5 months into "6 months later" bugs and suggestions

Geras

Hi, in my current "6 months later" run I decided to take screenshots and clips of bugs I encountered. I also have a few suggestions.

Some of those bugs are well known, some - I believe - are not.

Issue #1

https://imgur.com/a/gmu3j2p

Clipping / draw order issues with cars and foliage / buildings / other cars (marked in red).

Also, since snow coverage has been updated to look more natural, maybe if there is an overhang, snow should also have a more natural border (marked in yellow).

When you park cars close to each other, every time you save and exit your game close by, when you load your save, cars spawn above the ground and fall down getting damaged (glass breaking sound plays) against each other and change their position a bit (marked in yellow - it took a few game loads to happen).

Another clipping issue:
https://imgur.com/mTp6Fs3

Issue #2

ahoz5Nz.jpg

Any building or deconstructing action should be changed so after i.e. interrupting the action half way, next time you start it you should start where you left off (screenshot of deconstructing a fence), and not from the very beginning as if we didn't start at all. Building actions would probably require some "work in progress" art, i.e. a simple recolour of existing assets or some new ones.

Also, when reading a book and interrupting and starting again, progress bar should start where you left off, not from the beginning (I know progress goes quicker, but it would be nicer if it remembered its last position).

Issue #3

Some items cannot be consolidated:

- matches (maybe not entirely realistic, as those aren't matchboxes, but why not?)

- wire

- twine

Issue #4

Cannot paint signs (arrows and what not) on walls with windows.

Issue #5

Cannot paint crafted metal crates.

Issue #6

VMEfoqk.jpg

A lot of movables cannot be deconstructed.
Screenshot only represents some examples. I'd suggest going through your entire list of movables to identify all furniture that can't be deconstructed.

Stuff that cannot be deconstructed for metal and/or electronic parts:

- fridges
- freezers
- washing machines
- household ovens
- tumble dryers
- tall lockers (in changing rooms - those that require 9 metalworking to craft)
- metal cabinets (in offices)
- BBQs
- fitness equipment
- folding chairs
- metal barrels
- street lights
- metal shelves (often in storage rooms in houses)

- cash registers
- probably more

Issue #7

https://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.3112177616071513,0.1297278161345657,492.2235242952022

This building has no door leading to the balcony.

Issue #8

N6QgI9R.jpg

You cannot tell which car battery is charged and which is not, you only see their general condition.

Issue #9

https://imgur.com/a/Oywpe8P

Clothing cart and tall bar elements are not containers.

Issue #10

You cannot hang a sheet rope from short crafted metal fences, just from the crafted wooden fence.

Issue #11

https://imgur.com/a/MpUZONx

Shading issues with  crafted walls with windows, large bed with light from lit oven, and shadow-leftovers from destroying walls.

Issue #12

https://imgur.com/mmtWMhn

https://imgur.com/a/VPz8Uel

Floors, mirror, road sign and log stack than cannot be picked up.

Issue #13

uHJMVmX.jpg

Cannot place hanging kitchen counter above normal counter.

Issue #14

dfohkhc.jpg

Cloud reflections on car windshields are heavily distorted on some windows (red circle - distorted, blue circle - okay).

Issue #15

HPNlb7Z.jpg

You can literally go across the map and see your generator status window and fuel level. I think it only disappears when you go to sleep.

Issue #16

Applying cataplasms does not grant first aid XP.

Issue #17

8293sHf.jpg

Afaik this font does not support extended characters resulting in extended characters not being displayed.

In this example it should say:

"Nie mogę wysiąść z jadącego samochodu."

Issue #18

mMgr19J.jpg

All metal gates leave planks when destroyed.

Issue #19

ncelFDk.jpg

It's almost impossible to interact with plants and stuff behind barricades. After some time I just stopped planting there because it was too tedious to water the plants.

Issue #20

Fish are too heavy compared to their hunger value. This results in fish being harder to store in freezers compared to birds.

A bird that weigh 0.3 can have -15 hunger value.
A fish that weigh 1.09 can have -7 hunger value.

Issue #21

https://streamable.com/i71jz

If something blocks the front of a car, pressing "V" will not bring up radial menu while in driver's seat and under certain angles outside the car, instead the entire UI will dissappear and reappear.

Issue #22

If you put fuel into charcoal BBQ and pick up and place down the BBQ the fuel counter will reset to zero.

Issue #23

https://streamable.com/87wbu

Varmint rifles differ in weight. This could be linked to what upgrades they initially spawned with (I removed all the upgrades before recording the video).

Issue #24

https://streamable.com/ckzwq

I don't remember exactly how I caused this bug to happen but there are 2 options:

- crate on the left was built in place
- crate on the left was picked up somewhere else and placed there

Trying to place a picked up crate will result in this bug.

Issue #25

Barricading with sheet metal is only marginally stronger compared to barricading with planks (tested with cheat menu and all skills maxed and spawning a single zombie in front of each barricaded window). Sheet metal barricade endured maybe 1 or 2 in-game hours longer than 4 planks. Same goes for barricading with bars as metal sheet and bars barricade seem to have the same HP.

