Generators and fumes in open garages?

Pop

Hey, so as the thread title suggests.

I'd like to know wether a generator placed inside an open walled garage or room, would make the room dangerous to be in because of the fumes?

If not, then if I have a garage that's open to the outside, but connected to a house, will it make the house fill up with fumes or not?

I'll attach a screenshot here, where the red dot would mark a generator placement. Would it be possible to build like this?

Happy Holidays!

Generator question.png

2 hours ago, Axezombie said:

Yes it will, if the game thinks it's inside then you'll suffocate

As do generator manufacturers, in real life. They recommend not placing and running a generator in garages with the door open, under eves near a housr, or even on roofed porches.

How likely it is to have negative effects, I do not know. 

2 hours ago, Axezombie said:

Yes it will, if the game thinks it's inside then you'll suffocate

I guess I'll have to do some testing.  The garage itself does have a room, and a room definition.

But perhaps if I remove the definition and build the walls with layers instead, that could work.

Would you happen to know how far away it's possible to place a generator whilst still having it connect to a building?

I figured I'd either have it inside the garage, because of the availability of a gate there, or on the porch in a worst case scenario.

If neither of those works, and obviously I'd like to have a roof covering the generator.  Would the solution I wrote to Axezombie above work?

If not, how far away could I build a roofed structure, whilst still being in range, and making sure I can connect and supply electricity to a building?

I've ran and have been around generators on a few occasions due to hurricanes. Should you put it anywhere considered indoors? No, definitely not. But there was a period where we had to run it in an open garage for a while. Do I think it was dangerous in the very short term as in a minute or two to check on or to refill it? No, not really. But I wouldn't hang around it a second longer than I had to either just to be safe. That and they are loud AF so they are just unpleasant to be around regardless.

In game, unfortunately generators seem to start damaging you instantly regardless of how good the ventilation is if it considers it indoors. But I guess it balances out because in reality hooking a generator up directly to a building so you can use the outlets and such like in Project Zomboid is super dangerous without a power switch installed into the house. It can start a fire, damage the generator and sensitive electronics, and most of all easily has the potential to cause lethal electrocutions to not only you - but also any technicians working in the area. Don't ever be that guy that hot wires it into your house. If you don't have a professionally installed switch, just use the designated outlets on the generator itself and keep track of your appliance draw.

As for that position in the picture, if you put it ground level like that you'll probably just attract zombies. If I can, I usually go for the center most part of a roof of the building I'm setting up in. Usually works out alright if the building is decently sized. 

10 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

I have tried to make it seem plausible, by adding a wall ventilation on the side of the garage, beside having the open wall there.

The whole house will belong to a gated off farm area, prebuilt as a mod, so I'd rather not have a generator inside the house.

Still though, if I make the garage from tiles and remove the room def, would that do the trick? (Meaning same room but no room definition.)

Can it be placed on the porch or will that create toxic fumes that enter the house? (Only the roof over the porch have the empty outside roof on level 2.)

If not, how far range does the generator have if I place it under pillars and a roof close to the house? (Like how many tiles away from the house for connection to work.)

17 minutes ago, Pop said:

I have tried to make it seem plausible, by adding a wall ventilation on the side of the garage, beside having the open wall there.

The whole house will belong to a gated off farm area, prebuilt as a mod, so I'd rather not have a generator inside the house.

Still though, if I make the garage from tiles and remove the room def, would that do the trick? (Meaning same room but no room definition.)

Can it be placed on the porch or will that create toxic fumes that enter the house? (Only the roof over the porch have the empty outside roof on level 2.)

If not, how far range does the generator have if I place it under pillars and a roof close to the house? (Like how many tiles away from the house for connection to work.)

I tried to do the same, I built a small shack on the roof of a building with several windows and a door going to it, but even with all the open windows it didn't make any difference. I meant to try tearing down the door and having it as an open space and see if that removed whatever flagged it as indoor, but I never got around to it. 

As for removing the room def, I have no idea. I've never looked at the editor. Sounds like it may work.

I asked the question about generator range myself awhile back, and user ditoseadio replied with "21 tiles to the north, south, east and west. In a circular range."\

I also have a question if anyone knows the answer, do walls reduce how far sound travels in game? If so does anyone know by how much? What if it's just a fence not not a constructed room?

2 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

I tried to do the same, I built a small shack on the roof of a building with several windows and a door going to it, but even with all the open windows it didn't make any difference. I meant to try tearing down the door and having it as an open space and see if that removed whatever flagged it as indoor, but I never got around to it.  

