Archived Posts?

Blue001

I've noticed that posts here get archived very quickly. Or is it based on the passing of the year? It's just weird to me that a post that is only 2 months old and 4th down from the newest in a section is already archived and no longer accepts replies. Annoyingly there's also a thread I would like to add to that is also archived, because I would like to know why I can't post in the suggestion thread (which I have just assumed is because I am a new member to the forum, but that isn't said anywhere as a rule.).

One of the rules on any forum is to find if a similar thread has already been posted before you post one which is what I wanted to do. But here with archives being done 2 months afterwards, it makes it impossible to do that.

As a former community manager myself, I am a little confused by how this is being handled, it seems like a poor practice that may even scare away (or flat out annoy) new members from trying to interact with the community.

Of course, it could be that something happened here with a spam issue at some point and they reacted and put these rules into place.

When it comes to archived posts that are only two months old.... If you look at the most recent posts in this forum section, the third post down from this one....

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24906-indie-stones-next-game-wish/ 

It is from Dec and is already archived.

Now, the post I wanted to post on is from August of last year,  sure that's a bit longer ago, 6 months ago, but it is still on this front page in this section. 

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24429-how-to-post-in-pz-suggestions/

Posts get archived if there has been no response in two months and the threads have fewer than 200 posts, and < 2000 views. That's in order to keep the size of the database small. We'll see what impact lowering the settings would have.

We don't care much about people making a new thread about a similar topic :)

In terms of the suggestion forum, we made a hidden rule of having at least one post on the forums. The intention was to prevent people from dropping in, posting a suggestion that's been posted time and time again (over the years we've heard a lot of the same) and then tooting off into the sunset.

Thank you for the clarification on this. Appreciate you taking the time to let me know.

I'd suggest upping it to at least 4 months. Or, maybe whatever time frame normally passes between big game updates. As that will usually bring people back to the forums after a long dry spell of not posting.

Archived