Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

What controller are you using?

ps3 controller mapped as 360 with scptoolkit

Does the controller work? 

yes , out of the box ,

Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

the name for binds are kind of dev terms but it could change in the final build , the customization menu has limitations such as , cannot bind d pad , stick buttons , and the triggers not working in game (the actions are bounded to bumpers instead , so , if i hold right bumper , it would pan the camera around and melee at the same time ) , it could be improved by adding multiple bindings and context menu changes for using another buttons , like the A button for interact for example ... 

How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

inventory navigation is kind off with the bumpers changing containers , it could be better if the layout of the inventory screen changed to be like , containers on top from the left to the right , it could improve circling around then , using the radial menus is cool and actually good

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

smash window option fixes , double button functions , like press|hold , free Binding , better inventory screen and adjusting to other resolutions

Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

yes , just bought the game for that option , it is a great game to play single player too , and i have a brother who plays split-screen with me , the split-screen is so nice , theres not enough games that supports this today (for pc AND for consoles ... shame ) and seeing independent games like this bringing this options could be relevant to the mainstream in general (triple A industries are kind of lazy in this aspect)   

In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

i think you could put like two ways , if we could move , then you could change the d-pad to navigate menus while we can walk around and aim dealing with those scary zombie close calls , stopping the d-pad from registering radial menus and locking the interaction keys to the menus instead etc ...

or we could stand still like in zombieU(zombie now) and be more careful about those situation that we could use inventory/crafting/healing/skills screens

What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

you could make the gamepad type selectable so , 360 , ps3

, ps4 , X One change the image of controller and button prompts to respective buttons , 

This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

my game runs fine and my fps is limited to 30 or 24 for split-screen (not high end pc)

i was having a major bug , ps3 in direct input (without scptoolkit) , was locking the game , putting the console loading in an loop displaying last error forever and trying to read the controller , when i unplug the pad , it loads to the main menu , even with x360ce/xoutput wrapper , however scptoolkit hides de directinput mode and put a fake 360 controller which i control with the ps3 controller , so , some direct input devices can lock the game giving loop untill you unplug and then the game loads fine

On 12/4/2018 at 9:23 AM, Name1234 said:

has this been updated/fixed? i couldnt do much playing with it previously. for me it was totally broken. i dont have net at home so i cant upgrade/downgrade whenever.

I forgot to mention this but if you're using a playstation controller and you previously used a 3rd party driver like SCP make sure you uninstall it. And in general for anyone using a PS controller try uninstalling its drivers(it will just appear as 'wireless controller' in your device manager) and then reinstalling the drivers. You can reinstall Playstation controller drivers by pushing the tiny button located in the hole on the back left side of the controller.

Even though I haven't used it in a long time the SCP driver was interfering with the games detection of my controller. I unistalled the SCP driver as well as the driver for the dual shock 4 controller and then reinstalled it by pushing that button and afterwards the game detected it properly.

If the patch is 'totally broken' for you it's probably a driver issue or else you just didn't enable the controller through steam.

Edited by Igams
Spelling

Gamepad Test Build - Version 7 Released

• Fixed: change inventory button has no effect - inventory open by Y button still.
• Fixed: Game doesn't save changed sizes of the columns in inventory (column size changed automatically.)
• Survival guide border looks better in gamepad focus
• Fixed: sometimes game not focused on help window after game loading finished
• Fixed: Add a notification along the lines of "Use X to switch to gamepad" (Any gamepad control can activate gamepad.)
• Fixed: Can't close "version update" window with a gamepad

1. What controller are you using?     Logitec Xbox-mapped controller.
  2. Does the controller work?    Yes, works pretty good.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?    It's a lot better than the previous version, had no issues with it.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?    Feels ok, I have a preference for the keyboard, so it's getting some used to.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?   I think more Radials an toggles will improve the feel a bit more, but might feel a bit broken
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?    I have not tried split-screen.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?     Think it might feel bad getting attacked and not being able to "react" because you couldn't close the menu fast enough. Feels bad accidently moving at the same time also, so I I suppose it would depend on how it was implemented.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?     Haven't encountered addition bugs or weirdness yet.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?      I haven't had any perfomance issues since before or after the update.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?     The inventory and character screen issue.   Most of my in-game actions seem to always be inventory management, looting, checking skills, etc. Getting the feel right is important.

