Megatest VIII: We Need YOU! [COMPLETE]

Rathlord

Hey guys- we've got another multiplayer madness megatest coming up for anyone who'd like to participate! The Spiffospace server is running a brand new IWBUMS build, featuring some exciting new multiplayer zombie performance improvements! We're trying to test out multiplayer stability with this new system, so having as many people on as possible would be great!

All we need is for you to be running around on the server for an hour or so and having fun!

Event begins at roughly 5 PM on December 18th!

The main testing point is how zombie movement looks on the server, especially zombies close to you. Zombies farther away may not be as consistent, but we're hoping the closest zombies to you should be more consistent now.

KEY GIVEAWAY IS FINISHED!

During the event we will check all players active on the server and those will be given codes. You'll want to post in this thread or message Rathlord on Discord to claim your code if you are online for the giveaway!

SERVER DETAILS:

*Join the IWBUMS testing branch of the game. If you don't know how, follow the instructions here.

*Join the official Spiffospace Canada server through the game's server listing.

IMPORTANT INFO WE NEED:

• Please report any buginess, crashes, etc that you find here in this thread. This test is to check on multiplayer stability and general playability of the build. We'd really like to hear how consistent zombie behavior is, especially those closest to you.

Megatest.png

Things to look out for:

1) Zombies in the distance will probably be more 'laggy' by default, however this is intentional to vastly reduce the server load.

2) The nearest zombies to you, any within any range of doing any damage to you soon, should be much much smoother, even when lots of players are connected.

3) We're especially interested if you feel any general server lag outside zombies, or whether this work has improved the stability of the server.

4) We can tweak the default settings if people find the defaults unplayable or distracting, but generally the more conservative we can be with distant zombies without it making for a poor experience, the better.

I had more lag related to other players around, their cars teleporting, but probably because we were in Muldraugh's main avenue with thousands of zombies around. Spiffospace was basically unplayable for me in previous vehicle tests but today I could actually play and drive around, even in the middle of the largest horde I've seen in this game, so I feel this is a huge improvement.

That being said it was common to see zombies nearby that didn't seem to get updated as they should or simply ignored me when they probably shouldn't. It is easy to notice the update cycles in the middle of a horde, but so many of the zombies in close range of my car seemed to update in the same cycles as those far away.

I also noticed that nearby zombies would teleport around (seemed like if there was more than 10 zombies on screen is when it happened). 

I've always had random zombies ignore me especially when there's a horde, but it seemed especially exaggerated today - at one point I was near the gas station in Muldruagh and there was a ton of zombies there, so  I was going to try to lead them away, but half of them just stood staring at the ground while the other half went after me.  (maybe due to actual lag, not sure) 

47 minutes ago, Soul Filcher said:

That being said it was common to see zombies nearby that didn't seem to get updated as they should or simply ignored me when they probably shouldn't. It is easy to notice the update cycles in the middle of a horde, but so many of the zombies in close range of my car seemed to update in the same cycles as those far away.

I second this, with a huge horde around the closer zombies seemed to have the same laggy movement as the ones farther ones.

And I also noticed that sometimes zombies seemed very unresponsive, I could walk right next to them and they wouldn't react,  thought it was some server setting to make them less aggressive or something..

Though this was my first time playing PZ online so I don't have any point of reference.

when i was at the mall there was a MASSIVE horde right outside the walls and i was trying to fight the zombies inside, but they were teleporting and being very delayed in actions. maybe it was trying to smooth out the horde zombies outside through the wall? idk

Apart from usual zeds not paying attention to me for some time I can say that the lag and teleports were minimal compared to another server I'm playing on.

Can't say much about farther zeds though: it was a bit dark in there and I did not visit malls much, only run through the center of Muldraugh.

Vehicles were also not that laggy. Maybe I had better ping than others so I cannot confirm extreme lags.

Edited by rez
Location is already under the avatar it seems.

I'm i'm too noob to say much, but i found a car, and before i became zombified i managed to find a horde of crawlers. didn't notice any lag with them, and in the car i found i didn't notice any rubber-banding. I'm in Ohio, USA though so maybe i'm just close enough to the server not to have issues like that.

I played for a little while. Wound up on the main road from Murldraugh to West Point. For some reason or another as the corpses under my vehicle numbered more and more, my game started bugging out really hardcore. My vehicle fell through a line of cones and then preceded to fall through space and time. I backed out after that.

I unfortunately missed the test, since I feel asleep today, but curious how it went – if the server still will be there with the new zombie optimization options (is it?), I might try to test it without creating server myself!

EDIT: Seems I can't connect, so unless I'm doing something wrong, seems the server's down now?

EDIT2: Never mind, seems I have messed something in password and forgot the original one, but after I created Faalagorn2 account, it seemed to work. Since I'm rarely joining servers, just hosting my private one with friends, guess if I forget the password then I can't use that account unless server owner deletes entry for my name or wipes the server?

Edited by Faalagorn
EDIT2

2 hours ago, HestrimChaosbrewer said:

I played for a little while. Wound up on the main road from Murldraugh to West Point. For some reason or another as the corpses under my vehicle numbered more and more, my game started bugging out really hardcore. My vehicle fell through a line of cones and then preceded to fall through space and time. I backed out after that.

What was your name on the server and when were you connected if you don't mind me asking?

6 minutes ago, Rathlord said:

What was your name on the server and when were you connected if you don't mind me asking?

It was Faalagorn, but currently I'm playing as Faalagorn2. I don't know whether I had an old character on that server, since last time I played was back in... August I think? So it must have created an empty character by now I guess. I joined the around the time of my first post in this thread, maybe a few mins less.

I also see the respawning items in safehouse "bug" is still there, to the point I kinda hope it's done on purpose for testing :P.

Overall things seemed to be a lot smoother than usual. Not as smooth as my solo experience and not as smooth as playing on a server with only one other person, but a lot smoother than my experiences with that many other players in the game. Walking around things were fine for the most part, aside from some strange behavior from some of the zombies. I'm not sure how to describe some of the behavior. I wish I'd been recording this so I could show it to others as I don't know quite how to explain it. There were times I probably should have been bitten, but wasn't. I wasn't always sure the zombies were where the game said they were.

Driving around I experienced some rubber banding at times, and instances where the game just wanted to hold me in place and not let the car move anywhere. This wasn't always around the huge hordes of zombies either. I've experienced this at times with just one or two other players on other servers and to a greater degree, so this was actually an improvement.

Overall it was a smoother experience, though I find myself wishing it could be as smooth as the solo player experience. It was a fun test and I enjoyed the little things the admins were tossing at everyone, like the Bloodmoon. When they really started getting crazy with the lighting and weather I made sure to jump in my car and take me and my teammate to safety, at least after I remembered to pick up my teammate. You guys made a fun test even more enjoyable so thanks for that. :grin:

Also, I would like to thank the admin who dropped off a nice sports car out back of the mechanics shop in Muldraugh. I was having the hardest time finding any cars with gas in the tank I could siphon for the one car with keys that I found before the test started.

• nasKo unpinned this topic