Can anyone explain the new player weight system?

Zeral

Been playing Zomboid for a long time, the old player weight system made sense. The new one does not...

Now no matter what I do my player weight skyrockets. I eat 1 apple and 1 banana a day while chopping down wood and running around looting and I still have 2 arrows up and gain 1 weight per day!

I first noticed it in IWBUMS, thought it was a bug, switched to public build. Same thing... Am I missing something?!

13 hours ago, Zeral said:

Been playing Zomboid for a long time, the old player weight system made sense. The new one does not...

Now no matter what I do my player weight skyrockets. I eat 1 apple and 1 banana a day while chopping down wood and running around looting and I still have 2 arrows up and gain 1 weight per day!

I first noticed it in IWBUMS, thought it was a bug, switched to public build. Same thing... Am I missing something?!

This should not be happening... Have you got any mods? Does this happen in SP or MP? 

No mods and it is in SP.

Its weird, I pick the underweight perk for some extra points, by day 4 I already gained enough weight for it to be removed.

In the pic I attached, I started as underweight, with a weight of 70, 4 days later I had gained 10.

20190114224329_1.jpg

14 hours ago, Zeral said:

No mods and it is in SP.

Its weird, I pick the underweight perk for some extra points, by day 4 I already gained enough weight for it to be removed.

In the pic I attached, I started as underweight, with a weight of 70, 4 days later I had gained 10.

Hmm, I've not seen weight changes happen so fast in the first days of a game, tbh.

Have been eating high-calorie / low hunger-reducing foods a lot? Things like peanut butter, pizza, ice cream? 

Ate some 2-3 Ice-cream buckets the first 2 days but after that only fruit or fruit salad. (scored big on fresh fruit and want to eat it all before it spoil). But fruit should not be this bad right?

Ate a whole watermelon, but did not think it would add that much weight.

The thing is, even if I starve myself, waiting to be hungry enough to get reduced strength and healing, then just eat enough fruit to remove hunger but not enough to get a buff, I still have 2 arrows up on weight gain.

4 hours ago, Zeral said:

Ate some 2-3 Ice-cream buckets the first 2 days but after that only fruit or fruit salad. (scored big on fresh fruit and want to eat it all before it spoil). But fruit should not be this bad right?

Ate a whole watermelon, but did not think it would add that much weight.

The thing is, even if I starve myself, waiting to be hungry enough to get reduced strength and healing, then just eat enough fruit to remove hunger but not enough to get a buff, I still have 2 arrows up on weight gain.

What do you know: eating a bucket of Ice cream does make your weight arrows go up pretty much instantly! No wonder your char gained weight so fast.

But for reference: Ice cream has crazy amounts of calories per bucket, about 1700 and Watermelon about 1400. Eat a number of these every day and you'll gain weight like there is no tomorrow! To get more insight into this Mechanic, play a game with Nutritionist trait.

Thing number two: it'll take some time for this created trend to stop. It won't happen after you've eaten, or skipped a meal, but it'll settle over a couple of days. So keep up salad eating!

Ok I will try that, I used to be able to get away with eating a bucket of ice cream and tons of chips just to try to gain weight, not used to gain it this fast! Used to take close to 2 weeks of binge eating to remove underweight! :P

On 1/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, Zeral said:

Ok I will try that, I used to be able to get away with eating a bucket of ice cream and tons of chips just to try to gain weight, not used to gain it this fast! Used to take close to 2 weeks of binge eating to remove underweight! :P

Specific food adds a specific amount of caloriers aswell as has a list of substances such as carbs that act as modifiers for the weight gain.
But most of it boils down to calories - if you have them HIGHER than a certain amount ( there's a formula on wiki ), your weight starts to slowly go up and doesn't stop unless those calories are burned back to the neutral value.
1500 is a lot. I believe that calorie breakpoint is about 2-3-4k depending on the weight, so you might've just gained weight due to those ice cream buckets and a watermelon.

Tips - vegetables tend to have little calorie, such as potatos and cabbages. Go vegan and only eat when you're Hungry ( Not Peckish ), and you'll be alright.

If you are looking for low calorie food, here are some comparisons:

(calories | hunger change | calories per hunger change)

ice cream 1680  30  56

cheese  113  15  7.53

cabbage  178  25  7.12

apple  95 15  6.33

banana 105  17  6.18

potato  70  18  3.89

berries 23  10  2.3

broccoli  11  9  1.22

The hunger change determines how full your stomach is. If your stomach is empty you get hungry and get negative moodles, regardless of how much calories you ingested.

