Thunder can start fires and electrocute you

Junkid

Hi,

As you know, Project Zomboid is a exacting game, challenging, but when you have HQ, game is a little more easy, and the fire is not a real danger when you know how that works.

So why not implement thunder and a chance to be hit by thunder, you or your base. (1/200, something like this, a little chance)

Imagine that you run on a football ground or on a wide grass ground and be followed by many zombies. Suddenly, a zombie (or you) get electrocute, this starts a fire, burning the soil and everything around.

There'll be realistic conditions, you can only be hit on a elevated point (like a building) or on a empty ground (construction site, field...). Thunder can hit cars and trigger alarm, burn wood houses, burn zombies...

But chance needs to rule, you are not a target, you are just unlucky. :)

12 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

The problem is that this takes control from the players hand and makes RNG the decider of the player's fate, which rather than adding to the challenge mostly just adds to the frustration. I think most of the monotony of late game will be solved once we get a proper NPC system.

Yeah i agree, it's frustrating... But this game is already frustrating a lot (bleed out to death after climbing a broken window, be trapped in a car with many zombies around, be invade by horde at night because you have run for get to the second floor... unlucky). And that's why we love it, be better in every game. :lol:

But you right, it's details, that needs to come after big work (NPC, Louisville).

In many ways, i trust in the devs.

Edited by Junkid

Yeah i agree, it's frustrating... But this game is already frustrating a lot (bleed out to death after climbing a broken window, be trapped in a car with many zombies around, be invade by horde at night because you have run for get to the second floor... unlucky). And that's why we love it, be better in every game.

Yeah except that all these situations happen because of you not because of RNG, if being hit by thunder doesn't kill you right away it's okay but else...

2 hours ago, EUDOXIO said:

Directly on you is a bad gameplay idea, but a lightning strike near you on a 1/1000 chance, that can cause a fire and if the tiles where the strike goes are flammable it can spread, can be the cherry on the top for our lovely storms :D

This seems about perfect IMO

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:37 AM, EUDOXIO said:

Directly on you is a bad gameplay idea, but a lightning strike near you on a 1/1000 chance, that can cause a fire and if the tiles where the strike goes are flammable it can spread, can be the cherry on the top for our lovely storms :D

also will add one more challange forcing people to go indoors during storms. or extinguish during storm not to get burnt. In some sadistic way i like this idea :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also like this idea. I'm all in for more challenging gameplay mechanics, because as OP said, after you get your fortified base, the game starts to get a little easy.

And OK, the lightning can't hit players because RNG death sucks, but still could be a little percentage to hit the player's base. To prevent that, a player with high Metalwork skills (6? 8? 10?) could build a Lightning rod.