Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

5 hours ago, theBlackshot said:

I can't get past the loading screen specifically on the controllertest build. It stops at loading the Character texturepack, endless loading

C:\Users\Yourusername\Zomboid

Grab the console.txt there and upload it to a place like Pastebin, because it's too long to post here. Post the link to it here instead.

38 minutes ago, Pandorea said:

1) As you've been testing controller build on and off and changing bindings, have you been deleting Gamepad / Joypad folders and the gamepadBinding.config file?

I've been deleting them every time I switch builds since I learned that I needed to do that.

2) Is there a chance that the controller wasn't plugged in fully? Could it have been briefly disconnected?

It's possible, but unlikely.

3) Do you use Dualshock in SI / IWBUMS too?

I use the controller for all my games in every mode unless the controller support is horrible in which case I either make do with keyboard and mouse if it isn't too frustrating, or I just give up on playing the game altogether.

4) Do you only use Dualshock?

I use the default controller that comes standard with any PS4, whatever that is called. I used to use an Xbox 360 controller until that broke. I had used someone else's Xbox 360 controller for a while until they got their own copy of the game and I had to switch to using the PS4 controller.

5) At what point (if any) do you plug in the gamepad?

I keep the controller plugged in all the time and only unplug it when I have issues.

The controller works just fine on the stable build and the IWBUMS build. I was playing the latest update for IWBUMS earlier on SpiffoSpace to test things out there as well and everything was working fine. I am only having this issue when switching to the Controller Test build. I was hoping to do some more testing so I could help out more, but it looks like this issue is going to have to be figured out first before I can continue testing. From what I've been reading it looks like many of the issues I've been reporting have been noted and are either being fixed or are still being investigated but have not been fixed yet. I'd like to be able to test the things that have been reported as being fixed though to confirm that they have indeed been fixed.

10 minutes ago, theBlackshot said:

https://pastebin.com/vrzy7pgU

that stack trace part keeps repeating itself to infinity. The console.txt was 200mb

playing with the Super Survivors mod by any chance?

Could it be that you left the binding for "Call closest Group Member" free or at something invalid?

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
[...]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 'Call Closest Group Member' not found!

1 hour ago, nasKo said:
playing with the Super Survivors mod by any chance?

Could it be that you left the binding for "Call closest Group Member" free or at something invalid?

I did and I added a key to leave none of the bindings without input and I still couldn't get through. After that I decided to unsubscribe some mods including Super Survivors which didn't get me further as well (though I only waited for like 10 seconds once I was at character loading. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, theBlackshot said:

I did and I added a key to leave none of the bindings without input and I still couldn't get through. After that I decided to unsubscribe some mods including Super Survivors which didn't get me further as well (though I only waited for like 10 seconds once I was at character loading. 

That sounds exactly like the problem I have. Is there any chance that you have other devices attached to your computer? Some joystick or pedals or other HID/USB?

I get stuck on the character texturepack screen unless I detach my saitek combat rudder pedals and my button box.

Edited by Leoquent

On 12/17/2018 at 11:12 AM, Leoquent said:

That sounds exactly like the problem I have. Is there any chance that you have other devices attached to your computer? Some joystick or pedals or other HID/USB?

I get stuck on the character texturepack screen unless I detach my saitek combat rudder pedals and my button box.

Of course! Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that makes the controllertest unplayable to me as my Steam Controller being plugged in was the problem. I pull it out / disconnect it, game reacts and functions, it's in, no reaction, frozen.

The Controller configuration is already on gamepad, hence xinput emulation.

https://pastebin.com/WmH8LbRL

Edited by theBlackshot

Hello there !

What controller are you using?

Wired Xbox 360

Does the controller work?

Yep, I just had to invert y axis for both joysticks.

Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

So the first times i tried this controller build i confess i didn't pay much attention to it, as i mostly wanted to play. This time i looked into it, and 3 things bugged me :

So terms are dev oriented (togglemode...) and so unclear

I didn't found a way to assign nothing to a button. I mean that when you click a drop down menu, there is no <none> option.

I would like to have more option : Select the organisation of radial menus, assign a button/joystick/pressed joystick to reload guns, to zoom in/out, to toggle walk/sprint. While not everyone may use this last option for example (as i personnaly think it's fine to walk/run only with the joystick), it's nice to have the choice.

