Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

I have a few suggestions to add based on my experience with the games inventory management on controller:

Outside of inventory:

Swap the functions of Y (Triangle) and B (Circle) outside of the inventory.

• Y performs various contextual actions based on clicking, double clicking or holding. You could use this to allow someone to chose their actions, such as just opening a window, opening the window and  climbing through, smashing the glass on a window, or smashing the glass and then either removing the broken glass right away or climbing through right away.
  • B opens and closes the inventory.

In inventory:
Tapping the bumpers cycles down through the list of containers. Double tapping cycles up through the list of containers. Holding allows one to cycle up or down through the list of containers using Up or Down on the D-Pad.

Holding down the Right Trigger while in the inventory toggles the functions of the buttons:

• Holding Left D-Pad toggles a Shift function when selecting/deselecting items. While holding this down you can press A (X) to select/deselect the first item and then the last item in the list.
  • Holding Right D-Pad toggles a Ctrl function when selecting/deselecting items. While holding this down you can press A (X) to select/eselect multiple items.
  • You can either have the shift function select everything between the two items regardless of what was previously selected, or you could have it select those that were not selected while deselecting those that were already selected, basically toggling the previous selected/unselected status.
  • Up or Down on the D-Pad still allow you to move up and down through the list of items. To move to the next window you simply stop holding down the Right Trigger.

Holding down the Left Trigger while in the inventory toggles the functions of the buttons:

• A (X) is used to select items.
  • X (Square) is used to quick transfer a full stack from the selected container to the other selected container.
  • Y (Triangle) functions as the Transfer All/Loot All button depending on the container selected.
  • B (Circle) is used to quickly drop items to the floor.

Without using the triggers to toggle the button functions:

• B (Circle) is used to close the inventory.
  • Y (Triangle) is used to turn on/off appliances, or can be given another function.
  • X (Square) is used to expand and collapse stacks.
  • A (X) is used to select and deselect items.

I'm suggesting this because I feel it will bring inventory management closer to the functionality and flexibility of those using Keyboard and Mouse. It would also help with those who have a problem dumping all of their items on the ground using the current configuration in the Controller Test Beta. I'm hoping you'll use this, but if you choose not to I understand. It's a lot of work to implement. I just don't want to be left frustrated while playing the game because of the limitations of the controller interface.

Edit: I should add that when the Right Trigger and Left Trigger are used to toggle the inputs while in the inventory that the buttons/commands displayed on the UI will change as a result as well so people will know just what the buttons do when toggled.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Formatting.

9 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

Y performs various contextual actions based on clicking, double clicking or holding. You could use this to allow someone to chose their actions, such as just opening a window, opening the window and  climbing through, smashing the glass on a window, or smashing the glass and then either removing the broken glass right away or climbing through right away.

I can kinda see what you mean, but I think this is more along the lines of setting a macro, and I'm not sure macros in this game would be... practical? To me, there's no time wasted between just swinging my weapon at a window, bringing up the context menu, clearing the glass, and holding B to hop through it. 

14 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

In inventory:
Tapping the bumpers cycles down through the list of containers. Double tapping cycles up through the list of containers. Holding allows one to cycle up or down through the list of containers using Up or Down on the D-Pad.

Holding down the Right Trigger while in the inventory toggles the functions of the buttons:

• Holding Left D-Pad toggles a Shift function when selecting/deselecting items. While holding this down you can press A (X) to select/deselect the first item and then the last item in the list.
  • Holding Right D-Pad toggles a Ctrl function when selecting/deselecting items. While holding this down you can press A (X) to select/eselect multiple items.
  • You can either have the shift function select everything between the two items regardless of what was previously selected, or you could have it select those that were not selected while deselecting those that were already selected, basically toggling the previous selected/unselected status.
  • Up or Down on the D-Pad still allow you to move up and down through the list of items. To move to the next window you simply stop holding down the Right Trigger.

A lot of this is iffy. I can tell you now that the bumpers isn't a really good idea to me, because when there are many containers, I be PRESSIN the bumpers, so it would be really annoying to have to use the D-pad.

Holding down the right trigger, upon release, will swing your weapon, but initially holding it down is fine, provided that the person hasn't already mapped the trigger to something else entirely. They would also have to add functionality to make the triggers work while in the inventory. Also, holding a trigger AND right or left, and then also having to use the D-pad isn't practical. There's no way that you can hold right or left and also go up or down, and at least if you can do it for whatever reason, you're some sort of god. It's like holding down X and then having to use A and Y to scroll through the items in your inventory. Just doesn't work. By the time you can do all that, if you looked at my posts, you could definitely quick move the items, putting them into a queue, in way less time than it would take to hold a trigger, then hold a direction (or press more than likely because that would be fine), select a group of items, then press the opposite direction and select a few items sparsely through the list, then use the menu to move them. That's a LOTTTTT of work my friend. Way easier to just have a quick move button. What you're saying is like what if they implemented support for controllers on Windows to use the File Browser with the exact same control scheme as what you said. I'm sorry, but I don't think a lot of people would use it. However, you've clearly shown a lot of effort in this and I can tell you share the inventory struggles that are so prevalent with gamepad users. I look forward to hearing more ideas from you friend.

