Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

16 hours ago, sniperman1109 said:
  1. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? So far in my game the only thing I want is the transfer all items thing if it isn’t already in, but that’s it for the list part everything else seems to be working fine for me at least! Thank you guys for working on controller support, it will make it a ton easier to play spiltscreen with my friends without their complaints from how the controllers were before.

Hey, the "Transfer All" and a bunch of other inventory options are already in game (if you're on version 11)

Simply open up the inventory (Y) and look at the bottom of inventory panel.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:15 AM, Trane54 said:

Hello devs! Is it still available to get the free steam codes? I'm really up to test it out split-screen mainly and see how it feel.

Short answer - Yes!

..Longer answer: we're still working on improving controls, so any input is valuable. But you have to put in work first (the key words in the name of this thread are "active participants")

yay new update :) I jump into it immediately to see if things working .  I happy to say that everything works. I am happy to see that the Attack and Push now are more understandable than before.  So I spawn into a house and walked around and loot the kitchen and found a car ( I was lucky i guess). I took me few minutes to figure out how to turn the car on and started driving. The driving feels good and going out of the car and inside was easy enough. Pulling the menu to access the option for the car was easy enough. Zoom in and out the camera was a bit strange ( I find it a bit annoying that you have to push the menu button to pull out the Menu and then select the Zoom in or Zoom out and then just let it go and repeat. (Maybe by pressing A while you have the zoom in or out selected maybe it feels better, that goes for other Options too). So far I haven't found something major problem . Game is playable right now. I am going to continue testing and will update my feedback.

One thing I found out is that when you use the right stick to look around or sneak sometimes when you let it go it doesn't remember the position. For example you trying to loot the kitchen and you look at that direction but when you let go it turns the opposite. I dont know if this is intended or not. 

Going to play some more

4 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Hey, the "Transfer All" and a bunch of other inventory options are already in game (if you're on version 11)

Simply open up the inventory (Y) and look at the bottom of inventory panel.

Ah I see thank you for the info! I do miss things like that sometimes lol thank you all for don’t such a good job with making the contillers better, your just making the game more enjoyable for everyone who doesnt like using keyboard aka my wife and a few other of my friends lol

18 hours ago, HUNDERPANZER said:

Trying to move furniture with the controller is impossible (i think). I can't get the floor tile selector to move from it's original location, even if I try to reposition it by exiting and re-entering furniture mode.

Have you tried using D-pad buttons to move the floor tile selector? I've noticed this yesterday while testing the build but for the life of me can't figure out how to make it move obvious... Any ideas, anyone?

Back again and happy to see progress! Thanks!

Controller menu:

Works great for me with xbox360 gamepad.

Char creation:

Still a bit weird :) On the profession screen I am not able to work my way (d pad) to the Start button in the right corner. I end up at the save menu, which I find irritating. Pressing (B) bringt up the controller buttons though. It feels wrong somehow.

Ingame:

Opening and closing the inv works OK. Opening with (Y) and closing with (B). I know it might just be me but closing inv with (Y) feels more natural. I ended up picking up all the loot as now (Y) is "loot all"....

Finally melee works as intended with RT now. Looking around also works.

The explanations added to the inv menu are great.

Haven't testet cars and furniture until now. Did not find a car and fuel.

I am still hoping that zoom will be added to be a mapping option on controller. While playing with gamepad on the couch it's such a nice feature to be able to zoom in.

Found two bugs:
Ingame and title menu, after entering the OPTIONS and choosing AUDIO and then ADVANCED I am able to alter the volume of single sounds but I am not able to exit that window using gamepad again. Mouse works, gamepad (B) does not.

Started two game sessions in Suvival, both started with heavy fog. I do not know if that was the reason but I was not able to zoom. The options were missing from the radial menu. Any ideas why?

Change list for update 12:
• fixed: Add a new action "Pan Camera (hold)" in Player tab on RB / R1 by default
• fixed: Add "Run" action to L3 by default (makes more sense)
• fixed: Remove "Vehicle Left / Right" from Car tab, instead add "Steering Wheel" to L-thumbstick
• fixed: Remove "Movable Items Menu" from Player tab (not needed)
• fixed: Controller bindings assign "Square" to exit a vehicle, this doesn't work
• fixed: "Interact" next to car door doesn't bring up option to enter the car
• fixed: X / Square > "interact" is always present in the bottom-left corner
• fixed: Not possible to exit Options > Audio > Advanced settings; the game throws a RuntimeException
• fixed: Controller calibration window is not at the center when controller other than Xbone / Dualshock is used
• fixed: game handle gamepad input in calibration mode
• fixed: calibrator ignore first axis when calibration started with gamepad
• fixed: impossible to get gamepad after calibration or testing

When using a controller for games, I often use a third party app for keymapping, essentially using my controller as mouse/keyboard. Controller support isn’t always supported.