How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

I must say it feels better and better !

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Having a reload option (sorry if it exists already)

Maybe have a thin line indicating precisely where your character is aiming. I don't really know if it's a good idea, it maybe have to be tested in-game to see how it feels.

I want to open the interact windows with X and select the option I want with X. I think it would be more ergonomic than opening with X and validate with A.

OR  : Open the windows with X, selecting the option by pressing X multiple times ( each time I press it select the option below the one currently highlighted) and validate with A. It would reduce the number of movement needed.

Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

Yep and while the gamepad player is globally a little bit slower at scavenging and selecting things, it's really fun, especially once i realized i could move to inventory windows of the keyboard player (stupid me). No freeze or lags.

One thing that may be optimized is the size of the window for the gamepad player. PZ is a game with a lot of windows, and during splitscreen, there is twice the number of windows for half the space, which felt a little oppressive and ugly : all these black boxes over this beautiful world.

Maybe add an option to reduce the opacity of the windows could help.

In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I'm still very reluctant to it. Zombies are to dangerous to stop.

What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

Sometimes when I want to enter a car it doesn't work and i have to move a little bit closer or further from the car. Nothing game breaking but could be a problem when in a hurry.

Breaking certain windows with the B button doesn't work.

BIGGEST PROBLEM  : If i press X with nothing to interact nearby, the game doesn't open a windows, which is normal BUT consider that a windows is open. So i have to press B to close this windows that doesn't appear on the screen. Frustrating because i died to that grrrr.

This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

No particular problem

What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

If i press X with nothing to interact nearby, the game doesn't open a windows, which is normal BUT consider that a windows is open. So i have to press B to close this windows that doesn't appear on the screen. Frustrating because i died to that grrrr.

On 11/23/2018 at 2:59 AM, Pandorea said:

Are you on the right build? (just covering all the bases here)

Also, before doing anything else, delete Joypad / Gamepad folders and gamepadBinding.config file in your Users > Zomboid folder.

One thing I can suggest is this: once in game, press A > a popup should appear in top-left corner of the screen > select "Take over player 1" > do that. This should hopefully enable you to interact with the world.

I'm definitely on the right build. I'll test your suggestions asap if it's still live. Been dealing with a family crisis

Hi i see that most of the bugs that i had are gone, but some are still here;
1- The R2 and L2 doesn't do anything, they say tht L2 is melee and R2 is rackweapon (i'm using the hardcore mode for reloading) but they are useless in game. and the melee really is the L1 
2- The R1 uses the weapon that i equipped, but it is also the button tha makes the player sees further and i'm not able to change that. Please fix that because it makes really hard to play, making the camera "shake" whey attaking and impossible to use the see further "ability".
3- the last problem is that i can't reload weapons without enter the inventary and do it manually 

Edited by bragaralho

Sorry I'm a few months late, been busy with work but man I love playing this game with a controller more then I do with a keyboard :D

1. What controller are you using? Playstation 4 Dualshock controller (Magma Red)
  2. Does the controller work? The controller does indeed work
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? It did work, but took me some time to get use to it as this is the first time I've used a controller on a PC
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? My controller, in game, felt more natural to me. All the controlls/buttons was their in my hands instead of spread across a flat surface (keyboard). I feel like a controller is more natural to this game.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? I think the area on the left joystick between running and walking could be increased, I ran more then I walked because the walking area was small to me on the joystick, I'd say maybe find a use for the touchpad on the PS4 controller but then thats controller specific and I feel avoiding controller specific buttons (a button on one controller but not on another) would be a great thing
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I do not have anyone to split screen with so no.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? Honestly I'd prefer you to keep it the way it is, but it might benefit more people if you set it to control the survivor or navigate the UI, I guess here it depends on the person and the popularity of each option.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? My weirdness has nothing with the game, just a cord that didn't want to detect the controller at first for my PC :P
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? Peformance for me went way down, it was very laggy to me but my laptop only has 4GB of ram and is using an integraded HD graphics chip [cant afford to upgrade to a better laptop atm] but other then that the controls worked well and UI was easy to navigate
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? For me, it would be performance on laptops because it's getting to the point that I won't be able to play a game I love until I upgrade to a laptop that can handle it, which I can't afford at the moment.