Not sure I've added much to help, but looking foward to the future of PZ. Keep up the good work! :)

I was thinking that it would be nice to navigate containers by tapping the shoulder bumpers to cycle through them as normal, but by holding down the shoulder bumper you could use the D-Pad to move up and down through the list of containers. I was thinking you could also click the right analog stick while holding down the shoulder bumper for the inventory window you want to cycle through the sorting options. Without holding the shoulder bumper clicking the right analog stick in would expand or collapse a stack of items. I've been trying to think of ways to do what the people using keyboard and mouse can do at present and have it work with the current controller configuration as well as being user friendly. I like controller configurations that are comfortable and easy to use and don't require too many finger gymnastics to get working.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Igams said:

How was it not working for you? It took me a bit of legwork to get the patch working for me as well. What kind of controller are you using? Definitely seems like there are issues with any non-Xbox controller atm at least from my experience(on a Sony DS4) and from what I've read in the thread.

Also, if you're worried about switching between the stable branch and this beta because of your network issues you could try making backup installations. That way you can just manually switch between the branches instead of letting steam handle it.

I cant remember if i even know how to do a backup install. I'd have to just get an installer or the game files and put them in another folder yea?

anyway i'm using an xbox1 controller. i just couldn't do anything really. i couldnt open doors or do a whole lot. moving around it would tend to turn me in circles when i stopped moving. basically it works on the regular version as much as it can outside of some issues with the context menu items using the controller where i need to do a mouseclick.

1. What controller are you using?
8Bitdo N30 pro wireless controller (xinput). All references to button inputs will be referring to xbox equivalent buttons, not the 8bitdo's button layout.

2. Does the controller work?
Yes? Well, it's connected and generally functioning in game, but experiencing the problem detailed below in #8.

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
cannot unselect options from numerous buttons: y, L-Trigger, R-Trigger, R, X

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?
Needs a toggle walk/run button for the analog stick

5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?
Allow the D-Pad to be used instead of the analogue stick for precision movement

6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
No

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
I feel like having a togglable option in the menu to switch to a control scheme similar to Monster Hunter would be appropriate; however i'm a big proponent of using the D-Pad to move rather than to navigate menus. Perhaps have the d-pad control character movement until a menu is opened but have the analog stick always control character movement even while in a menu?

8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
When I start attacking, the game spams melee attacks and locks me into position until I hit the B button, which seems to cancel the auto-attack "stance". No other button input will work when doing so, other than using the L-stick or R-stick to aim.

9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
No

10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
Stop that awful level up yodeling.

Edited by Genari
controller is an N30, not N20

1) What controller are you using?

8bitdo nes30 pro gamepad, set to xinput (simulating an xbox controller, all of my references to buttons will be referencing the x-box button layout)

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick/dp/B018K3Q4KS

2) Does the controller work?

Yes...ish. The controller settings "FAQ" ingame says to use steam big picture to "automagically" configure the controller... I have absolutely no idea how to use bigpicture mode, but I tried anyway, and it messed everything up until I undid it and ran the game normally. Then it all worked fine.

3) How's the gamepad customization screen?

An unreadable mess, I studied it for 5 minutes and came to the conclusion that I was just going to have to mash buttons until I figure out what they do. I still have no idea what the trigger buttons do, or why so many of the buttons were mapped to absolutely nothing when they actually did have uses ingame. (see picture1.jpg)

...Also, using the button test shows that all the buttons work properly. Press A+Y to stop? okay... it didn't stop... the controller preview buttons are still lighting up, and the menus start to behave unpredictably like only some buttons were released. Ultimately I alt+f4'd to fix it. (see picture2.jpg, the mystery box in the bottom right appeared and climbed in number from d-pad input)

4) How does your gamepad feel in-game? Has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

It's completely unplayable. I had to turn zombie population to "none" in order to be able to test it because I can't stop accidentally sprinting and drawing attention to myself, a sprint toggle is an absolute must. 

...Also, when I'm sneaking up to smack a zombie from behind, and I press the attack button, the screen decides to zoom suddenly and jarringly and very very far away, and much further than I can usually move it with the mouse. Scouting and attacking cannot be the same button, that's a problem, because I also want to be able to see into the distance without swinging my weapon.

...And, why is there a shove button? (left bumper) With mouseclicks, shoving happens automatically depending on proximity to my target, it's intuitive and works super well and I have no idea why I would ever need a second button for this.

