Nightzedding

nasKo

sickboy-712x462.jpg

Hey all, Thursday greetings.

40 PATCHING

We’ve currently got the final Build 40 patch in a public IWBUMS beta, and since last week have released 40.37 and 40.38  into it. This includes Turbo’s new night shaders and more colourful/useful interior lights, flashlights and headlights as we felt that Build 40 had moved away from what we wanted in this respect. You can see the video of this from a previous Thursdoid here.

So far IWBUMS testers have reacted really positively the new nights, which is heartening to see. We’ve had quite a few comments like “Night-time looks like the old PZ nights and flashlights finally have a function, this is amazing!” and similar, which is exactly what we were hoping for.

IWBUMS beta 40.39 was due for release today ready for the public patch, but Stas is still hitting a chatbox whisper bug with a code hammer. It will also add in, upon arrival, a fix for players getting wet in some player constructions and add back in the system we have that governs on how dark nights are depending on how bright the moon is.

Turbo has also added the dither circle stencil to the weathermask system (the ring of visibility around the player) when it comes to being inside buildings, which really improves the look of it all. Here’s a video of it without, and here’s a video of it with.

41 ANIMS AND MODELS

Work continues with the AnimZed tool, clothing, layering, spawned zed outfits and similar. There’s still loads of stuff to do under the hood for 41, but we’re now in a position to hopefully provide more visual updates in blogs each week.

This first video touches on what we discussed last week – the ability to layer clothing in whatever order we/you please for added player/zombie variety.

This allows for full length clothing items like dresses, different sorts of shoes, the ability to wear an apron under a jacket, different underwear etc.

This week Zac has also added a zombie spawn test function that creates zeds wearing different outfits from our assigned collection – or all dress the same. This is so we have a convenient way of testing all the different randomized and non-randomized clothing items at once.

Finally for this section, here are some of the dev-defined Career Zed outfits that the system’s easily conjuring up for Martin. 

careerzed01-854x1024.jpg

WATERZED

Yuri this week has continued working on the code for calculating the direction of water movement that we discussed last week – meaning that the game now knows where water should be still and where it should flow.

He’s also fixed some model issues he was having with the anims build, and improved the way banks look. As we’ve said before, it might look too realistic in some aspects of it – but the different quality options give us room to play here.

SIMS-STYLE CUTAWAYS

Chris W is back with us and back in the code, picking up where he left off with improving the way that building interiors are displayed – to the extent that one day our aforementioned friend the dithered visibility circle stencil will no longer be a requirement.

“I’m replacing the old method of stencilling out walls that obscure the interiors” he explains.  “The new method will cut the walls down to ankle height, so you can still see where they should be.”

“The system uses shaders to combine multiple texture samplers, while the old method used multiple passes. When it’s finished, it’ll include curved transitions between the full walls and the cutaway walls. You can see my first work on this in the screen below, but there’s still a lot to change and fix.”

close-up.jpg

OTHER STUFF

• Stas continues his work on the ControllerTest Build, with a fixes version released to testers today. If you would like to join in the test beta and earn yourself a free PZ code, enquire within.
  • Bitbaboon Steve is back with us and investigating ways to optimize MP.
  • RJ is looking into ways to allow us better control over our loot spawn system and difficulty levels, given the many new items that future builds will bring.
  • Mash continues with her work/marathon in the creation of our take on Louisville, and is currently creating the crumbier/seedier end of town.

This week’s plea from the forum from Sick Boy. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. TheCentralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.

You know they aim for realism when the "models" are hungry while showing off the clothes x)

Talk about realism, I'm not sure how realistic it is that zombies wear hats; them dying at some point without the hat falling off their heads, but it adds diversity so I'm okay with that :)

clothing looks really cool guys :) :)

someting I am thinking about when I see all the great clothings...  do you have a regulation how often some kind of clothing combnations can spawn on zombies?

Thinking about, the small towns into the game should only have 5-10 police officers, maybe 5-10 fire fighter, 5-10 nurses in total etc not spawning 100 police officers ingame in 1 year time frame... Zs should be 99% time ordinary people, maybe nearly 25% of them in sleeping gear (as they were attacked in unaware in sleep) - even a huge % of people with special jobs would have been killed while they were not at there job...

how will you handle these?

I've watched Animations video again and thought that it would be cool to have animations for the mood states like panic.

I like how Friday the 13th: the game (R.I.P) made that. It has three states of fear: Calm, slightly spooked and scared as fugg, and each one had it's own animation. Here's the example of the third stage of "Spookiness".friday-13th.thumb.jpg.585d5280d424bbc82cdb99b9c43c5839.jpg

It would be cool to see how your character shaking when he's spooked.

There should be animations for other moods. Like Anxious should make your char bite his nails, Depression should make your character cry over time or something like this.

And also it will be very cool to see idle states of this animations. I.e if you panicked your char can squat/sit onI the ground, hold his head and shake a bit.

Edited by Burger_Time