Cooking frozen food takes too long

Eep²

Question

At 500 degrees, a pizza slice (or even whole pizza) should be fully cooked in 30 minutes MAX yet in THIS game it takes HOURS to even thaw, let alone cook. WTF? What file do I have to change to tweak food cooking times?

11 answers to this question

Point is you're adding extra detail for no real reason . . . And incorrect detail, at that, given it takes 40-50 minutes in-game to thaw said pizza, not hours. THEN posting LIKE this.

Otherwise, kind of agree? Putting something in an oven for 50 minutes and having it only transition to "thawed" is kind of silly. But then, it's also a video game with 10-minute steps for time and will literally burn your house down if you're not quick enough with taking something out of the oven. Kind of makes sense when you take into account fast forwarding and the ability to have days as short as 15 minutes.

Take the case of bacon-past: In the bad old days, bacon would take 5 minutes to cook and, well, instantly burst into flame. In real-life, it takes ~3 minutes to cook bacon, yet even 5 minutes was too short. Real life, in other words, doesn't always work in Project Zomboid.

It's not "incorrect detail" to me since it DID take in-game HOURS to thaw a pizza slice (at least that's what the icon looked like and it wasn't a Hydrocraft item). I use CAPITALS for EMPHASIS. Get over it.

The time (for cooking, changing bandages, dirty clothes, etc) doesn't make sense and should automatically adjust relative to the game day length. While there's a sandbox game setting for dirty clothes (which doesn't seem to affect gameplay anyway), for the more important and annoying gameplay of dirty bandages and cooking there are no settings. If anything, longer times make more sense with longer game days but I still want a way to customize these times more. Real-life CAN (note emphasis again) be simulated in a game if thought out more and designed correctly.

19 hours ago, Eep² said:

At 500 degrees, a pizza slice (or even whole pizza) should be fully cooked in 30 minutes MAX yet in THIS game it takes HOURS to even thaw, let alone cook. WTF? What file do I have to change to tweak food cooking times?

It takes forever because Pizza (frozen or not) does not require cooking and can be eaten as is. And items that do not need cooking do not react to being heated or cooked (unless these items are explosive at which point they may.. well, explode).

Huh, okay. Well, you can certainly continue communicating in an obnoxious manner (equivalent to shouting every couple of words, not emphasis), if you like. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't get you anywhere.

Time already scales, and I certainly support more options for customization when possible. But, disagreeing with an implementation of a system doesn't mean that it hasn't been thought out or that the design is flawed. It means we have different goals - Project Zomboid doesn't need to have a 100% realistic depiction of the rate of which food thaws because it's not a cooking simulator. It would not be fun.

I uSe CaPiTaLs FoR eMpHaSiS. gEt OvEr It.

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

items that do not need cooking do not react to being heated or cooked

I just have visions of this guy scratching his head in front of the oven, wondering why nothing is happening. :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

It takes forever because Pizza (frozen or not) does not require cooking and can be eaten as is. And items that do not need cooking do not react to being heated or cooked (unless these items are explosive at which point they may.. well, explode).

19 minutes ago, OffitMan said:

I just have visions of this guy scratching his head in front of the oven, wondering why nothing is happening. :mrgreen:

Except for the fact that the pizza IS thawing but VERY slowly over several hours vs. minutes in a 500-degree oven. Oops. Drive through...

47 minutes ago, Eep² said:

Except for the fact that the pizza IS thawing but VERY slowly over several hours vs. minutes in a 500-degree oven. Oops. Drive through...

Except for the fact that it took 40 minutes when trying to reproduce this (in-game time). Which, if I'm not mistaken, isn't "several hours" but "minutes."

Pizza is not a cookable item. It doesn't care about the oven. Which is silly in itself, but hey. It was added more for decoration for the Pizza Whirl, before freezers were even a thing.

Archived