5) How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Having 3 d-pad directions for quick-equip seems wasteful, instead, d-pad up could show the same options as pressing 1, 2, 3 has on keyboard, showing only the "best" weapon of various categories. That way, the right d-stick could be for highlighting the moodlits... yes I still mouseover the moodlets, all the time, I feel blind and weird not being able to see tooltips for various things.

2nd: the out-of-game menus are a bit confusing, I kept moving the cursor to "save/load preset" and then tapping right and wondering why the next button wasn't becoming highlighted. I eventually figured out that I needed to back up a step for the "next" button to be replaced with a controller button prompt, which I didn't do instinctively because I assumed pressing B would back me out of the menu I was in. (see picture3.jpg)

3rd: Foraging menu works great, but I'd like a button to quickly start the action without having to scroll down past all of the options. I set the option the first time, and I just want to repeat the last forage command again.

6) Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

No, it's too early for this I think.

7) Can we stop you in menus?

Please don't, I often open the inventory menu and then walk around to glance very quickly into all the containers and dead bodies I walk past. For the record, this is fantastic on controller, scavenging feels AMAZING as-is and I might have a hard time going back to mouse and keyboard after this.

8) What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

When I hit X, A X and Y suddenly stop working, and all my input prompts vanish. Turns out, this is because I pressed it while there were no context sensitive options available. It still acted like the menu had opened, but it was invisible because there was no actions to take, so I had to press B to tell it that I didn't want to do anything to get my buttons back.

9) This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

Inconclusive. I had no issues, which is a big deal for my weakling laptop, but I also turned off zombies so I can't say anything for sure.

10) What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved?

I want more control over how my camera moves around during sneak mode. I'm not sure how, this seems like a difficult problem to solve, because I sometimes also need the sneak mode simply to move around quietly or aim my attacks without looking far off into the distance too.

Note: I didn't test firearms at all.

COMPLIMENT TIME

I feel like my test essay was very negative, but those problems aside, I am super excited for controller support to be fully ironed out, even moreso than before I tested it! (and I was pretty excited before) What parts of it did work, worked REALLY well, and I was grinning ear to ear my first time hopping into a van and driving around at full speed, without any problems or confusions at all. The menu I found to turn the key was a nice solution to what I thought would be a hard problem! I also really liked how the bumpers flip through inventory pages, it's extremely intuitive.

picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

picture3.jpg

So, I've played with a gamepad for a several hours, and here's my review:

1.      What controller are you using? — Xbox One S Wireless Controller.

2.      Does the controller work? — Perfectly, all axes do fine.

3.      Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? — As I have Xbox Controller, it is fully relevant to my device, but I guess not everybody owns Xbox Gamepad, so it would be nice to add more controllers in there.

4.      How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? — 1) Remembering my PC experience, I can say that it is much more convenient to use a mousepad. I also guess that since I play PZ for the first time with a gamepad, that can be exactly the reason why I am not able to feel myself fully comfortable with any other type of controlling; 2) You also can’t control Pause Menu with a gamepad but I guess you’ll definitely fix that in stable build; 3) It is not that convenient to control any devices that are in game. For example, vehicle radio control is a bit weird: to increase/decrease volume meter, you have set the right volume level and wait until your character will do it on their own. I assume it would be more practical if you let some button switch the volume level instead of just waiting. And one more thing about exactly radios is frequencies. The controls while you are trying to set some frequency is a mess, for me though. Trying to edit some preset caused misunderstandings with buttons, as many players used to have the B button do ‘Back’ action, for example. It is inconvenient personally for me, though.

5.      How would you like your gamepad play further improved? — I recommend you to add some kinda target lock. As a knife weapon user, close distance fights provide a little uncomfortable experience, when you have to aim manually instead of just choosing the target. I also suggest that it could be disabled, ‘cause this feature would only be a problem if you decided to use axe or baseball bat.

6.      Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? — I would very like to provide you a full report, if only I had someone to play with ;).

7.      In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? — I guess, the game will become more passive then. There are some situations when you need to move fast, to search through containers rapidly and go on moving. In my opinion, forbidding player’s movement while looting isn’t necessary

8.      What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? — When there are two windows nearby and you use X to open Context Menu to choose Climb Through function instead of pressing B to make the same action happen, a character can use not the closest windows you wanted him to, but another one.