Thought it would be good experience to compare native support with the above.

1.    What controller are you using? Xbox Elite

2.    Does the controller work?

Yes – Once the controller was selected in the controller menu drop down it worked well. All buttons if assigned a particular action did as they were assigned.

3.    Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

The customisation menu is clear and works well. I would like to see additional support for the paddles on the Xbox elite controller.

Tab -   Select and test

It would be good to have context help/tooltip for the various settings to describe what they do/effect.

Tab - Controller bindings

The controller menu looks well-laid out and clear. I have only played with this build and the previous build but improvements to options look more polished now.

Suggestion – Having the option to specify a continuous action until button released. E.g the same as if you would hold down ‘space’ for the push action with the keyboard. From a user who often favours mimicking keyboard/mouse actions, it doesn’t feel as smooth.

4.    How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

Even without looking at the customisation first, the default controller settings were quick to pick up for someone who has played mainly PZ with keyboard/mouse.

Using the customisation menu was pretty quick to get playing with assigned actions/buttons you wanted without any frustrations.

The ‘player control’ feels much smoother than the previous build. I can easily run or walk without an issue. Prior to this, I ended up running whether I wanted to or not. It’s great to have the option to disable running altogether. Both options work well.

5.    How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

From a 'personal preference' I would like to see the player radial menu function refined. Using this radial menu doesn’t feel as smooth as it could be.

Currently to select a menu you have to hold the button and keep the right pad to your desired option and then release the button for it to work. It’s never felt that smooth.

For example, when I zoom, I often try various magnifications until I’m happy, especially on the move. The scroll wheel works perfectly for this. With the current setup you have to perform the above sequence of actions multiple times to get the same desired effect.

Suggestion(s)

I would like to see the radial menu remain on screen with the button press. By using the right stick and RT you can carry out multiple desired selections. E.g zooming/time control. 99% of the time when using the time controls, I’ve carefully moved from one speed to another at the same time. Therefore having to bring up the menu each time doesn’t make as much sense to me.  

If you select the character window from the menu, pressing the radial button could automatically close the window and bring back the menu. Currently to remove the window you must press the cancel button first.

Extending the radial menu - E.g pickup option - when highlighted 3 additional sections/pies appear on the outside circumference for the other options to select. Same for the time control.  

6.    Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

No

7.    In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I’d probably end up getting frustrated as my inventory screens are 90% open at all times. However, if there was an option to quickly switch (button press) between both functions I would probably use it. Especially if it opened up the option for a smoother/faster UI experience for those times you weren’t on the move. e.g inventory management.

8.    What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

Selecting the connected controller in the options menu prior to starting a game wouldn’t carry over into the game and remain as ‘none’. I would have to open up options in game and select the test controller in the tab menu a second time.

9.    This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

Not that I’ve noticed. Resolution at 1920x1060.

10.  What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

Option for continuous actions.

I didn't find myself wanting to switch to my third party keymapper setup. Moving around the UI was less hassle. With the third party app mimicking the mouse was often tedious and not as swift.

Both sticks work smoother and felt better to use. 

5 hours ago, kill400zombies said:

I loaded up the new update but I am still unable to attack using R2 or any other button I bind it to, however I can still push when it is set to L2 but binding push to another button seems to make that stop working also

Yeah, binding attack to a different button seems to be ropey (I'll look into it)

Could you try attack without changing any bindings? Simply delete folders / files, start a new game, assign a weapon and then use R2 - does it work?

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

Yeah, binding attack to a different button seems to be ropey (I'll look into it)

Could you try attack without changing any bindings? Simply delete folders / files, start a new game, assign a weapon and then use R2 - does it work?

I deleted the folder, started a new game straight away and equipped a baseball bat and then a kitchen knife, same again for both push worked but attack didn't

16 hours ago, kill400zombies said:

I deleted the folder, started a new game straight away and equipped a baseball bat and then a kitchen knife, same again for both push worked but attack didn't

How about gamepadBinding.config file? (sorry, gotta eliminate all possibilities here :) )

Other than that, have you got any Mods or software supporting Dualshock on a PC? (the build doesn't support mods and additional software will interfere with performance..)

7 hours ago, Pandorea said:

How about gamepadBinding.config file? (sorry, gotta eliminate all possibilities here :) )

Other than that, have you got any Mods or software supporting Dualshock on a PC? (the build doesn't support mods and additional software will interfere with performance..)

By folder I meant the gamepads folder and also the gamepad binding.config, I should have been a bit clearer.