27 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

Holding down the Left Trigger while in the inventory toggles the functions of the buttons:

There are just to many buttons to hold, and while I understand it, I don't think many others will. Hold down both triggers and try to hold the D-pad right and try to move it up and down as well, while also trying to make sure you do the appropriate action because it's honestly difficult to remember. A little too much lol.

29 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I'm suggesting this because I feel it will bring inventory management closer to the functionality and flexibility of those using Keyboard and Mouse. It would also help with those who have a problem dumping all of their items on the ground using the current configuration in the Controller Test Beta. I'm hoping you'll use this, but if you choose not to I understand. It's a lot of work to implement. I just don't want to be left frustrated while playing the game because of the limitations of the controller interface.

X doesn't quick move things to the floor anymore. If you want something moved to the floor, you have to do it the long way, by pressing A and selecting the option to move it. Really, no offense, but have you played the new controller beta? Just asking because if you had, you'd notice that B was, also, already the new button for closing the inventory, and Y is now the loot all button. There is no quick move button for containers now, just like how pressing X dropped items on the floor. It all has to be done with the context menu now. I implore you friend, read my post.

21 hours ago, bragaralho said:

hi, one thing that I noticed was that the game only detects the controllers that were conected before you start the game, if you turn on a controller with the game already open the controller do not work and the same thing happens if your controller disconnect during the game

( sorry for my bad english :( ) 

Hey. It works.  I just check out this. It works. Make sure you are use latest version of the game. 

4 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

Did you guys patch the game since yesterday evening? It doesn't work for me either.

Game has no new updates since yesterday but controller connecting work fine. It has may be 1-2 seconds lag between connection and availability in the game. Try to wait few second and press any button in main menu.

3 minutes ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Game has no new updates since yesterday but controller connecting work fine. It has may be 1-2 seconds lag between connection and availability in the game. Try to wait few second and press any button in main menu.

I tried it in game and you were right, it worked, but once I quit to the main menu, I couldn't get the controller to connect for the life of me.

6 minutes ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Could you explain what you mean in details?

While in game, after disconnecting and reconnecting, I get the prompt to chose to add a player or take over player one, but in the main menu, after disconnecting the controller in the main menu OR in game, there is no way for me to use the controller to navigate the main menu. I connect the controller and I wait, and no combination of button presses gives me the ability to use the controller in the main menu. It works fine before the controller disconnects, but as soon as I unplug it, I can't regain control. I have to restart. 

I can make a video of it if you want.

Edited by PapayaKing

16 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

While in game, after disconnecting and reconnecting, I get the prompt to chose to add a player or take over player one, but in the main menu, after disconnecting the controller in the main menu OR in game, there is no way for me to use the controller to navigate the main menu. I connect the controller and I wait, and no combination of button presses gives me the ability to use the controller in the main menu. It works fine before the controller disconnects, but as soon as I unplug it, I can't regain control. I have to restart. 

Yeah, I see. As you (or someone else) said before - disconnecting controller has some troubles. We working on it.

I don't know how often this thread is browsed, but there are two things that need implementation, I feel. Firstly, and this is a problem in the main build too, there is no way for someone on controller to unlock a car trunk without using a mouse, and secondly, there is no dedicated toggle for a flashlight on controller. There's also no way to bind any actions other than the 5 or so you (the devs of course) have laid out, among which are pan camera, rack, run, and a few others. The flashlight is bearable, as I don't use it often. Going into the inventory isn't that bad, but for my setup, once I'm all laid back with a controller, it's really annoying to have to use a mouse to unlock a trunk when there's a perfectly good radial menu right at my disposal. For player controls, up and right on the D-pad do nothing except hide the UI, so making those a flashlight button (like up is in Dying light, for an example) would be very useful. 

Side note, The fact of not being able to close the inventory without stopping an action that you're doing is starting to become an annoyance. I certainly don't speak for all, but I would like to at least see Y (triangle) return as the dedicated inventory open/close button. 

Again, the thread is nice, and I feel like I'm heard. Keep up the good work. Code or not, as someone who only plays with a controller, I'll keep these issues coming. 

Changelog for update 13:
• fixed: InvocationTargetException on controller disconnection
• fixed: Allow to switch between keyboard / gamepad in main menu
• fixed: Disconnecting gamepad is cause of issues
• fixed: RuntimeException when reading a notebook / sheet of paper
• fixed: L1 Release Focus deselects Device Options window and it's impossible to close it with a controller
• fixed: Discarded changes in bindings are not removed until player enters / exits the game
• fixed: Keep Radial Menu navigation on R-thumbstick even if controlls change
• fixed: field remember its first value over several changes and clears wrong, cancel and override wrong action binding
• fixed: Assign "attack" to another button doesn't work
• fixed: If controller has been changed during game, the Bindings screen gets confused and shows both layouts
• fixed: Too big margin in UI section of change binding tab of controller options
• fixed: Remove "Vehicle Left / Right" from Car tab, instead add "Steering Wheel" to L-thumbstick
• fixed: Remove "Vehicle Sub Menu" from Car tab (unless there is the need for this - I do not know what this does)
• fixed: don't revert select action on select same action in binding tab
• fixed: Game options screen becomes too transparent when reassigning action

My PC Usb ports all died unfortunately and I could not test this with my Xbox One Controller. My Xbox 360 though worked fine so I though of testing that out as well.