9.      This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? — It is difficult for me to say about performance, ‘cause I have a laptop with 16GB RAM and i7 7700HQ, but PZ had worked absolutely smooth yet on 1920x1080 res. To check out performance improvement, I set up a massacre with a pistol and a shotgun. It still runs at 40-50 FPS with maxed out graphic settings and a picture on the screen like I uploaded.

10.  What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? — There actually two of them: 1) target lock while fighting; 2) backlight for items/containers/doors/etc. that could be interact with the X button.

P.S. I've been with you guys since Build 19, and it's really awesome to see how favourite game had been developed yet, even if it is developed kinda slowly. GJ on that, looking forward to next updates!

3.png

21 hours ago, Name1234 said:

I cant remember if i even know how to do a backup install. I'd have to just get an installer or the game files and put them in another folder yea?

anyway i'm using an xbox1 controller. i just couldn't do anything really. i couldnt open doors or do a whole lot. moving around it would tend to turn me in circles when i stopped moving. basically it works on the regular version as much as it can outside of some issues with the context menu items using the controller where i need to do a mouseclick.

Sorry I can't help with an Xbox controller(I'm using a DS4). But I'd say give the patch another go as they've been updating it frequently and generally Xbox controllers seem to be responding better to the patch.

Go to your steam library and right-click Project Zomboid and click backup game files from the drop down menu. I would name it something like "Project Zomboid Main Branch Backup". It will create an image file of the games current version in the steam backups folder by default.

Now update to the controller beta. Once you've switched over to the beta, backup the game again in the same manner(right click PZ and click backup game files). Name this backup something like "Project Zomboid Controller Beta".

To have Steam switch between those back ups use steams Backup and Restore Wizard, accessed by clicking Steam in the upper left-hand corner of the steam app. You simply open the wizard and it will guide you to the steam backups folder where you select the backup that you want to use. Now you can just use that to switch between the Stable branch and Controller beta even when you're offline.

The other way would just be to manually copy the games files over and just switching them out when you want to, but the Steams Backup and Restore Wizard is a lot less of a hassle.

Screenshot_48.jpg

I finally got a chance to try out the latest build, and other than the controller test pictured below the game is not detecting my controller at all it seems.

ProjectZomboid64_2018-12-09_06-33-08.thumb.png.b9578be38045ddfef39cd30eb9d16b48.png

I can not navigate through any of the menus. When I start my game I can't even start it because it asks me to hit X on my PS4 controller, but when I do nothing happens. I can't even start the game from that point using keyboard or mouse inputs. I was also having issues with the game not starting if I tried changing the game from windowed to borderless windowed and then restarting the game. It would always hang after loading the character textures but before the game actually loads and the main menu appears.

4 minutes ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I can not navigate through any of the menus. When I start my game I can't even start it because it asks me to hit X on my PS4 controller, but when I do nothing happens. I can't even start the game from that point using keyboard or mouse inputs. I was also having issues with the game not starting if I tried changing the game from windowed to borderless windowed and then restarting the game. It would always hang after loading the character textures but before the game actually loads and the main menu appears.

Did you clean user zomboid files before test? PS4 controller works well in current game build.  If you are using some software for PS4 controller you should remove/disable it and reinstall ps4 controller drivers.  And why do you think game didn't detect you controller? As I see on your screenshot your game detect PS4 controller correctly. 

34 minutes ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Did you clean user zomboid files before test? PS4 controller works well in current game build.  If you are using some software for PS4 controller you should remove/disable it and reinstall ps4 controller drivers.  And why do you think game didn't detect you controller? As I see on your screenshot your game detect PS4 controller correctly.

I'm not sure what's going on. I've been deleting the files like I usually do when testing out the controller build. Earlier I removed all drivers and reset my controller to factory settings and reinstalled the drivers as I've seen recommended here. I wonder if it may have been because I forgot to set the Forced Off setting on Steam the first time I tried this build. I shut down the game and changed the setting to Forced Off and the game detected the controller properly as a PS4 controller this time instead of an Xbox One controller. I've unplugged and plugged in the controller again as well. The game seems to know the controller is there, but isn't responding to any of the inputs for some reason. I switched back to IWBUMS to see if there was some other issue I wasn't aware of, but everything seems to be working just fine. I'm going to switch back in a bit and see if I can get things working. I'll update after I do.