Suggestion #1

yEBVOhb.jpg

It would be nice if there was an option to sort stacked items durability-wise in game options or as a default. I.e. items with most durability first or least durability first.

Suggestion #2

cNe32Qm.jpg

Building with metalworking should be more fleshed-out and reconsidered.

Why build metal lockers that require A LOT of metal resources when those only have 40 and 50 space per tile respectively and you can pick them up from the world anyway? Big locker also requires 9 in metalworking. With how hard metal parts are to come by and how resource-expensive everything is to build with metal I personally I don't see myself ever building those. Nor the metal bar elements. To compare - metal crates are the best storage solutions in the game at the moment with 240 storage per tile.

We should also be able to build:

- metal stairs
- proper single metal doors (not just gates and double-gates)

Also, there is no progression with how metal crates/fences/lockers and gates look like on any of metalworking skill level.
Metal crates should have a special container icon in UI (metal crate icon instead of wooden crate icon).

Suggestion #3

GrqwARH.jpg

All small trees (those that give only 1 log when cut, circled in red) should not cause collisions with cars. It's inconsistent and confusing as there are bushes (circled in blue) that are bigger than those small trees and those bushes do not cause collisions. Small trees could slow down the car instead.

Suggestion #4

Crickets, grass hoppers and roaches should be considered as bird bait for trapping. Currently you cannot catch birds with those.

As of now, if you try to put one of those insects as bait, it will not consume the entire insect, but just some of it's hunger value. An entire insect should be consumed, similar to worms.

Suggestion #5

It would be cool if we could choose weapon priority when pressing "1" "2" or "3" on keyboard.

I.e. I have a screwdriver, a set of butter knives, and a set of kitchen knives. As of now priority is kitchen knives > screwdriver > butter knives.

It would be cool if we could customize that order for all weapons.

EDIT: added suggestion #4 and issue #25.

EDIT 2: added suggestion #5

"All small trees (those that give only 1 log when cut, circled in red) should not cause collisions with cars. It's inconsistent and confusing as there are bushes (circled in blue) that are bigger than those small trees and those bushes do not cause collisions. Small trees could slow down the car instead."

+100 on this, those small trees are such a pain in the youknowwhat

1 hour ago, Geras said:

When you park cars close to each other, every time you save and exit your game close by, when you load your save, cars spawn above the ground and fall down getting damaged (glass breaking sound plays) against each other and change their position a bit 

This caused a car respawning halfway in my fence on reloading. Had to destroy some tiles of fencing to get it free again. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly, I don't have answers to every point, so a few comments from me to help you and fellow forum users along.

#8 - this is correct. You can't tell how charged a battery is by looking at it; this implies some level of risk when you go collecting batteries. 

#13 this looks like you've got the above cabinetry facing the wrong direction - I could be mistaken. The other thing is, you typically don't see the cabinets facing that direction in the game (for aesthetic reasons, you wouldn't be able to see them in isometric)

#25 - this is also correct. It may take longer to bash through, but a dedicated person hitting sheet metal will eventually break through, just the same as a plank. The reinforcement system is not quite realistic, but for balance reasons, cannot be too 'good' or you run the risk of removing the risk. At current, the reinforcement system is slightly biased to planks over sheet metal, allowing for planks to be 'too good' when compared with sheet metal, but not when compared to no reinforcement. Sheet metal was a later addition, so planks needed to be good enough - it might be worth a passing revision, but it's likely not going to get a complete overhaul.

Suggestion #1 Yeah, this might be nice, but I'm not sure how embedded into other systems the inventory system is anymore, generally speaking you can quick swap weapons when one breaks anyhow, so not a great deal of demand for it.

Suggestion # 2 Metalworking was modified/added later, the original system was also scaled back due to in-part, community annoyance over it becoming a bit too much like minecraft's crafting system and breaking the survivalist feel. Originally, you'd have been able to smelt scrap metal, for example to make crude iron/steel ingots, the current system is much less because it is intentionally limited to 'salvage this and place it here' usage. 

Suggestion #4 Sometimes, this is the case in fishing - you only lose half a cricket, and can cast it back out for another chance at the fish. This is intended to simulate that chance; but worms are generally lost when a fish does that, I have seen half a worm of course, but happens way more often with larger baits.

Suggestion #5 I believe you can, if you edit the files, change the order. I can understand wanting to be conservative with your kitchen knives and trying to use up your butter knives first; but the fact is, if you are using a 'quick' weapon swap chances are you need it right now and to kill as quick as possible. Think of it as a belt knife, versus a knife you carry in your backpack. You can get at the belt knife faster - they just remove the overhead of having to manage all the 'pocket/case/strap' management.  Personally, I only use those buttons in rapid response situations.

Hope some of this helps answer some of the criticism and helps you understand some reasons why (some) suggestions are unlikely. If you still feel strongly about a particular suggestion, you should put it into the suggestion forum as a single topic for the community to discuss. Large volume posts with multiple ideas are too difficult and confusing to discuss on the forums. It'd be a nightmare to moderate and even harder to keep control of your topic.

Archived