Picking Up Shelves

Dethesius

I find that if I try to pick up a specific type of shelf and I fair where only one of the 2 pieces drop, I will from then on never be able to pick up that same type of shelf (Book case - magazine rack etc), ever.  I've had this happen with 2 different book cases that were two tiles wide.   I was able to fix one because I had an extra set that I had to place before it let me pick up any more.  If it breaks where only one piece survives, once again, I will no longer be able to pick up that same type of object.  When attempting to pick it up, it highlights the object red as though I'm missing a tool, which I am not.  It will also, while red, allow me to pick up the floor tile below it.   Very weird bug.

13 hours ago, Dethesius said:

I find that if I try to pick up a specific type of shelf and I fair where only one of the 2 pieces drop, I will from then on never be able to pick up that same type of shelf (Book case - magazine rack etc), ever.  I've had this happen with 2 different book cases that were two tiles wide.   I was able to fix one because I had an extra set that I had to place before it let me pick up any more.  If it breaks where only one piece survives, once again, I will no longer be able to pick up that same type of object.  When attempting to pick it up, it highlights the object red as though I'm missing a tool, which I am not.  It will also, while red, allow me to pick up the floor tile below it.   Very weird bug.

How high is your Carpentry skill? Higher skill level gives you higher chance not to break stuff. Keep disaddembling, reassembling and crafting to level up.

Regarding objects being highlighted in red, your char needs to have enough room in primary inventory, too. Try to drop something from your inventory, get the char to carry under 10 and then attempt to pick up the object. Let us know how it goes!

Pan,

I do understand but in this case, it was none of the above mentioned.  The first time I tried to disassemble and 'bugged' myself, my skill was not very high but I had a chance of succeeding.  Now my carpentry is capped, all tools needed in hand and no where close to overweight.  I do these kind of pickups without anything on me but what I need (weight).

However, I did go back and check.  Same issue.

Thanks for the reply

46 minutes ago, Dethesius said:

Pan,

I do understand but in this case, it was none of the above mentioned.  The first time I tried to disassemble and 'bugged' myself, my skill was not very high but I had a chance of succeeding.  Now my carpentry is capped, all tools needed in hand and no where close to overweight.  I do these kind of pickups without anything on me but what I need (weight).

However, I did go back and check.  Same issue.

Thanks for the reply

Any mods?

Nah, none at all.  Total vanilla server. 

I am running my client side clean also.   I can work around it.  I would just have to have someone pick up the shelf for me and I would have to place them.  Once I place them, it fixes the bug but not until then.  There was something else that I found that did this exact same thing in the same manner.  It happened to me a couple months back originally with iron shelves but once I placed a spare I had, it fixed it.  It would highlight one side but not the other (only the side that I was able to pick up when half of the shelf broke).

It seems odd that a 2 tile item would have half of it destroy when picking up.  It's as though it makes 2 checks, one for each tile.  When one breaks, that's the one that will no longer highlight.  

For example:

- Tile 1 and Tile 2.  Tile 1 breaks but Tile 2 doesn't.  When highlighting a similar item to pick up, it will show Tile 2 red but when highlighting over tile 1, it just shifts Tile 2 to the left to cover Tile 1, again highlighted red.  

The item doesn't even appear in the window.  The only thing that will show up in an info window is the floor tile below it.  I've even shifter (R) to see if I could select the shelf and it acts as though it's not there.  This is a totally different area but same shelf.  (Or I should say Magazine rack)

The only thing I have not done was reinstall the game to see if that would fix it.  Still, even if I did this, it would likely occur again if I failed on picking up a 2 tiled item.  Doesn't have this issue on a 1 tile item.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, Dethesius said:

Nah, none at all.  Total vanilla server. 

I am running my client side clean also.   I can work around it.  I would just have to have someone pick up the shelf for me and I would have to place them.  Once I place them, it fixes the bug but not until then.  There was something else that I found that did this exact same thing in the same manner.  It happened to me a couple months back originally with iron shelves but once I placed a spare I had, it fixed it.  It would highlight one side but not the other (only the side that I was able to pick up when half of the shelf broke).

It seems odd that a 2 tile item would have half of it destroy when picking up.  It's as though it makes 2 checks, one for each tile.  When one breaks, that's the one that will no longer highlight.  

For example:

- Tile 1 and Tile 2.  Tile 1 breaks but Tile 2 doesn't.  When highlighting a similar item to pick up, it will show Tile 2 red but when highlighting over tile 1, it just shifts Tile 2 to the left to cover Tile 1, again highlighted red.  

The item doesn't even appear in the window.  The only thing that will show up in an info window is the floor tile below it.  I've even shifter (R) to see if I could select the shelf and it acts as though it's not there.  This is a totally different area but same shelf.  (Or I should say Magazine rack)

The only thing I have not done was reinstall the game to see if that would fix it.  Still, even if I did this, it would likely occur again if I failed on picking up a 2 tiled item.  Doesn't have this issue on a 1 tile item.

Does it display the little placeholder item on the floor that represents furniture, or is it just like half of the item is there, unable to be broken, and the other half is a pick-up-able object on the floor? I would be interested to actually see the process, maybe post a link or a gif?