Update: I'm still having the same issue. The game knows I have a PS4 controller so it is detecting it. It detects and lets me use the controller on the testing screen. It's just outside of that my controller is entirely unresponsive. At times like this I wish I wasn't so tech clueless.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Updated original post.

Hi. I have recently had the opportunity to test out the controller build, and here are my findings.

What controller are you using?

I have used both a Xinput xbox 360 controller, and a Dinput generic controller.

Does the controller work?

The xbox controller works fine, mostly, with some bizarre occasions where the game would not register any actions for the button presses (even though it was still registering the actual button presses.)I think this might have had something to do with the controller disconnecting and being reconnected or something to that effect(It would be really nice if the game would recognise that a controller has been plugged in without needing a restart. Don't know the feasability of this). I did find that the advanced audio menu in options caused this behaviour aswell.

The Dinput generic controller, however had a wierd issue where the buttons where mapped completely wrong, (e.g. the game thought Y is A, down on the left analog is left trigger, and the triggers are back and start.)

Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

The new gamepad menu was great, however, aside from the Dinput controller issues, I noticed that logically, the bumper drop down menu should really be below the trigger one. It didn't line up with the controller picture. Somethings that I think would greatly improve the menu: Have line traces coming from the drop down boxes to whichever button they correspond to. This would make it a lot more intuitive as to which drop down affects which button (though it was pretty good anyway.) It would also be nice to have any option that there is for pc keyboard bindings in the drop down (even if they're all not used.)For example an event for starting a car engine that you can bind if you so wish, or a horn/shout key bind event. It would also be nice to be able to remap the d-pad.
I think it would also be nice to have the option to change the button prompts to playstation button prompts, for people who use playstation controllers.

I think the FAQ page was quite confusing, at least for me, as there where no real answers to frequently asked questions on controllers there.

How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

The gamepad ingame felt fairly good. I had issues where the character would randomly stop sprinting for some reason, but that could possible be due to over sensive dead zones for the analog input.

There is a strange issue when the game is paused, the "take over player1, add player, cancel" menu you get when you activate your controller, doesn't register any button presses.

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

I think the new game menu would greatly benefit from bumper support for the "next" and "back" buttons, and I also think  having the option to map one of the controller sticks to a cursor would help with navigating some of the more "mouse & keyboard" designed interfaces, e.g. the level up menu, or the device options menu.

I also think a the option for a "favourites" radial menu would be more useful than the current weapon equip radial menus (or keeping both and having the option for switching between both systems.) (Where it's a radial menu that lets you select any of your favourited items.) This could also benefit M&KB users (perhaps letting you set custtom hotkeys for each favourite slot (e.g. 1-9).

Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

Yes split screen is great. I would like a more clear way of opening the "take over player1, add player, cancel" menu (as currently it's not very clear as to whether you can switch between controll of player 1 or adding player 2 without reconnecting the controller.)
It would aslo be very helpful if the M&KB player's inventory would resize to take advantage of half the screen automatically.
I think the only other thing for split screen to be even better is if in a savegame description it would show you whether there is a player 2 (or 3 or 4) in that particular save (So you can separate your MP saves from your SP saves easier.)

In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I personally think this is a horrible idea, however I am not against restricting looking  while a menu is open, and instead binding the second analog stick to a cursor for use in menus.

What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

Aside from the ones mentioned above, the only other wierd thing was that there was some strangeness with getting into a car in split screen. Player 2 occaisonally had trouble getting into the vehicle (It didn't seem to register the A button press.)

This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

It's hard for me to tell on this new beefy system of mine, but I didn't notice any performance decrease, so  that's a good thing.

What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

For me personally, it would be the easier navigation of menus, as I feel that playing with a controller at the moment has quite a disadvantage speed wise compared to mouse and keyboard. I think a cursor could be the easiest solution to the above problem, and possible a more intuitive way of selecting multiple items and drag/dropping them.

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I'm not sure what's going on. I've been deleting the files like I usually do when testing out the controller build. Earlier I removed all drivers and reset my controller to factory settings and reinstalled the drivers as I've seen recommended here. I wonder if it may have been because I forgot to set the Forced Off setting on Steam the first time I tried this build. I shut down the game and changed the setting to Forced Off and the game detected the controller properly as a PS4 controller this time instead of an Xbox One controller. I've unplugged and plugged in the controller again as well. The game seems to know the controller is there, but isn't responding to any of the inputs for some reason. I switched back to IWBUMS to see if there was some other issue I wasn't aware of, but everything seems to be working just fine. I'm going to switch back in a bit and see if I can get things working. I'll update after I do.

