Should PZ ensure saves files portability to new builds?

duke

Is that a feature that you would like to see? Is there a reason not to do it? I personally think that is a key factor to keep the players in the game, I don't want to go over and over to the process of leveling up my skills, and I would like to focus on other aspects of the game, but that's my personal point of view. What do you think?

Personally I don't think they should because of the nature of the development process, It's one of the aspects that we knew we would have to "endure" going in.  Eventually the game will be realized and this won't happen anymore.

4 hours ago, duke said:

I don't want to go over and over to the process of leveling up my skills, and I would like to focus on other aspects of the game

If it helps, what I do is transfer my character between saves so I don't have to skill up repeatedly. You just have to copy your desired map_p.bin file from one save folder to the other.

Every effort is made to make saves compatible throughout each build/patch, big or small, but occasionally it's not possible due to fundamental changes.

Were we a fully "released" game then you would have every right to expect your save to work with a new patch but since new game systems and underlying tech are still been written, this isn't always possible.

17 hours ago, TheLeonBM said:

Personally I don't think they should because of the nature of the development process, It's one of the aspects that we knew we would have to "endure" going in.  Eventually the game will be realized and this won't happen anymore.

If it helps, what I do is transfer my character between saves so I don't have to skill up repeatedly. You just have to copy your desired map_p.bin file from one save folder to the other.

I've seen that, but for instance, does it work with cars build and the previous one?

4 hours ago, duke said:

I've seen that, but for instance, does it work with cars build and the previous one?

I've been transferring my char between public and IWBUMS since the vehicles test build started and I didn't have any issues so far. 

If you do it, keep in mind that the file also saves your location, so wherever you save for the last time in your current world is where you'll start on your new one.

I think they are doing their very best to make sure, to not break any savegames. Unfortunately though, not every feature is doable without making that decision and before hampering the development and delaying any content I'm completely fine with breaking savegames.

Either try copying the map_p.bin file from one save to another or there is still the possibility to cheat your char back up if you really want to mitigate the leveling-process.

5 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

I honestly don't care that much, I start new playthroughs regularly anyway.

Same here. If it's not too hard or time consuming, sure make sure the saves are compatible. But if it takes away notable time away from forward development, then my position is it's not worth it.  

Archived