Performance issues

Franne

Question

I've played this game for over a hundred hours in the past and I booted it up again to see what had changed but it has a lag every 2-3 seconds which makes it super annoying to play. I've tried changing every setting possible (resolution, graphic settings etc) but nothing helps. What can I do? 

13 answers to this question

Could you check if any external programs would affect performance?
- Any overlay programs (Like Discord overlay, and even Steam overlay)
- Security programs

You can also check the NVidia Control Panel, and see if its forcing any settings on games (anti-aliasing, Vsync etc)

It doesn't seem like other programs affect it.

I've checked the Nvidia settings and it says it's using the general setting for everything. I don't know what any of the specific settings mean but vsync is using the 3D setting and antialiasing is on recommended. I would give you a screenshot but it's in Dutch... 

If you had the game installed before any major updates, we could try a complete reinstall. Uninstall the game from steam and makes sure that the "steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid" doesnt exist, as sometimes items can stay leftover.
After that, delete everything except the "Saves" folder in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"
This should give you a clean reinstall of the game without losing any save games you might have. After that, start the game on default settings on a new map and see if the problem persists.
If it still does, go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and upload the "console.txt" file. Make sure you do that right after the lags happen in-game, since the console gets reset every time you launch the game.

This just turns off all advanced settings, including 3D models: Place this options.ini file in %UserProfile%\Zomboid, overwriting your original one.  Assuming the game then runs properly, it should let you experiment by turning up one thing at a time until it breaks again.  Note that 3D models are off, so cars won't be visible.

options.ini

If it still doesn't run well, then try the pre-vehicles build (build 38.30). In Steam, right click PZ -> Properties -> Betas -> Build 38.30 and see how that plays.  If it works fine, try build 39, which is the pre-weather build.

3 hours ago, Franne said:

I've added most options and the game runs smoothly now, thank you!

Mind uploading a copy of your new options.ini file, so we can see what you left off?

Might help others with similar problems that come across the thread, not to mention give us a better idea of what's going on. :)

Just just drag and drop it onto the paper clip at the bottom of your reply, or press the "connect to choose files" button.

Hey! Sorry for the late reply.

Could you tell us if you have any mods enabled? They can usually cause stutters.
Could you also please upload the "logs.zip" file? You can find it in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid on your computer. It should contain important info about the problem.

Edit: You can also turn off the highest zoom levels if you haven't tried that. 250%, 225%, 200% and such

Archived