Update: I'm still having the same issue. The game knows I have a PS4 controller so it is detecting it. It detects and lets me use the controller on the testing screen. It's just outside of that my controller is entirely unresponsive. At times like this I wish I wasn't so tech clueless.

I have had similar issues with an xbox controller. Your not the only one! (btw try restarting your game with the controller plugged in before you start the game. see if that fixes it...)

On 12/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, Kaleidozombie said:

Have you been using keyboard / mouse to start the game and then try to switch to a controller from inside of the game? That part is broken, reported and awaiting a fix atm.

 What controller are you using?

·      Xbox 360 wireless controller.

  Does the controller work?

·      Yes, the controller works fine, no problems.

  Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

·      It kind of works. The keybinding layout makes sense for my controller because it is functionally very similar to the one depicted. What’s been confusing for me is what toggleMode and toggleInventory are supposed to do. Additionally, melee is just a push, and there seems to be no specific button for attacking. Some buttons have key bindings but are not shown in the customization menu. Changing the keybinds of some buttons doesn’t work (left & right bumpers)

  How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

·      Playing with a gamepad actually comes pretty naturally, I didn’t expect it to be so smooth. However, having sprint be bound to the left stick and not to a button is somewhat frustrating. It makes sneaking in tough situations more difficult.

  How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

·      A button for sprint would be great!

·      The ability to highlight multiple items for inventory management.

·      Being able to zoom in and out more seamlessly

  Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

·      Sorry, I don’t play this game in split-screen.

  In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

·      I would definitely be more careful when looting buildings, because I’d have to account for not being able to run when things get iffy.

  What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

·      If you press the interact button (for me it was X) when there nothing to interact with, part of the HUD disappears (X and Y button hints on the bottom left of the screen) and you can’t interact with anything until you press B, then everything works again.

  This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

·      I haven’t noticed much of a change.

  What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

·      Being able to change the binding of right bumper. Currently it works as a look ahead & attack button, which makes it really frustrating when you need to adjust your orientation mid-fight and the camera keeps moving in your new orientation.

Gamepad Test Build 8 Released

• Fixed it being possible to set same action to multiple buttons
• Fixed it being possible to reassign A / B / X / Y to anything, but it remaining as the defaults on the game screen
• Fixed not all fields in the gamepad bindings window having an empty option
• Fixed RuntimeException and being stuck in main menu when changed options are not accepted
• Fixed not being able to change back to controller in game
• Fixed issues when layout of guide windows is saved and guide window became disabled by default gamepad and given wrong focus
• Fixed not being able to aim or attack when inventory / any panel is opened

1. What controller are you using?
    My trusty 8 year old Xbox 360 Controller (Wired)
  2. Does the controller work?
    Flawlessly.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
    It's relevant in my case, but it recognizes it as a XB1 controller instead of a 360 controller. In my opinion it would make sense to have a list of the actions and place a button icon on the right side of it, instead of having the drop-down menus, the tabs indicating player or vehicle controls are fine.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?
    This is the fourth time I've used it with this game, the player model freezes when walking and aiming at certain angles (wasn't this fixed in a previous update?). If I remember correctly it used to let me toggle run by pressing the left stick, now it doesn't do anything. Neither LT or RT do anything.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?
    LS to toggle run/walk, RS to toggle turning around or looking in the distance, LT/RT or both to ignore UI and perform actions regardless, and as Afekay said, button presses for important/relevant actions and button holds for the opposite. It would be cool to change your button prompts regardless of the controller you use, for when you are used to other layouts, like the PS layout, for example.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
    Pretty smooth, no performance losses, tried it with my brother and didn't encounter any bugs, sadly I don't have a second controller to test the 3-player bug I kept encountering in previous versions, where the fourth player slot becomes black and the UI render goes crazy, whatever you drag over it stays there and you can "paint" with it, similar to the old windows render glitches.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
    Don't like the idea at all, it would become frustrating to play.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
    Ran into a bug that happened when I used M&KB to launch a solo game, then pressed A in my controller to start the game, it let me run, attack and aim for a few seconds, but it didn't let me press select nor open my inventory, it crashed to the main menu after a few seconds. I was getting annoyed when I pressed RB to attack and the camera moved to where I was aiming.
    Also, I checked the console and it was going crazy, printing this constantly:
  9. pz_console.png.2c68238e53579ddc76d5d39db389667d.png
  10. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
    Maybe in splitscreen, but other than that, the game runs as smooth as always.
  11. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
    Navigation of the UI, maybe add a cursor controlled by RS or shortcuts to navigate to the top or bottom of a list, and change the controller remapping window to a list detailing the controls.