As for removing the room def, I have no idea. I've never looked at the editor. Sounds like it may work.

I asked the question about generator range myself awhile back, and user ditoseadio replied with "21 tiles to the north, south, east and west. In a circular range."

I belive the problem comes with the room definition itself. When you enclose a space it's considered a room.

However, rooms can be built without definitions if you place tiles separately. It's just a bit tedious, but I'd do that if that would make it work.

Greatly appreciate the information about tile distance, that will come in handy! Happy Holidays!

On 12/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, Pop said:

I belive the problem comes with the room definition itself. When you enclose a space it's considered a room.

However, rooms can be built without definitions if you place tiles separately. It's just a bit tedious, but I'd do that if that would make it work.

Greatly appreciate the information about tile distance, that will come in handy! Happy Holidays!

If still relevant - vertical distance is about 2 floors excluding one with the geni, and the condition of fumes poisoning you is the tile DIRECTLY above the generator being obtructed. So i believe a hole in the celling that goes to the sky will do the trick.
Personal tip - never put it at ground level. Zombies will break your shit down and will swarm the generator. Keep also in mind that they will go below it too, so make some preparations for the worst.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:07 AM, SDFR said:

If still relevant - vertical distance is about 2 floors excluding one with the geni, and the condition of fumes poisoning you is the tile DIRECTLY above the generator being obtructed. So i believe a hole in the celling that goes to the sky will do the trick.
Personal tip - never put it at ground level. Zombies will break your shit down and will swarm the generator. Keep also in mind that they will go below it too, so make some preparations for the worst. 

Thanks for the answer! Knowing the vertical distance is also very helpful. I played around with the Idea to have an additional chimney for this building, but I'd have to make some custom fireplace or wall to have it look good, and besides, the house already has a chimney. Still, good idea for another place.

Well I suppose I got sidetracked anyways, I worked on a new generator style, a type that's used to power small emergency clinic or the like. I don't know scripting though so the whole project is on ice for the time being. Trying to make one of those electric backup generators, so it won't spew out the fumes. The tile itself is done but the script will have to wait, unsure how to balance is at the moment anyways.

I'll add a picture when I've gotten further in the building process, the zombies breaking stuff, because of the generator,  won't really be a big problem for where the place is going to be located. It's going to be a quite large farmlands place with tall fencing all around it and gated entrances. Quite a ways way off from the main urban hubs as well.

14 hours ago, Pop said:

I'll add a picture when I've gotten further in the building process, the zombies breaking stuff, because of the generator,  won't really be a big problem for where the place is going to be located. It's going to be a quite large farmlands place with tall fencing all around it and gated entrances. Quite a ways way off from the main urban hubs as well.

If it has even a small town nearby - meta events might collect a group or two nearby, or even just stray zombies, and then geni will draw those in.
Aswell as a little mechanic that migrates zombies to empty cells of the map over time - both used to populate it a bit.

Sooo you'd still have to do perimeter check if the fencing is made by your carpentry\metalwork. I guess you could make a proper wall with 2 wall strips on each side of the tile and a walkway with a small fence above to prevent you from falling.

8 hours ago, SDFR said:

If it has even a small town nearby - meta events might collect a group or two nearby, or even just stray zombies, and then geni will draw those in.
Aswell as a little mechanic that migrates zombies to empty cells of the map over time - both used to populate it a bit.

Sooo you'd still have to do perimeter check if the fencing is made by your carpentry\metalwork. I guess you could make a proper wall with 2 wall strips on each side of the tile and a walkway with a small fence above to prevent you from falling.

Well the fencing will be pre-built on to the map itself, so I believe it will be neigh impossible to break, if not I'll just mod that in I suppose. The entrance gate doors could be broken, but there will be a tower and some lookouts also. The whole area is pre-built for mostly roleplay purposes, supposed to be almost a safe-haven of sorts. It's a 5 minute drive from the towns in the forest, I suppose it should be quite serene when it's done.

Preview3.png

On 1/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Pop said:

Well the fencing will be pre-built on to the map itself, so I believe it will be neigh impossible to break, if not I'll just mod that in I suppose.

Eh, that's a bit lame. No collective effort to keep the wall secure and to keep a stockpile of wood\a designated carpenter.
You're missing out on the fun.

22 hours ago, SDFR said:

Eh, that's a bit lame. No collective effort to keep the wall secure and to keep a stockpile of wood\a designated carpenter.
You're missing out on the fun.

Mostly play splitscreen with the family, so not needing to have a designated  carpenter is actually quite nice.

Archived