Greyed Out Borders in Multiplayer (IWBUMS) While Driving

PapayaKing

I'm in the current IWBUMS beta, and I play with my girlfriend from time-to-time, however, when one or the other of us are driving a vehicle, we experience these greyed out borders eventually, probably signifying some sort of de-synchronization, that prevent us from going in that direction. It doesn't happen when we're on foot either, just in a vehicle, I'm curious as to what this is, because my connection is more than capable and stable enough to handle a server with two people, and her connection is stable enough to be on a server, however she lives in south-central Texas and I live in Southern California. I have 8GB of allocated RAM, and I was thinking of setting it to 16 because I have 24 available. Anyone else have this issue, or is there anyone who can offer an explanation? It's obviously a feature, but I would appreciate what is going on when this happens. Visually, it looks literally just like greyed out tiles that flicker sometimes that take around 5-10 seconds to load, allowing me to continue in that direction.

I'm in the normal version (04.43 I think) and the same thing happens to me when I open a server, I put 4 GB to the server, but it still happens and I do not know why it is, but when I see that it finishes loading it appears that zombies in that place with cones that seems to be loading, are like areas to not grab the entire map directly and that you walk slow the game I deduce myself, I hope I have helped you

The grayed out borders mean that one of you is having trouble loading the map, so the other person in the car gets the borders as well. This can range from bad connection to a slower computer. Some mods can also affect this if they slow down the map loading.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue for me. Multiplayer server up to three players. We adjusted some server settings to raise the zombie pop and now cars are basically undrivable. We start getting gray squares and someone inevitably gets kicked from the server while we are driving. Anyone know what we could do to attempt to stabilize the game?

15 hours ago, trudypoo2 said:

Same issue for me. Multiplayer server up to three players. We adjusted some server settings to raise the zombie pop and now cars are basically undrivable. We start getting gray squares and someone inevitably gets kicked from the server while we are driving. Anyone know what we could do to attempt to stabilize the game?

Try this:

ZombieUpdateMaxHighPriority=50

ZombieUpdateDelta=0.5

ZombieUpdateRadiusLowPriority=45.0

ZombieUpdateRadiusHighPriority=10.0

Edited by Enoahe

Tried those settings. Looks like we are still having issues. This didn't ever happen before we increased the zombie population but unfortunately we all prefer the settings stay as difficult. Are there other things in the world I can remove or lower to help the server? 

One thing that I have noticed myself is that having more zeds nearby increases load on the server.

Example: this graph is a load on the host for 1 player roaming around a base with some zeds, just your normal play on foot up till halfway. Then 2 helicopters happened, and player hides in a base with ~150 zeds going for him.

As you can see, that's about x2 load you get for additional 130-150 zeds at once nearby.

You can try to up your server hardware (mostly CPU) several times and see if that helps it.

graph_image.png

9 hours ago, rez said:

One thing that I have noticed myself is that having more zeds nearby increases load on the server.

Example: this graph is a load on the host for 1 player roaming around a base with some zeds, just your normal play on foot up till halfway. Then 2 helicopters happened, and player hides in a base with ~150 zeds going for him.

As you can see, that's about x2 load you get for additional 130-150 zeds at once nearby.

You can try to up your server hardware (mostly CPU) several times and see if that helps it.

graph_image.png

Not speaking for the other people (although I'm happy that many other people are commenting about the issue), I have a pretty beefy setup so maybe it's my girlfriend's PC, because that shit need work feel me. It's an all-in-one.