Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants
19 19

262 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

On 1/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, GamerUrso said:

The controls are better but I have a problem where Melee doesn't seem to work. Also when I try to change the key bindings and save the keybindings they don't seen to change or work.

Other than that the controls seem more fluent and better since last time I tried. Well done. But if I can't attack hard to play. Good progress so far. Here my Set up.

 

P.S : also the Y axis for move and Y axis for Aim don't think they work as intended I had to Invert them to be correct and not inverted.

 

 

How do you mean "Melee doesn't seem to work"? Melee doesn't work on assigned button or on any other button press, too?

 

Also, it is advisable to delete gamepads / joypads folders and gamepadBinding.config file between different game tests. This should help with inverted keys,  hopefully.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 5:23 AM, MrHopscotch said:

@Stas from general arcade is macOS support planned? Has this changed since the thread was started? I am willing to test gamepad support on macOS.

 Nothing changed in this way.  Yes, we have plans about it but I can't promise anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 10 is available! Changelist for update 10:
• fixed: error when select same bindings to gamepad control
• fixed: can't be grab specific one item in container or inventory
• fixed: LT / L2 doesn't perform Melee action
• fixed: Triangle to close inventory performs "push" action
• fixed: Thumbstick buttons looks inactive in test window
• fixed: White context button text is hard to see in fog
• fixed: Thumbstick buttons are unavailable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, Pandorea said:

 

How do you mean "Melee doesn't seem to work"? Melee doesn't work on assigned button or on any other button press, too?

 

Also, it is advisable to delete gamepads / joypads folders and gamepadBinding.config file between different game tests. This should help with inverted keys,  hopefully.

 

 

I mean that when i am in the Melee mode I press the Attack button that I assign and try to attack and it didn't work. I am going to try this and see and then I will post my findings. Thanks!

 

edit: It still doesn't work :/

Edited by GamerUrso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GamerUrso said:

 

I mean that when i am in the Melee mode I press the Attack button that I assign and try to attack and it didn't work. I am going to try this and see and then I will post my findings. Thanks!

 

edit: It still doesn't work :/

 

Thanks for taking time to update your post! 

 

Yeah, there is an issue with attacking in this update: the attack / push will only work if you used "Loot all" to get a weapon and then L-Dpad to assign it. Attacks will not work if you've "Grabbed" and "Equipped Primary / Secondary" :( 

 

Stas is well aware of this and is working on finding and implementing solution right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

 

Thanks for taking time to update your post! 

 

Yeah, there is an issue with attacking in this update: the attack / push will only work if you used "Loot all" to get a weapon and then L-Dpad to assign it. Attacks will not work if you've "Grabbed" and "Equipped Primary / Secondary" :( 

 

Stas is well aware of this and is working on finding and implementing solution right now. 

You welcome! Thanks for answering. I will wait for the next update then and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was glad to see that closing the inventory causing the character to push had been fixed and decided to load up the game, however, I was met with a much bigger problem. No matter what button melee is set to it doesn’t work when pressed.

 

 

Edit: after relaunching the game I tried to melee using L2 and it didn’t work when the button was pressed down but only at the point it was released from being pressed down. I went into the controller bindings to see that the button I had rebound to melee (switched with rack firearm into R2) was not assigned and melee was not even assigned to any button according to the menu.pz.thumb.png.629b0259ff6619d7c89ba6116a772afa.png

 

 

I really like the look of this new controller bindings menu.

Edited by kill400zombies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kill400zombies said:

I was glad to see that closing the inventory causing the character to push had been fixed and decided to load up the game, however, I was met with a much bigger problem. No matter what button melee is set to it doesn’t work when pressed.

yeah I had the same issue :/ can't melee at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Steam Controller
  2. Isn't recognized as a normal controller, but I can still play the game with a seperate configuration
  3. Only shows the Xbox controller scheme - It looks great, but needs some esthetic editing :D
  4. As I'm using an external configuration, I can't say how your system handles the inputs?
  5. Being able to get recognized for testing, I'm more of a keyboard/mouse guy, but others might want to use all controllers.
  6. Can't test it.
  7. This game is all about Multi-tasking, I'd feel it would limit the gameplay experience as I've come to love it.
  8. Couldn't test beyond the fact that my controller wasn't recognized
  9. Same as above
  10. Recognized Steam Controller for trying split-screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been able to test the 3 latest builds (8, 9 and 10) because the game doesn't register the controller properly. I can go into the controller options and to the test tab and the game detects the controller just fine there. Outside of that it is if I don't have a controller plugged in at all. If I start up the game after switching to the controller test build there is a popup window with all of the latest patch notes for the build. This has all of the UI elements for someone using an Xbox 360 controller. I've posted a screenshot of this in an earlier post. I am forced to close this window using the mouse as the game ignores my controller completely.

