IWBUMS 40.41 (important info for server operators)

lemmy101

IWBUMS 40.41 released!

[NEW]

New zombie network transmission system.

Two circles with radiuses definable in server options:

ZombieUpdateRadiusHighPriority (default 25 tiles)  - zombies in this tile radius circle from a player will be transmitted to that player every frame, meaning their movement will be smooth and precise. ZombieUpdateMaxHighPrority (default 6) can be used to limit the amount of zombies in this circle (ordered by those closest to the player) that will receive these high frequency updates, so in the midst of the horde only the closest few will be precisely transmitted to clients (the most relevant zombies).

ZombieUpdateRadiusLowPriority  (default 45 tiles) - zombies in this tile radius circle will be updated to the player infrequently, enough to keep track of their approximate movement, but when low accuracy is needed since they are not close to a player. Uses the amount of seconds defined by ZombieUpdateDelta (default 0.5 seconds) to define how frequently the server will send these zombies. Lower ZombieUpdateDelta values will make them more precise at cost of server load and network traffic. Higher values result in less traffic but more obvious pausing, sliding and glitching.

Zombies outside the outer low priority radius will never be transmitted to the client, and will be invisible. Depending on the config and player's resolutions and zoom modes, this may cause zombies not to be visible at a distance with 4k res, or when right click scrolling the view, or when driving a car fast, but is potentially a sacrifice worth taking for a stable and performant server, and this effect can be reduced by expanding the outer radius to suit your own needs. We can look at adjusting the defaults further once we've seen what the server runners go with for their options, as it's hard for us to judge how far we could push it on a 60 player server, so our defaults start off relatively conservative.

Out of the box, with default settings, we expect the zombies to have a much lesser load on the server, especially with high player numbers. However players may notice some sluggishness of zombies at a distance, delays in changing direction due to sound, or sometimes small skips and teleports, though zombies close to a player that could risk their lives should not suffer this issue and so any zombie glitches and pauses should remain purely cosmetic. This can be tuned to your own preferences.

Depending on your expected server load, if you are running a coop server and want more zombie precision, you can increase the radiuses, ZombieUpdateMaxHighPrority zombies, and decrease the ZombieUpdateDelta. This will create more traffic and server CPU load, so is not advised for high population servers.

If you're running a high population server and are having issues with server performance, you can decrease these radiuses, decrease ZombieUpdateMaxHighPrority, or increase the ZombieUpdateDelta to reduce the amount of zombie network traffic and CPU load, which should reduce issues with black bordering and server stalls at the cost of zombie accuracy not close to a player.

[FIX]

Fixed errors with safehouses.

Jumped into SpiffoSpace and the first thing I noticed is that everything had been reset, aside from my character that is. Took some time to set up camp a bit but because I was doing it solo it took a while longer to get set up then when I had my teammates with me. So far I haven't noticed anything too different. I was the only one on at the time so that may have had a lot to do with it. I plan on going back later and seeing if I can get the attention of a large group of zombies and see how the game behaves. I found a car with keys but no fuel so I'll need to find a car with both, or at least with gas I can siphon before I can test more. I have some other things I need to do and they're a bit time sensitive so I had to stop so I can get to those things before it's too late. I'll get back to testing later.

Released. Forgot to increment version number so that'll update in the next 30 mins. We felt we had to revert the defaults of the new zombie system until the holidays are over since we need to get the safehouse fixes out to the public build,  butthere were a few potential issues. 

BALANCE

Reverted values of new Zombie Network system to default values, to allow server operators to experiment with them - without changing existing server operation.

FIXES
Removed ability to access items placed in a bag placed in a car (seat, trunk..) as it was causing issues in MP

What would help me out is if you specify the kinds of things you are looking for. As it is I am just playing my game as normal and game play is pretty good. In another thread I mentioned how the driving on the server is smoother than in sandbox.

Other than this I have not noticed much. Except I did die twice from scratches on Spiffo that almost never happened in SB.