Build 40 Nightime Feedback ( Stary Sky and Moon )

ZombieHunter

Anyone who has ever lived in a Rural area knows the night is not as pitch black as the game makes it out to be.

Stars and Moon light make things semi-visible.

The current night system is more representative of forests and not urban areas. Where light is scarce and doesn't filter through the tree tops.

Yeah, a lot of games don't pull night time off very well when they opt for a "realistic" approach. It's always way too dark.

I grew up rural, and the house was in a forested area. As kids, we used to go outside at night and play laser tag so long as it wasn't cloudy. If the sky was clear, it was doable. If there was a high full moon it was much better. Even in the woods it was fine without any artificial lighting so long as you were careful, and it helped to know the area. You just had to go outside and wait around for about 5-10 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Depending on the situation, a flashlight could actually be a worse idea than just going at it natural. If the ground is very rough or you are looking for a small object, sure you may want a light. But any time you turn on a light in the dark you mess up your night vision while making yourself very visible to any onlookers, while you penalize yourself by being unable to see much beyond the area illuminated by the light. When you turn off the light, you then have to wait a few minutes for your eyes to readjust. 

You can see farther at night if you are in an area with no artificial lighting and only naturally light by the stars and the moon, than an area like a sidewalk with streetlights. The artificial lights of course can help you see the area they illuminate better, but they make distant objects and terrain outside of their light more difficult to discern than when everything is at the same light level with your eyes fully adjusted for the dark.

In WW2, pilots flew and fought in the night without the help of night vision optics and so forth, weather permitting. Human low light vision actually isn't that terrible on the whole, there are just some animals that have far superior low light vision that make us think ours is so bad.

In war, it was also, common to bungle night raids without the moon present because the sky alone often didn't provide enough illumination to prevent people from getting lost.

So ... No, I don't really think that just because a pilot can fly by instruments at nighyor that you could often play at night that all nights are bright enough to see easily and clearly. most games that I play, let you defeat it simply by turning up the brightness on your or changing the options, making night itself kind of pointless in them.

Not trying to be argumentative, since I have no real experience with this. I'm night blind, so every night is basically PZ's darkest night for me. All I have to go on is ancedotes of other people's experiences, what I've read in books, or I've seen on TV. And that's that the amount of light at night varies considerably, just as people's capability to perceive it does.

I also growed up in a rural area and for the most nights it really was pitch black. I'm really digging the new dark nights in PZ, they finally give flashlights a purpose and make the nights a real danger (as the would be if the apocalypse is upon us).

My only hope is that they bump the headlights of cars a bit and give is different kinds of flashlights.

6 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

In war, it was also, common to bungle night raids without the moon present because the sky alone often didn't provide enough illumination to prevent people from getting lost.

So ... No, I don't really think that just because a pilot can fly by instruments at nighyor that you could haveten play at night that all nights are bright enough to see easily and clearly. most games that I play, let you defeat it simply by turning up the brightness on your or changing the options, making night itself kind of pointless in them.

Not trying to be argumentative, since I have no real experience with this. I'm night blind, so every night is basically PZ's darkest night for me. All I have to go on is ancedotes of other people's experiences, what I've read in books, or I've seen on TV. And that's that the amount of light at night varies considerably, just as people's capability to perceive it does.

Yeah it wasn't ideal, but pilots *could* shoot down enemy planes night flying. 

I'm sure it was far more difficult and depending on conditions but it happened.

Hopefully the night vision perk helps in PZ? Does the night time light level change with simulated moonlight and cloud cover?

4 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

Hopefully the night vision perk helps in PZ? Does the night time light level change with simulated moonlight and cloud cover?

Yes, if you get a dark night like this, the illumination should change as the clouds move.

So there are several factors at play: ambient light level (modified by traits and sandbox options) + moon phase + cloudiness and position 

Archived