In terms of mods and additional software, all pz mods are disabled and I have no software installed that would affect the controller

On 11/15/2018 at 4:29 AM, Batsphinx said:
  • What controller are you using? Xbox One controller
  • Does the controller work? It works in-game right from the main menu, and controlling my survivor was seamless as well.
  • Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? Yes, and yes. It is relevant. It could be improved by allowing further mapping of controls to more buttons, i.e., maybe I don't want the menu button to be the radial button, and want it to be a bumper so I can move and zoom in at the same time. Stuff like that.
  • How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? It feels great, but the inventory management has changed. More on that later.
  • How would you like your gamepad play further improved? Generally speaking, I feel like I have the same control of a KB/M player, and often times more. I think the control aspect of using a gamepad, along with functionality, are really good.
  • Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I've only played once on a previous build in 2018, but it worked fine, and the ability to play with a controller and KB/M is really nice, kudos to you all for implementing that.
  • In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I definitely think that having the player still able to move is a must, so don't change that, but at the same time, there are still many UI menus in game that have poor functionality that could be improved without sacrificing mobility. Closing the tutorial UI, server options, and navigating Device Options can all be improved while keeping mobility, because I have to take my hand off the pad and use my mouse to close them (with exceptions to the device options UI, that one you can back out of).
  • What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? I've never noticed any bugs regarding controllers, just options that are missing that I would like. 
  • This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I play at 1280 x 720, and there is no performance degradation.
  • What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? TL:DR button for quick-move and fix of your place in the inventory being shifted upwards when moving items in descending order, versus ascending order. 
  • Here is where we address the main concern. The number one issue that I want to see in the inventory system is the ability to quick-move items through the different inventory screens. Before, X (or Square) would quick-move items into your inventory, but pressing X on something IN your inventory would drop it on the floor. This is the only area where I felt at a disadvantage, because I would have to go one-by-one with the info of an item to move it, AND I would have to start at the bottom, because if you start at the top, by the time you go to transfer something that takes more time than it would take to simply move to the next inventory item, your place in your inventory gets shifted upwards which is very annoying. So say Item A takes 3 seconds to move, well by that time you've already gone and put other things in the queue to move, so when Item A is done transferring, your place in the inventory gets shifted upwards and selects something that you've just put into the queue to move. The controls for the new system are regressing a bit, I feel, because the button that you press for the inventory no longer opens AND closes the inventory, it transfers all. And B (Circle) no longer brings up the info and item size of an item, now it closes the inventory. Makes sense from the perspective of B being a back button, but the entirety of your whole control scheme doesn't really adhere to the default A accept and B back scheme of most games.  Seeing X as the quick-move (just like dragging items in file browser for windows) will tremendously improve the gameplay. You may have to sacrifice the transfer all functionality, but you can just as easily map that function to the Menu (Select) button, or clicking in one of the joysticks. This is where functionality has always needed to see some improvement. Thank you for the ability to address this concern because I always felt like it needed to be addressed but that no one would listen or understand.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:12 AM, Collophonius said:

I am still hoping that zoom will be added to be a mapping option on controller. While playing with gamepad on the couch it's such a nice feature to be able to zoom in.

You can zoom in and out by pressing Menu or Back (or Select, idk what the ps4 buttons are called nowadays) and using the right stick to choose either in or out. Go in and look at the controls and you'll see.

hi, one thing that I noticed was that the game only detects the controllers that were conected before you start the game, if you turn on a controller with the game already open the controller do not work and the same thing happens if your controller disconnect during the game

( sorry for my bad english :( ) 

8 hours ago, Pandorea said:

@PapayaKing so what you're saying is: bring back "Quick transfer" (perhaps, sacrificing "Loot all")? And fix the "shifty inventory" thingie? I must say that even after some trial I'm still not sure what you mean :( 