 

After I close this window the game then displays the UI elements for someone using a PS4 controller. All controller inputs are ignored. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my controller drivers several times and nothing has changed. I have asked before if there is anything else I can do to try and fix this situation, but I haven't received any advice that has helped at all. Do I need to find and download some app to clean out old drivers? Do I need to do a fresh Windows and game install? I seem to be the only one having this issue so far.

 

Edit/Update: With nasKo's help in the Discord I uninstalled the drivers for the controller and made another attempt at the controller test. Still no luck. I've decided that screenshots aren't going to cut it and am planning on using OBS to capture the game to video so I can provide a little more info. I'm just in the process of remembering how to use OBS as it's been over a year since I last used it.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Updated information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I haven't been able to test the 3 latest builds (8, 9 and 10) because the game doesn't register the controller properly. I can go into the controller options and to the test tab and the game detects the controller just fine there. Outside of that it is if I don't have a controller plugged in at all. If I start up the game after switching to the controller test build there is a popup window with all of the latest patch notes for the build. This has all of the UI elements for someone using an Xbox 360 controller. I've posted a screenshot of this in an earlier post. I am forced to close this window using the mouse as the game ignores my controller completely.

 

After I close this window the game then displays the UI elements for someone using a PS4 controller. All controller inputs are ignored. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my controller drivers several times and nothing has changed. I have asked before if there is anything else I can do to try and fix this situation, but I haven't received any advice that has helped at all. Do I need to find and download some app to clean out old drivers? Do I need to do a fresh Windows and game install? I seem to be the only one having this issue so far.

 

Edit/Update: With nasKo's help in the Discord I uninstalled the drivers for the controller and made another attempt at the controller test. Still no luck. I've decided that screenshots aren't going to cut it and am planning on using OBS to capture the game to video so I can provide a little more info. I'm just in the process of remembering how to use OBS as it's been over a year since I last used it.

 

What sort of controller is it that you're using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I haven't been able to test the 3 latest builds (8, 9 and 10) because the game doesn't register the controller properly.

Do you have any mod installed? The controller test builds doesn't support mods. Also could you attach your dxdiag file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Batsphinx said:

What sort of controller is it that you're using?

 

I'm using a standard PS4 controller contented to my PC through the charging cable that comes with it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers numerous times as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

 

No mods installed. Dxdiag file attached.

DxDiag.txt

I see you have installed 3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator software. The software is gamepad emulation so you should fully remove it (and/or its drivers, of course). I see driver of this software at least.  I think it's the cause of your problem. You are using windows 10 and you are using ps4 controller so you do no need to use any additional software for using gamepad in games. If you still have troubles with using gamepad in some game and it's steam version of the game you can try to use built-in steam software to emulate gamepad. It's more safely in contrast with 3rd party tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stas from general arcade said:

3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator

 

I was wondering if that might have been causing the issue. I've tried uninstalling it several times and it refuses to uninstall. I'm either not given the option to uninstall, or I am and it just reinstalls itself (or doesn't actually uninstall properly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

 

I was wondering if that might have been causing the issue. I've tried uninstalling it several times and it refuses to uninstall. I'm either not given the option to uninstall, or I am and it just reinstalls itself (or doesn't actually uninstall properly).

 Try to uninstall just driver manually in device manager. Google may help to uninstall it fully or resolve your trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some searching on Google I discovered that I had to switch the view to "Devices by Connection" to see the "devices" under the 3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator "device". I could then disable these devices which then allowed me to unistall them which finally allowed me to unistall the 3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator.

 

The controller is working again. Once in test however, even after several button inputs I did not get the option to take over the character with controller one until after I had a zombie on me and was half dead. I tried to fight them off but the attack button was not working. After starting a new character I finally got to try out the new controller configuration.

 

I have to tell you, going from using Triangle to open and close the inventory to using Triangle to open the menu and then Circle to close it was confusing as hell. It took me a while to realize that trying to close the menu with Triangle was either spilling all of my items onto the ground or grabbing everything from a nearby controller. Using Triangle to both open and close the menu was a lot less confusing and a lot more intuitive. This alone made me put down the controller and shut the game down. I'll have to test it out more later when I'm not so frustrated. It seemed that no matter how much I tried to remember that Circle now closed the menu I was still picking up random items or dropping items everywhere.

