hoping that anims going public will coincide with a sales increase that will pay for all the significant extra resources and money we've put into getting them out there asap, and pushing them out in an underwhelming state would be dangerous to risk muting the excitement and attention it would get. Sadly as much as IWBUMS is a testing beta branch, a huge amount of people take it as the defacto build as soon as it goes public in any way.

As much as testers are positive about them, they just aren't ready for IWBUMS before a few key things, particularly the rotational blending and MP support, as well as some SERIOUS optimization to not cut off the bottom half of our players. But that day is definitely getting closer. We won't keep it in private testing longer than i needs to be, but a few minutes of video simply doesn't tell you the whole story.

13 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Are we going to be able to pick up the broken glass and place it somewhere else?

It would make a nice way to know if someone is going around your base with them crunching that glass.

Yes please,  I need it! 

Wow; the moment when the player came around the corner of the warehouse, and all the zombies started standing up and turning to look at him and he noped out was great.  Hadn't thought of how animations will improve even little things like that.  Looks great - I can't wait to play it!

Are there plans to add reload animations for guns?  I didn't see any for the shotgun parts, but might have missed it.  Though I guess maybe waiting until doing the full firearms rework makes sense too.

13 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

anims still aren't to the point the first vehicle build was - multiplayer is completely non-functional, the game difficulty balance of the game is completely fubared, it will run like an asthmatic dog with high zombie counts, and anims have been hyped for years longer than vehicles were, so we have to make sure first version doesn't piss people off cause there is 100x more 'it's taken them X long to do' expectation. We're also very much hoping that anims going public will coincide with a sales increase that will pay for all the significant extra resources and money we've put into getting them out there asap, and pushing them out in an underwhelming state would be dangerous to risk muting the excitement and attention it would get. Sadly as much as IWBUMS is a testing beta branch, a huge amount of people take it as the defacto build as soon as it goes public in any way.

As much as testers are positive about them, they just aren't ready for IWBUMS before a few key things, particularly the rotational blending and MP support, as well as some SERIOUS optimization to not cut off the bottom half of our players. But that day is definitely getting closer. We won't keep it in private testing longer than i needs to be, but a few minutes of video simply doesn't tell you the whole story.

Question, are the controller test build controls going to be in the new anims build when you guys release it? You just said that you want it to be in a great testable state before releasing it to the public, but is that going to maybe get some polish too? I talk about it a lot in my posts because it's the default way I play the game but releasing it as-is into the IWBUMS branch wouldn't be optimal as there's still some pretty serious bugs that are there, and having someone (like Stas from General Arcade) who is there for us little guys and gals would be really great once the resources could be diverted. 

11 hours ago, PapayaKing said:

Question, are the controller test build controls going to be in the new anims build when you guys release it? You just said that you want it to be in a great testable state before releasing it to the public, but is that going to maybe get some polish too? I talk about it a lot in my posts because it's the default way I play the game but releasing it as-is into the IWBUMS branch wouldn't be optimal as there's still some pretty serious bugs that are there, and having someone (like Stas from General Arcade) who is there for us little guys and gals would be really great once the resources could be diverted. 

I'd say its inclusion in an initial anims build is 50:50 atm.

So we don't lose this though, could you please outline your primary bug concerns with the build in bullet points in a post in the thread?

I know you've already given us reports, but it would be great to have it all in one place - as you're one of the keenest of the controller testers and there was a lot of radio chatter on this build overall back when Stas was working daily on it. Would be good to have stuff spotlit. :)

10 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

So we don't lose this though, could you please outline your primary bug concerns with the build in bullet points in a post in the thread?

I know you've already given us reports, but it would be great to have it all in one place - as you're one of the keenest of the controller testers and there was a lot of radio chatter on this build overall back when Stas was working daily on it. Would be good to have stuff spotlit. :)

I figured it wouldn't be thrown in, so it's good to hear it'll get some polish. I'll be sure to go in the thread and highlight the issues that have been the most prevalent, and the ones that I have found. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, Batsphinx said:

I've compiled the issues so whenever you or whoever has the time, they can check it out.

2 hours ago, Suomiboi said:

Oi! Is that a Rolling Stones - Paint it Black reference I hear in the soundtrack at 0:31 of the video? How long has it been there and why haven't I noticed it? :D 

??? which part of paint it black?