The calorie content of food determines how much energy you can get out of it. If you burn more calories than you ingest, you loose weight.

So the best food to loose weight or to stop gaining weight would actually be broccoli. It has the lowest calorie per hunger rate.

If you want to loose weight, just starve yourself until you get to the critical damage state, then eat so you get the very hungry moodle and sleep, your character will heal up and you can do the same thing again :)

this is what I Always do, works great!

• 2 weeks later...

This new weight system takes time. Just keep eatong veg and fruits for few weeks and it will go down. Try to be peckosh all the time ( eat half or 1/4) i went down from 90 to 80 in about two weeks. Avoid ready food and don't get bouns from food and you will be fine. Ah and don't break leg - you will need healing boost. I gor +15 and it is not fixed yer lol  

7 minutes ago, LeoIvanov said:

The real question is: Do all these advices on weight loss also apply to real life, and did I just learn a lot of valuable real life lessons out of playing a zombie game?

hahahah. in general the answer is - yes they are.

If you eat less calories then you need during the day you loose fat (1kg of FAT is around 10 000 calories).

In general (and it is different to many people because of different eating habits etc) you need around 2k calories a day - if you eat less (not much less, like 1700) you will lose fat - it just take time. Be careful though because if you eat much less then 2k your metabolism will slow down - you don't want that.

You don't have to keep control every single day - more like weekly.

In game it happens incredibly fast - i think it is to get and idea how it would be and fit "quick dying character" trend - in my humble opinion it might need to be slow down a bit so it will have less impact from day to day but very important overall.

ok i have some theory about this food system - please correct me if i'm wrong)

(all calculations are approximate presentation of an idea not actual values)

So i started to think that your stomach in game is (lets say) 100 points - it is like an container.

every hour you get 1 point out of it - every point has also 2nd value "calories".

So we eat (in that order):

- cabbage (15 point) - every point has 10 calories

- chips (15 point) - every point has 100 calories

- steak (20 point) - every point has 50 calories

So our stomach get - 15 point plus 15 plus 20 -and it start to digest it.

first 15 hours is cabbage so it is arrow down cause 10 calories is not enough

2nd 15 hours is two arrows up cause 100 calories is way too much (and it looks like 1kg of fat is about 1000 calories - don't quote me on that)

3rd 20 hours is one arrow up cause is bit too much

No my questions are:

0.1 - is this make sense at all? lol

1. Is this how mechanic works?

2. if so how many calories is 1kg of fat in game?

3. how many calories is "standard" for character - so he will not gain or loos any fat

I am new to this forums so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

Do devolepers ever comment on posts here? Or some moderator that has more contact with them or better understanding of the game?

Or are there some more detiled build notes that explain things better? If yes please point me in that direction :)

15 hours ago, LegionDiablo said:

Are calories only thing that is important or do proteins, fat and carbs count as well?

As far as I know only calories matter atm, the rest might be implemented later I guess.

The devs are fairly active on these forums, apparently they don't feel like explaining the "under the hood" stuff about this one :)

Maybe try checking out the wiki if you want some more info https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Nutrition

25 minutes ago, crossed said:

The devs are fairly active on these forums

I don't think so.
I think they should be more active in bugs and suggestions forums at least.

Something like "it's good idea, we will implement it" or "done" or "pending" would be nice.

Personally I would like to hear them in mods forum. I have about 10 questions without answer. And that's why I'm about to lose interest in the mods development.

13 hours ago, Maris said:

I don't think so.
I think they should be more active in bugs and suggestions forums at least.

Something like "it's good idea, we will implement it" or "done" or "pending" would be nice.

Personally I would like to hear them in mods forum. I have about 10 questions without answer. And that's why I'm about to lose interest in the mods development.

At the moment majority of the team are busy with the anims build and all kinds of associated implementation issues. This "all hands on deck" period may feel like we're not here or that players are being neglected but it's not true.  We're still checking forums, and reddit and steam; and answer and help wherever possible, and continue adding bugs to the (huge) collection; but..resources are limited and some things have to be prioritized over others.  

Please, stay patient with us :) 

P.S. just as a reminder, things like "it's an issue, I'll report it" and such have been swapped for a "piece of cake" as a way to prevent spamming the forum with messages like that and at the same time to acknowledge the issue with the player. 

Archived