The kids are all alright!

Aricane

Video games should be, maybe even NEED to be, held to a higher standard. Too many misinformed parents and asshole politicians looking for a quick way to earn cheap votes. Last thing we need is yet more people pointing at video games and screaming "murder simulator". Children need to stay out of PZ. Period.

Everyone knows television doesn't cause violence. That's why the Walking Dead can get away with undead children or the possible death of children. But people are still mistrusting of video games, even when they have no need to be.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find it at all controversial though. People die all the time, age is not exactly a deciding factor.

Oh and there was this movie... Hunger Games oh yes. I can't even recall one person going: "OMG Kids.". But perhaps Europe and America is different. I personally would like to see it added as an option. I know it is already denied but that is my opinion.

Publicity just for the sake of publicity? No.

Adding it for character arcs, as pivotal story pieces and as heart-breaking moments. Yes.

Video games should be, maybe even NEED to be, held to a higher standard. Too many misinformed parents and asshole politicians looking for a quick way to earn cheap votes. Last thing we need is yet more people pointing at video games and screaming "murder simulator". Children need to stay out of PZ. Period.

Everyone knows television doesn't cause violence. That's why the Walking Dead can get away with undead children or the possible death of children. But people are still mistrusting of video games, even when they have no need to be.

I find this funny because from my viewpoint this will never change without the gaming industry breaking the barriers. People are shocked by what they are not used to. Things will change as generations shift.

I don't find it at all controversial though. People die all the time, age is not exactly a deciding factor.

Oh and there was this movie... Hunger Games oh yes. I can't even recall one person going: "OMG Kids.". But perhaps Europe and America is different. I personally would like to see it added as an option. I know it is already denied but that is my opinion.

Publicity just for the sake of publicity? No.

Adding it for character arcs, as pivotal story pieces and as heart-breaking moments. Yes.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter whether you find it controversial. It has been over the years and will likely continue to be.

Hunger Games was in fact a controversial book when it first came about and I still know people who won't read it for that very reason.

Like I said, I don't disagree that it could potentially add it to gameplay, but even for a mod I'd rather not see it just because I don't want people recording videos of players killing children, and then be a misrepresentation of the game. At the very least should be a disclaimer.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter whether you find it controversial. It has been over the years and will likely continue to be.

Hunger Games was in fact a controversial book when it first came about and I still know people who won't read it for that very reason.

Like I said, I don't disagree that it could potentially add it to gameplay, but even for a mod I'd rather not see it just because I don't want people recording videos of players killing children, and then be a misrepresentation of the game. At the very least should be a disclaimer.

And besides, the developers have more important stuffs to improve in the game like adding multiplayer, fixing bugs (teleporting crops, invisible walls - which is very annoying) rather than to waste their time on that kind of suggestions

Imagine a Michael Jackson Zombiepocalypse Music Video!!. Mike going going Tybo on them Son breaches.

there is. its called Thriller. its the most amazing zombie apoc. music video ever.

Also, more on "topic" - Zomboid does not need children yet. If/when a modder adds NPC interaction to the point of breeding wtith NPCs a la "sims" style, pregnancy, and raising a child (heh, try to get an 18yr playtime to raise em?), then kid zombies would be an immersive addition. As it is they would just seem to be pandering to shock advertising, and not really necessary for "realism".  

and (wow, sorry for wall of txt)- I dont think its that Americans really get offended easily as a whole, we just REALLY like to pass laws and regulations on everything. Kinda each politicians grab to jump on a fake scandal (like Video game violence), and get some air-time. TV and print media has been regulated and divided/ age restricted to an almost fractal point, so Video games are the "undiscovered country" of regulations and laws.

The Half Life 2 mod "no more room in hell" which is greenlit on steam i may add, has child zombies in it. ^^

^This. No more room in hell did in fact have children zombies in it. No one seemed to really care about that. The devs already said they wouldn't add children in though so, I guess all of people who want children in game will just have to wait on a modder.

The Half Life 2 mod "no more room in hell" which is greenlit on steam i may add, has child zombies in it. ^^

Yes but, it is afterall a mod.

Yes but, it is afterall a mod.

Yes but greenlit, without any problems, even though its first person and has you chopping up and shooting zombie children (tis also quite a popular mod ^^).
Just trying to point out having children in a zombie game isn't going to have it "shunned by many, many people" as you stated earlier.

Yes but greenlit, without any problems, even though its first person and has you chopping up and shooting zombie children (tis also quite a popular mod ^^).
Just trying to point out having children in a zombie game isn't going to have it "shunned by many, many people" as you stated earlier.

Meh, you don't get it, not worth discussing with you.

Sorry, mate

I noticed there is no kids in the game, but - there is an elementry school. There's no doubt that kids are behind the whole apocalypse. The question is, where the heck are they holding out? And why didn't they take all the chokolade and lollipops with them.

IMple the kids ran to perdido beach and koats academy as well as the surrounding area and set up an oval inviddible wall to protect them from the flesh-hungry living and zombies, during this process they blew up a nuclear powerplant as a comet had collided with it and them immediately built over it before realizing the comet and radiation gave them all soopah powaahhhz which meant that they all developed an immunity to the zambie plague however they couldn't create a vaccine because they are all kids.

True story.

Better Example is Dead Space. Original sold 2 million copies, and it has you killing INFANT zombies.

Dead Space 2 has you able to curb stomp kindergarten-age zombies, and it shipped 2 million in the first WEEK of release.

Trust me, that kind of publicity sells a game FAST.

Dead space sold fast because of all of the gruesome and creative ways you could die.

Not the infants, also for the record that was dead space 2. Not one. Two.

I just don't see why it's a big deal.     Some developers enjoy using very edgy material,  others won't.   

The first Witcher included "cards" of naked women that you unlocked after sleeping with them.    Then they cleaned it up for Witcher 2's wider (console) audience.    I thought the feature was creepy but I'm sure someone liked it.

Dead space sold fast because of all of the gruesome and creative ways you could die.

The original Dead Space had infants in it. They were called Lurkers, I believe? Look it up.

I don't he was implying it sold 2 million copies, just because of the baby zombie killings. ;)

Regardless... if it's not something the devs want to do, and it's on the list of "confirmed no's" I'm not sure what you guys think you have to gain from arguing for it in the vanilla game continuously. Project Zomboid can also appeal to a slightly younger audience than Dead Space did (I know lots of people who let their kids watch PZ because it's just not that over-the-top nasty that games like Dead Space are; PZ is much darker, but kids don't get that).

In addition, PZ is an indie game and they're under tremendous scrutiny right now. It is the time of indie games, and with that always comes a certain pressure to perform.

I do get the need for some restrictions for vanilla but... I dunno... hitting sprites that look like people with an axe and seeing eyeballs flying around is kinda M+ to me. I don't think it really makes to much of a difference but that's just me :)

False.

Save for an incredibly narrow margin of players like yourself, most people will shun the game for being violent regardless of children being included or not. The amount of increased sales statistically would be more valuable from free publicity compared to the relatively few number who would shun the game, most of which would shun it regardless.

That just begs the question. Is it better to make a game that you want to make and it be a financial flop, or is it better to pander to the lowest common denominator for financial gain? It just depends on who you are and what kind of things you're looking for in life. The devs have come out and said they don't want children in their game. That is their opinion and it is their decision to make. Not ours.