Far late game knowledge collelection/specialization
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have come to learn that with access to enough books (or in modern time just an internet connection and the knowledge on how to fact check information properly) there really is not anything one can not teach themselves alone with enough time and determination. I think it would be interesting if zomboid had an element similar to this. It somewhat does with the skill magazines and books, but really that is only a scratch on the surface compared to what one can teach themselves over time. I would like to see things like libraries with whealths of information, or very rare to find information that can be valuable, things like the ancient techniques for moving large heavy objects single handedly would be something one could find in a book if they spent enough time looking through books (but mid zombie doomsday it could take a very long time to find this information), many quality of life things such as making water filters out of natural materials would save survivors plenty of time on boiling water, or such rare things as bug cook books could make the easiest source or protein much more palatable. There are countless such examples, my point being that if somebody somewhere knows how to do it, and that information has ever been put into a book (or the internet) then one can most likely teach themselves to do it if they are willing to put in the immense work. Then there is the possibility of also sharing such skills around, much like Technological Disobedience (in Cuba, linked below for explanation). If there were enough options this could also give individual servers unique things about them without requiring modding, as the information available and the skills people specialize in would vary. It would also be a slow process, as only the most skilled players would even live long enough to specialize in anything.

This might be a bit much for this game, and I am not certain how well this captures the feel the developers are going for, but I suppose a discussion of the possibility could do not harm and might yield something.

10 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

I have come to learn that with access to enough books (or in modern time just an internet connection and the knowledge on how to fact check information properly) there really is not anything one can not teach themselves alone with enough time and determination. I think it would be interesting if zomboid had an element similar to this. It somewhat does with the skill magazines and books, but really that is only a scratch on the surface compared to what one can teach themselves over time. I would like to see things like libraries with whealths of information, or very rare to find information that can be valuable, things like the ancient techniques for moving large heavy objects single handedly would be something one could find in a book if they spent enough time looking through books (but mid zombie doomsday it could take a very long time to find this information), many quality of life things such as making water filters out of natural materials would save survivors plenty of time on boiling water, or such rare things as bug cook books could make the easiest source or protein much more palatable. There are countless such examples, my point being that if somebody somewhere knows how to do it, and that information has ever been put into a book (or the internet) then one can most likely teach themselves to do it if they are willing to put in the immense work. Then there is the possibility of also sharing such skills around, much like Technological Disobedience (in Cuba, linked below for explanation). If there were enough options this could also give individual servers unique things about them without requiring modding, as the information available and the skills people specialize in would vary. It would also be a slow process, as only the most skilled players would even live long enough to specialize in anything.

This might be a bit much for this game, and I am not certain how well this captures the feel the developers are going for, but I suppose a discussion of the possibility could do not harm and might yield something.

it really could be nice great idea i like it :) 

I think i have an idea how it might be possible to inplement this in game. So one more 'special skill' bar with 1 lvl ( loke 10k exp) - to start this skill you have to find book ( put like 5 books 1 for each skill 2k pageas each) when ypu fond some book you can decide if you want to learn this skill. If so 'special skill' will change to name of that skill. You have to read this book to start exp. Idebtify which actipns in game give exp to that skill and for every action you gain .1 of that skill. It will tale massive amount of time. Now just to identify those skills - what they give. And what actions progress each skill  

On 1/26/2019 at 6:23 AM, pzfreak said:

I think i have an idea how it might be possible to inplement this in game. So one more 'special skill' bar with 1 lvl ( loke 10k exp) - to start this skill you have to find book ( put like 5 books 1 for each skill 2k pageas each) when ypu fond some book you can decide if you want to learn this skill. If so 'special skill' will change to name of that skill. You have to read this book to start exp. Idebtify which actipns in game give exp to that skill and for every action you gain .1 of that skill. It will tale massive amount of time. Now just to identify those skills - what they give. And what actions progress each skill  

I like this idea, sort of like a combination between magazines and skill books. I wonder if perhaps there could be certain things that inspire your character's thinking. Seeing certain things in game perhaps have a chance of them thinking of such new ideas and skills. Perhaps some of these could be easter eggs.

1 1