I admit my explanation was a dense one. I'll try to put into layman's terms, so-to-speak. So say you've gone on an expedition and have a full bag's inventory on you. say you have a plank, and some other knick-knacks like nails and books. so you start to unload the planks and nails and other items into the container of your choice, and you start from the very top of the inventory (the plank) going to the very bottom. So you press A to bring up the context menu, select "move" and then select the container, and the item then starts to transfer, bringing up a progress bar. Then, as that item is transferring, you do the same for the others. You can do this very rapidly as well, because all it takes is just a successive amount of "A" presses to select the proper inventories, so by the time you're halfway through your inventory, the first item, the plank, is done transferring, and then to fill the gap of the first item now missing in your inventory, all of the items in your inventory now shift upwards, and I said in my original explanation it selects something above where you're currently at, but with everything now moving upwards to fill the gap of the first item, where you're currently at in the inventory menu shifts downwards, so you then skip an item, and have to readjust your selection to move the item that you had previously selected. To get around this, you start from the bottom, because if the bottom item disappears, there's no item to take its place because it's at the bottom, so your inventory doesn't move. I would like a system that is similar to the KB/M controls, where you can hold "ctrl" and select items, just like in your file browser, and then drag them into the inventory of your choice. In the previous build, you could just press X (or square) in a container, and the item would quick transfer to your inventory, and pressing X in your OWN inventory would drop the item on the floor, regardless of which container you were looking at. My proposition was to assign a button to quick move items like the function in minecraft where you can just shift-click or press Y (or triangle) and the item quick moves inventories and containers. Loot all may not be a function, but you can just as easily rapidly go through and quick move everything, as you can transfer all. You will have to be in the container inventory for the same amount of time, regardless. In addition, the Loot All button can be easily moved to a different button, such as a stick press or holding a button (you already have to hold B (or circle) to hop through windows, so the function is there. I will happily make a video if you need further explaining because the issue is really specific and i know that my kind of articulated sense of speaking can be hard for some to understand. 

42 minutes ago, bragaralho said:

hi, one thing that I noticed was that the game only detects the controllers that were conected before you start the game, if you turn on a controller with the game already open the controller do not work and the same thing happens if your controller disconnect during the game

( sorry for my bad english :( ) 

EDIT: You're right, you now have to restart the game if the controller disconnects or falls asleep, but that is an addressed issue. If you go to options, then controller, there's a little tab that says "FAQ" that you can click, and that has all the issues and questions that are commonly asked.

I think you can get around this by reloading the config files in the options, and by selecting the controller again. I never have a problem switching between kb/m and controller, even if the controller disconnects, but I'll test it out right now for you.

Edited by PapayaKing

On 1/31/2019 at 9:23 AM, kill400zombies said:

By folder I meant the gamepads folder and also the gamepad binding.config, I should have been a bit clearer.

In terms of mods and additional software, all pz mods are disabled and I have no software installed that would affect the controller

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but PZ executes the weapon attack after your trigger input has entered the safe zone. When you're testing the controller, make sure that at rest, your R2 trigger falls in the blue zone, because once you squeeze it and release, once it enters the blue zone is when you'll attack. Do it from the main menu as well because it's really laggy in-game. Post pics if you need help. I know I'm not that well known but I know that I really want to help.

Go into your options and chose a test controller, and make sure that the game is registering R2 as an input. Also test another controller if you have one or have access to one. Also, I would backup your saves and reinstall the game if I were you. Doesn't take that long and can fix many issues. We're on a test build, but that build is running on the base version of the game and maybe that's where the problem is. Also, I have all my mods running on this build and they all work fine. Check for error codes as well.

Edited by PapayaKing
Possible fix

On 1/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, HUNDERPANZER said:

Trying to move furniture with the controller is impossible (i think). I can't get the floor tile selector to move from it's original location, even if I try to reposition it by exiting and re-entering furniture mode.

Hey there friendo. All you have to do to move furniture is use the context radial menu, with like crafting and zoom and all that, and the furniture button is right there. Once you select Furniture, you hold Left Bumper or L1, and it brings up a radial menu with all four options to disassemble, pick up, place and rotate. Disassemble and pick up are no-brainers, but place and rotate can be non-intuitive for some. For starters, you use the D-pad to move the little floor selection indicator to choose your item, and if there are multiple items on a tile, you use Right Bumper or R1 to select the different items. If you only have one item, placing is easy, but if you have two or more, all you do place them is again, use RB or R1 to select the item, then press A or X to place it. Rotating is also mapped to RB or R1. If you know all this and I've missed the problem, feel free to call me a dimbus and elaborate. 

So I've found something that is kind of a QOL issue. If you read a book, you can't exit the inventory without putting down the book either because pressing B to close the menu also stops progress on the book. I know you have to stand there regardless, and honestly it has no impact on gameplay and is just me being nit-picky, but this wasn't an issue when Y was the close inventory button. I just don't wanna alwayts be in my inventory y'know? What if I'm reading a book and something comes up where the inventory is, like a zed or a player. You'd never really know until it was too late lol.

4 hours ago, PapayaKing said:

So I've found something that is kind of a QOL issue. If you read a book, you can't exit the inventory without putting down the book either because pressing B to close the menu also stops progress on the book. I know you have to stand there regardless, and honestly it has no impact on gameplay and is just me being nit-picky, but this wasn't an issue when Y was the close inventory button. I just don't wanna alwayts be in my inventory y'know? What if I'm reading a book and something comes up where the inventory is, like a zed or a player. You'd never really know until it was too late lol.

yes, i have the same problem... i think it would be better if Y opens and closes the inventory and if the "take all" button swith to another button

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic