Heatmap Migration

zeeb

Any plans on adding a heatmap migration system? DayZ has something similar to where the zombies tend to spawn more in higher areas of activity. Maybe have so zombies focuses on migrating to areas of higher activity? That way you can't just get bored to death living in the woods. Or having a base far off on the edges of the map. Maybe as a choosable option in Sandbox mode?

The way I think it works is that your character constantly puts off "heat" which is then given a +% chance to the spawning system, which in this case would be the pathing system. The higher the heat signature the higher the chance of the game picking a pathing system towards that location.
Heat should be increasing the % so its still somewhat randomized, but enough to actually matter without making basebuilding useless.

This would be really nice in my opinion but I don't know how hard it is to implement it.

Sounds good as long as it's just a chance to spawn closer to that heat zone. Usually if you're building a base in the middle of no where you're kinda looking for more solitude. It would be hard to get that if it attracts hordes to you. It's kinda realistic to have the majority of zombies in urban areas too.

I want this so bad. I see it as something that could be tied to the zombie smell ability (currently unused I believe).

To the Dorito's point, I get that, but I would want the zeds to sniff me out there eventually too. Maybe it could be connected to zoning, with zed smell accuracy modified by urban (high accuracy), suburban (medium accuracy), and rural (low accuracy). The logic being that higher building density makes for more focused wind/air patterns, while reduced density leaves your scent to scatter on the breeze. If that makes sense.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:01 PM, DoritoS said:

Sounds good as long as it's just a chance to spawn closer to that heat zone. Usually if you're building a base in the middle of no where you're kinda looking for more solitude. It would be hard to get that if it attracts hordes to you. It's kinda realistic to have the majority of zombies in urban areas too.

Just make it so migration isn't fully dependant on heat mapping. Adding a little randomizing should counter it.
Also about the spawning, I think you misunderstood me; in DayZ the heat map dictates spawning, which is not what I ment. I ment that in PZ the heat map should only change their pathing/migration system.
If you have a base in the woods it would be wierd if zombies started spawning in the woods, I ment more like the zombies are "drawn" towards areas with humans, slowly but steady. Still spawning in towns etc where it would logically be more zombies. But moving in the general direction of players over time, instead of randomly spreading out. (Well some zombies should be distributed to empty areas to not create empty spaces, but you get the picture)

Like the hordes in TWD or the zombies in Dawn of the Dead 2004.
This would eliminate the boring feeling you get when you've created a secure location with enough food to last you a couple of years.

Zombies should ALWAYS be a threat imo, I don't want to feel completely safe. I want that lurking feeling of insecurity when I walk into the woods to chop trees or forage.
A reason to keep expanding and secure my base, instead of building a little hut and call GG.

Edited by zeeb

• 2 weeks later...

If you need a way to justify something like this then when you build something a zed hears it from a distance and moves a bit closer. Them moving closer brings other zed.

In scouring the town you tend to go down certain paths. Over time your scent builds in certain areas. Zeds move toward scent and other follow.

Over time they would track you back to an area.

Maybe have a bad luck random and a horde follows and your surprised but more often than not just constant stragglers till you spend a certain amount of time away.

AFAIK this was already implemented with the updates on zed migration, and I think there is a 'heat map' of sorts already being used.

The whole "base in the woods getting mobbed eventually" is already a thing that happens.

Edit: And yeah, you can already alter the properties around that in the settings. How long between periods where zombies populate nearby vacant chunks, how far zeds will travel when migrating on their own, how large zed groups can get by simply being attracted to each other's noises, etc.

Edited by Kim Jong Un