Can anyone tell me how far from stressful stimuli is far enough for peace mind?

eldergamer

I have both a question and a suggestion.

Question: Can anyone tell me how many tiles/squares away from stressful stimuli I need to be in order to get a little peace of mind?

Suggestion:

(Short rant about stress in this game)

My character is stressed most the time. Unrealistically stressed in my opinion. Let's face it, if you're suddenly in danger in real life yes it's stressful... but there's a difference in newbie caught off guard stress and being experienced, with the right tools, and a plan knowingly heading into danger stress. For example when I was running without food, water, tools, and weapons at the beginning of the game my character was stressed. Hell, I was stressed along with my character in such a precarious vulnerable state. I'd like to point out though, that didn't last for me as the player but it did for my character. As my character found supplies and gained experience facing zombies the stress on them should have been reduced. Even when they were well armed, well supplied, and experienced at killing Z's my character was just as panicked and stressed with the 20th kill as they were with the first. This just isn't realistic.

In a normal person at this competency level stress should be well managed. You know both what to expect and what's expected of you when facing Z's. To quote the Ghost Busters " We had the tools, we had the talent!"

Yet with dozens of kills under their belt on a simple well planned scavenging mission my character was just as panicked at the sight of a zombie and heavily stressed at prolonged proximity to zombies. This should not be so. My character had the skills, tools, and experience necessary for such a journey. Their panic and stress should have been minimal based on there accumulated experience.

I'm going to suggest that as our characters gain experience that experience should directly effect both panic and stress moodles. You could base it off kills. The more zombies dispatched by the character the less their presence panics and stresses the character. Regardless of whether the experience has made them more competent or just jaded the panic and stress of confronting your 50th kill should not be the same as the first in intensity or duration.

Eldergamer

7 hours ago, nickodemos said:

Not sure if this is still true or how it works but I did ask this a few years back. It is a small read.

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17723-desensitized/&tab=comments#comment-218911 Desensitized - PZ Suggestions - The Indie Stone Forums

Thanks for the response, I read it. Interesting... I'd like to find these internal setting and tune them.

Until I can locate those settings I'd still like to find out how many tiles/squares is far enough from panic and stress to grant my character some peace.

Eldergamer

On 12/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Pretty much just vision range.

You'll notice you generally don't panic unless you actually see the zombies. Things like knockback create more panic, because that's weird.

Thank you, I've been doing some vertical testing and found that about 4 stories up will keep your character from being on edge if Z's are directly bellow breaking windows and knocking down doors. Also 4 stories should equal about 12 squares/tiles. Just FYI

Eldergamer

Archived