 

Edit: Before I forget, with the new character I got the attack to work, and it works using the right button (the Right Trigger or R2), but it is wildly inconsistent. The melee or push attack works just fine however. I haven't tried guns just yet so I haven't been able to test out the reload yet. I need to find where I parked my car so I can test that out too.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Added some missing info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. What controller are you using?
-Sony DualShock 4

2. Does the controller work?

Yes

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
-Feels very limited. i want to change the inventory button and transfer all button and change the radial button to one of the d-pads. The more customizable the better.

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

-Feels good other than when i go into my inventory sometimes when i back out, i cannot attack anymore

5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

-more customization, multi-select in inventory
6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
-Not this beta
7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
-I would die
8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
-The inventory glitch mentioned above. cars were not visible, so i couldn't test it out

9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

-Smoother, thank you
10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? 

the not being able to attack after closing inventory

Really happy you guys are working on this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, Kaleidozombie said:

Using Triangle to both open and close the menu was a lot less confusing and a lot more intuitive.

 

I would personally really agree with this especially after having my inventory thrown onto the ground a few times now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello devs! Is it still available to get the free steam codes? I'm really up to test it out split-screen mainly and see how it feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kill400zombies said:

I would personally really agree with this especially after having my inventory thrown onto the ground a few times now.

 

On 1/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, Kaleidozombie said:

Using Triangle to both open and close the menu was a lot less confusing and a lot more intuitive.

I know your feelings about that but it's better for the game because when you are a new in PZ using Triangle button is more confusing.  Most of games and PZ use Circle for exit from current window/menu or for cancel current action. PZ already use Circle for exit from most windows so I added inventory to that number.  You just need to get used to. Also this change gave you the opportunity to quickly loot a container by double pressing Triangle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I decided to give it a try again. Although my controller is not working sometimes when you first open the game and you need to quit and run it again. In game no my melee wasnt working so I went with my controller to the option menu and changed the Melee and Rack Weapon L1 and RT and accept. Now somehow the melee worked. Although Fighting with Weapon is Rack Weapon and not Melee. This is a bit confusing for me. I though Rack Weapon was to put your weapon back to holster your weapon or something. Anyway so I changed back to L1 to Melee and RT to Rack Weapon. Now that it was working I started looting the house and walk around. Also I tested the Triangle to loot everything etc. It works fine and for me It is great.  So I walked out side I killed one zombie everything worked fine but When i found a police car and entered the car ( It did not had the keys) I exit and I went to fight some zombies but suddenly the Melee and Rack Weapon Buttons didn't work again so the zombie got me few times. I walked around tried to use it again but still didn't work. I reassign the buttons again and after few seconds they work again. It worked though for a moment there. I also Installed the Xbox Accessory App from Microsoft Store also Enabled the Xbox Controller Config for steam. Don't know if that did anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changelog for update 11:


• fixed: "Keep the change? Y / N" popup with a "Reverting in ...seconds" doesn't disappear when Yes is selected
• fixed: Attack and Push only work when weapons as gained via "loot all"  + L D-pad, not Grabbed / Equipped|
• fixed: Combobox is losing focus when up pressed in change controller binding tab
• fixed: if set action to others controls then wrong field highlihted
• fixed: Default controller mapping is wrong
• fixed: Not possible to change Controller bindings for LT / RT or L2 / R2
• fixed: aim button can't be change from RB
• fixed: Attack with a weapon causes a very annoying camera shake
• fixed: Dualshock O / Square are in switched positions in Bindings screen
• fixed: Vehicle Brake is assigned to O and is unchangeable in bindings; but it's also possible to assign it to other buttons
• fixed: All unchangeable button controls should be shown in bindings
• fixed: Add translation for actions on gamepad binding tab
• fixed: some actions can't be reassigned to another control but they are active

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. What controller are you using? xbox360 controller 
  2. Does the controller work? Yes
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? it fits my controller perfect very straight forward to use and when I apply my options it works just fine.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? My controller feels fine in game if not better then before. Nothing has really changed to me that has made gameplay with the controller worse, everything’s been pretty positive!
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? Being able to click the transfer all items out of my inventory into a container if that’s not possible already I may have skipped over it I tend to miss things sometimes lol
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, howis this beta playing? I haven’t played spilt screen yet with this build.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I think we should still be able to move while we access our inventory because in real life we can look in a bag and walk at the same time so I believe if this was taken away this would make it possibly less immersive.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? Well my controller was hooked up and I couldn’t get into my inventory or open doors etc but when I unplugged it and plugged it back in it started to work again.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? While I was driving I got some low frame rate for a min but then it went back to normal and started running smoothly again.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? So far in my game the only thing I want is the transfer all items thing if it isn’t already in, but that’s it for the list part everything else seems to be working fine for me at least! Thank you guys for working on controller support, it will make it a ton easier to play spiltscreen with my friends without their complaints from how the controllers were before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
19 19