Although the game found the controller perfectly ( Although it showed it as a xbox one controller) i could navigate though the menu perfectly and I made a new game. At that point I had some problems I could move but I couldnt interact with anything and that was a bit strange for me. I played around a bit and then I realized that I had to close all windows (Help and tutorial) to be able to do all actions. I just though of tell that as well. One issue I found that when I got hurt and open the Health Menu I couldn't find how to apply bandage from that menu. It says press A to open treatment options but A did not do anything. Don't know if that was a problem from my end. That is all for now. I don't know when I will get new Motherboard or PC in general :( unfortunately. Anyway keep the good work! 

Edited by GamerUrso
Silly me mixed Bandages with something else

3 hours ago, GamerUrso said:

My PC Usb ports all died unfortunately and I could not test this with my Xbox One Controller. My Xbox 360 though worked fine so I though of testing that out as well.

Although the game found the controller perfectly ( Although it showed it as a xbox one controller) i could navigate though the menu perfectly and I made a new game. At that point I had some problems I could move but I couldnt interact with anything and that was a bit strange for me. I played around a bit and then I realized that I had to close all windows (Help and tutorial) to be able to do all actions. I just though of tell that as well. One issue I found that when I got hurt and open the Health Menu I couldn't find how to apply bondage from that menu. It says press A to open treatment options but A did not do anything. Don't know if that was a problem from my end. That is all for now. I don't know when I will get new Motherboard or PC in general :( unfortunately. Anyway keep the good work! 

Yeah, the tutorial message can be a bit intrusive, but I always get rid of it. 

It's important to ask, did you just take damage or did you actually SUSTAIN an injury, like a scratched arm or sprained ankle or a burn? If you just take damage, it'll say "Very Minor Damage" and "Slight Damage" and all you have to do is eat until you're full and you're health will go up relatively quickly, but if you actually are hurt with an injury, pressing a will drop down that injury's menu in the character panel and give you an option to treat it. Works perfectly fine for me.

26 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

Yeah, the tutorial message can be a bit intrusive, but I always get rid of it. 

It's important to ask, did you just take damage or did you actually SUSTAIN an injury, like a scratched arm or sprained ankle or a burn? If you just take damage, it'll say "Very Minor Damage" and "Slight Damage" and all you have to do is eat until you're full and you're health will go up relatively quickly, but if you actually are hurt with an injury, pressing a will drop down that injury's menu in the character panel and give you an option to treat it. Works perfectly fine for me.

No I got bitten and Wanted to put some bandages

8 minutes ago, GamerUrso said:

No I got bitten and Wanted to put some bandages

Did you actually have bandages in your inventory? if you have them in a duffel bag then it won't work, but I'm sure you know that.

If you could make a video or a long gif showing it, I would be happy to test it out, because it works fine for me

Edited by PapayaKing

10 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

Did you actually have bandages in your inventory? if you have them in a duffel bag then it won't work, but I'm sure you know that.

If you could make a video or a long gif showing it, I would be happy to test it out, because it works fine for me

I though I had let me test it again^^ thanks

14 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

Keep me updated :)

Ok so apparently I did not had any bandages in my Inventory . I though that I did rip my cloths but for some reason I did not had any. sooo It works fine :) . Maybe it would be better if there was some kind of feedback or something. Maybe a window saying that you don't have anything or something to remind you. But that is me being silly. Also the tutorial windows don't seem to go away with B like most of the Windows. I had to press select it with the arror keys on my controller ( not the stick) and then press A. I dont know if that is a problem or not. ^^

Edited by GamerUrso

2 minutes ago, GamerUrso said:

Also the tutorial windows don't seem to go away with B like most of the Windows. I had to press select it with the arror keys on my controller ( not the stick) and then press A. I dont know if that is a problem or not. ^^

No that is intended I think. Before, you had to use the mouse. You still have to use the mouse for unlocking the trunk of a car, but I digress. Glad the issue got resolved :)

26 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

No that is intended I think. Before, you had to use the mouse. You still have to use the mouse for unlocking the trunk of a car, but I digress. Glad the issue got resolved :)

Hmmm Those should be able to be achieved with a controller ^^ what if i am sitting in my living room and want to play some Zomboid while laying on my back. I don't have any mouse or keyboard available. I dont know if they plan.

4 minutes ago, GamerUrso said:

Hmmm Those should be able to be achieved with a controller ^^ what if i am sitting in my living room and want to play some Zomboid while laying on my back. I don't have any mouse or keyboard available. I dont know if they plan.

True, but realistically, I think most people play it with KB/M, so it's hard to test out everything. I do agree though. I have a number of posts on the previous page of this thread, talking about my issues and opinions. I suggest you look at them. 

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic