Zombie corpses

LeoIvanov

First of all - yes I'm back, albeit briefly. Hello there.

Second - to the actual suggestion.
So I've seen numerous attempts by the developers in the past to create a need to remove zombie corpses, to make them dangerous to be around in, but anything that was introduced might have been a bit too much in terms of player satisfaction of the game - just slowly dying with fly noises all over you doesn't sound like the most fun or engaging way to die. People took ages to figure out that using generators indoors will kill them - and that's with amount of warnings that generators have every time you try to use them.

So I thought of a better, a bit more interesting (in my opinion) ways that dead zombie bodies might influence the game.

1) Dead zombie corpses in the game cell increase the chance of the crops spoiling.
This one is a bit self-explanatory. The more dead zombies you have in the area, the more chance you have of not eating fresh cabbages every few months. Given how Farming has been a staple to "long-term survival", making you go out and have to clear dead zombies from your yard could be a hurdle that will directly impact your survival chances, without players going "Why did my character suddenly drop dead again?"

2) Infected crops.
Infected crops will grow if you don't tend to your garden and let a dead zombie decay nearby. For gameplay purposes they should have a clear distinction from just "spoiled" food - those might have worms crawling over it, or something to indicate that those crops are more dangerous and will cause more than just "pain in a tummy". Eating those will more than likely get you infected same as a zombie bite would. Using those infected crops for compost will probably be as dangerous for your garden as dead zombies.

Those are a few ways I thought dead zombies should impact your survival chances, without being too intrusive or annoying to the clueless players.

I am all for something along these lines but it would be nice if we could get rid of the zombies a bit easier. The method in place works, just that it is clumsy. It would be nice to be able to dig a grave and then right click on the corpse, click bury,  and then the avatar takes over and moves it to the nearest open grave.

Same with the cremation mod. Could even give your character an happy bonus for clearing a screen.

I was very surprised that there is not any "zombie burn pile" recipe I can make so to put zombies in camp fire surrounded by rocks and burn them all at once so fire doesn't go everywhere. I guess it's silly too maybe, because It's highly unrealistic to be able to properly and efficiently burn so many bodies at once in one small space. burn pile would have to be very very large and would leave large amount of ash and bone as evidence. clean up of ash is very frustrate for me as some ash wont give option to clean always, as some will give choice to be able to. Bug or what? :? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 8:15 AM, bobthejob said:

I was very surprised that there is not any "zombie burn pile" recipe I can make so to put zombies in camp fire surrounded by rocks and burn them all at once so fire doesn't go everywhere. I guess it's silly too maybe, because It's highly unrealistic to be able to properly and efficiently burn so many bodies at once in one small space. burn pile would have to be very very large and would leave large amount of ash and bone as evidence. clean up of ash is very frustrate for me as some ash wont give option to clean always, as some will give choice to be able to. Bug or what? :? 

if you have a fuel can and lighter you can burn bodies in the base game without it spreading. just drop all the corpses on the same square then right click and you get the option. Word of warning though light it and step back. if you stay still you might catch on fire yourself. the fire stays contained to the tile even to the point of not burning corpses in the next tile over.

Personally i store all my corpses in crates and cupboards so they are out of the way. im currently stashing them in the local gigamart, but i do have a crate room being built to store them all in

• 1 month later...

On the topic of burning zombie bodies, I think the campfire working like an "oven" - where you can drag zombie corpses into and "cook" them until they burn completely - would work fine in addition to the current system. I am not sure if this works as intended yet, but storing the bodies in the back of the truck in large piles would also do wonders in the ability to mass-clean the area.