1. Xbox 360 controller
  2. Yes it does
  3. It works well and I didn’t use it much since the default bindings are good for me
  4. At first it feld kind of weird, but after a  few minutes it’s almost like a second mouse and keyboard
  5. I don’t really need it changed
  6. I play splitscreen alot with my brother and i experienced the beta for the first time while playing splitscreen with him.
  7. I’d rather still be able to move around while using my inventory and preventing me from doing this would probably make me only use the inventory when not in a fight (fallout 1 style)
  8. Sometimes I had to reboot the game because it wouldn’t recognzie the joystick but it works now
  9. The game works better than before on both 4k and full hd
  10. I don’t really have any problems.
Edited by Wilson2D

1. What controller are you using? xbox 360
  2. Does the controller work? yes
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? yes, the customization makes sense. 
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? the controls feel smooth if you have played with a controller
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? i think something has to be done with the left joystick since I'm constantly running instead of walking
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? no
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? being able to move while in a container helps me avoid zombies and surprises so this would limit my play style
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? sometimes my controller gets disconnected or isn't recognized and i have to restart the game
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? i can't really say much since i only have a 1080p monitor but it feels smoother
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?  trying to make the inventory movement and controls more fluid since managing my inventory in the game

Just tested it here, and for some reason, both the left and right analog are inverted on the up/down. I looked in the controller "select and test" option, and none of the inverse move or inverse aim checkboxes are selected.

Edit: I'm using a wired xbox 360 controller, btw. Tried closing and opening the game, but the same thing happens.

Edited by Walter Sullivan
Adding more info

Hi there! Update 9 is available.  The update is mainly related to gamepad binding window. Changelog:

• Inventory panel is updated. It's became more userfriendly. You can press 'loot all' by gamepad. Inventory buttons are shown.
• Implemented new change gamepad binding window - for xbox controller version.
• Implemented new change gamepad binding window - for playstation controller version
• Generic controllers are recognized as Xbox One controller by default.
• Unchangeable controls are shown as just label and you can't change them

1 hour ago, Walter Sullivan said:

Just tested it here, and for some reason, both the left and right analog are inverted on the up/down. I looked in the controller "select and test" option, and none of the inverse move or inverse aim checkboxes are selected.

Edit: I'm using a wired xbox 360 controller, btw. Tried closing and opening the game, but the same thing happens.

Have you deleted Gamepads / Joypads folders and that gamepadBinding.config file?

19 minutes ago, Pandorea said:

Have you deleted Gamepads / Joypads folders and that gamepadBinding.config file?

Did that and it's now working, thanks!

The movement is way better since the last time I played(no more stopping and looking at the wrong direction), which is great! But I found the Controller Binding screen kinda confusing: it says that melee is on LT, but LT does nothing and I actually have to use RB, which shows as "ToggleMode". Oh, and it seems tha minimizing/maximizing the game makes the game not recognize the controller anymore, but weirdly I can still "use" it on the test controller screen, but not in the menus or in the game.

The controls are better but I have a problem where Melee doesn't seem to work. Also when I try to change the key bindings and save the keybindings they don't seen to change or work.

Other than that the controls seem more fluent and better since last time I tried. Well done. But if I can't attack hard to play. Good progress so far. Here my Set up.

P.S : also the Y axis for move and Y axis for Aim don't think they work as intended I had to Invert them to be correct and not inverted.

zomboidControlError.thumb.PNG.91e3dc6e135352ce580441d430630546.PNGzomboidControl.thumb.PNG.59a1666716b2e25130198b4f1a6cd7cd.PNG

Edited by GamerUrso

On 1/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, MrHopscotch said:

@Stas from general arcade is macOS support planned? Has this changed since the thread was started? I am willing to test gamepad support on macOS.

+1 for this since I'm eyeing this thread for Linux support as well, and I have a feeling that both will come together :) – especially since Steam/Valve generally seems to focus on improving controllers support in Steam and Linux in general for the Proton and the likes. I'll dig out my old Xbox 360, PS3-compatible afteermarket or regular controllers for that, even if I generally prefer KB+M :).

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic