Hi, Lay.

Layarion

Hi everyone, i just bough PZ on GOG.com, and i wanna say hi...hi

a) i don't usually post these things, but i guess i wouldn't mind finding other gog.com or steam users (when gog.com catches up to steam in a week or two?) to show me the ropes without spoiling too much. so far the game just seems to tell you "everything is pointless, stop playing now" what with it's 'this is how you died, we'll never put an ending in other than death" and so on. i bought it hoping to get some joy out of it though because it if was as um pointless as the game presents itself then why would anyone play it?
b) i'm mainly here because i can't yet post in the suggestions thread.

8 hours ago, Layarion said:

i bought it hoping to get some joy out of it though because it if was as um pointless as the game presents itself then why would anyone play it?

In both real life and PZ the only thing you know for sure is that you'll eventually die, so the game (like life itself) is what you make of it.

Sure, currently it's easy to get all nihilistic when you're the last person left alive amidst a zombie apocalypse, but npcs will drastically change that in the future.

There are a lot of things you can do and mechanics you can explore, and that keeps expanding periodically thanks to all the wonderful work modders do. I'm not going to get into details cause it would take me a long time, but you can start by checking out the guides and workshop on steam. There are plenty of guides and "tips and tricks" threads here too. Or you can just do the ol' trial and error approach, that's what I did 4 years ago and it was a great journey.

11 hours ago, Layarion said:

everything is pointless, stop playing now

Its the end of the known world of course your going to die. The question is how long will you survive and how will you do it. do you learn to fend for yourself and make a base in the wilderness making everything you need, do you fortify the hell out of a existing building and hope they don't get in or take to the roads never staying in one place longer than it takes to sleep of the last days killing and scavenging? This is the story of how you died but that story is far from over.

I agree that it's not pointless and there's a lot of things to do, but It would be nice if the game had a little more to it, maybe once we have NPCs. 

Like, you could keep to yourself and survive potentially indefinitely just like now, or you could help other people but that would attract attention and it would get harder and harder to survive.
So it would be more like "this is what you achieved before you died"

Like most things in life it is the little things that do you in. One thing that pisses me off more than anything is this game and how it beats that point in to me each and ever damn time I play. I never go out in a blaze of glory. It is always that blasted chomper behind the door that I got over confident about and never clear it properly. I will be three months in and my hubris gets the best of me and once again I do not do a proper clearance and low and behold there is ten zeds in the room.

I have close to 2000 hours playing over the years now, not including the time I spent on it before I bought the game. I play many other games but PZ keeps me playing while others just get forgotten.

The game is fun ( once you learn how to really play it), the game is tedious. I love playing the game but also hate the fact the I am playing at times. A NEW MOD CAME OUT! Crap its fun but makes the game to easy.

I hate this game, but it is the only one I keep coming back to. Hope that says something to you about it.

ya life is kinda like that except the game just does a good job of making you ask if you should even be playing it at all. so i refrained from buying the game for about 2 years after hearing about it for that reason. recently though it went on a small sale and i decided to get it on gog. it's occurred to me after buying it that it mustn't be as pointless as it portrays itself in the tutorial and so on because i don't think this game would get any attention from the gaming community if it did. so, i decided to give it a try to see what it's got.

I don't think that the tutorial is meant to show you that the game is pointless, but that the game is harsh. You aren't gonna live forever™, but one thing is dying of old age in your bed, another is going down screaming in the midst of a zombie horde, it's quite a difference :D

It's a survival game, the goal is to survive as long as possible, not to survive undefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

For me PZ belongs to that kind of games that are very complexe and difficult to figure out, like Don't Starve, the Civilisation, the Total War, The Bloodbowl or this F****** Binding of isaac which took my life over with PZ. The real pleasure come when you fully understand how everything works, every detail, every cog, and you fully play with it. You feel like a master, a god who knows everything and truly understand what and why he is doing.

We are simply human and never will be able to fully understand nature and life, but mastering theses games give us the impression that we have.

But you have to take the hard die&retry way.

An PZ is a really fun game to roleplay with excessive dramas.

Archived