in normal build , the controllers are deactivated by default and you have to turn on what you'll be using for the game , in this build , the generic gamepad that windows puts in first is always selected as default so the other controllers don't do anything in the menus , plus i can't play splitscreen in this build because the second xbox  controller is being ignored and just the generic gamepad and the first xbox controller is being recognized by the game , and i'm still having the triggers issue , the bumpers are having double function(from the triggers) and the triggers don't do anything , plus the game is not letting me change bindings for A,B,Y,X and D-Pads,Start,Back just triggers,bumpers and analog sticks , The normal build is great btw

New update. I wanted to attempt the controller test again and was hoping I wouldn't still be having the same issue that I had last time. I started the game and didn't touch anything other than to resize (maximize) the window as the game likes to start in windowed mode after I switch from IWBUMS to Controller Test in the beta options. I should have screenshot it but I didn't think of it at the time (so I will change my build to IWBUMS and back to Controller Test again so I can get a screenshot of it later) but the UI was showing me the button icons for the Xbox One controller. Without touching anything else I tried using the controller and nothing was working. The inputs were not registering at all, or so it seemed. I grabbed the mouse to close the news/patch notes window and that's when the game changed the button icons to those of a PS4 controller. When I tried to use the controller the game was still unresponsive. I went to the controller test area in the options and the game was detecting the controller just fine. I wasn't sure what to do next so I closed out the game.

I restarted the game and made sure not to touch anything again, going so far as to not even resize the window. It was the same as before other than not getting the news/patch notes screen this time around. I closed out the game again and went into the game properties and decided to see what would happen if I changed the settings from Forced Off which I have been using to get the game to properly detect the controller as a PS4 controller to the global Steam Input settings (PS). After starting up the game the game was oddly enough showing me the PS4 icons instead of the Xbox One or Xbox 360 icons. I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and the icon turned into a white square that would not disappear. I was going to close the game out, but because the game was in windowed mode and not maximized or aligned to the screen properly I could see the console window peeking out from behind the game window and it was going crazy. I could not read any of the text at all it was scrolling by so fast. I wanted to find out what was going on, but I'm not sure where to find any of the logs for this if it keeps logs of this activity.

I'm going to do a few more tests and report back what I find and update this post if I learn anything different. I will at least try to add screenshots to show the icons that appear when I start up the game after switching builds.

Update: Posting the screenshots I took after I changed builds back and forth and started the game up again.

ProjectZomboid64_2018-12-14_22-21-18.thumb.png.42638414520b22d65dfc29e7319343ce.png

ProjectZomboid64_2018-12-14_22-21-43.thumb.png.cd9b3c302d8c559d1a9195bf146532dc.png

I also switched from Forced Off to the global Steam Input settings (PS) again but nothing strange happened this time in the console. I wonder if it had to do with unplugging the controller. I'll have to test again later as I still want to get some testing in on the 40.41 build over on SpiffoSpace. I notice that usually the light on my PS4 controller in the back is usually lit up, but it seems like when doing the controller test the light shuts off and stays off until I exit the game. It works just fine on IWBUMS and the stable build.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Adding additional information.

20 hours ago, xLokirx said:

in normal build , the controllers are deactivated by default and you have to turn on what you'll be using for the game , in this build , the generic gamepad that windows puts in first is always selected as default so the other controllers don't do anything in the menus , plus i can't play splitscreen in this build because the second xbox  controller is being ignored and just the generic gamepad and the first xbox controller is being recognized by the game , and i'm still having the triggers issue , the bumpers are having double function(from the triggers) and the triggers don't do anything , plus the game is not letting me change bindings for A,B,Y,X and D-Pads,Start,Back just triggers,bumpers and analog sticks , The normal build is great btw

..Really, all in one sentence?.. You're not making my life easy :)

So what you're saying is: if there are more than one controller plugged in, only first one will be operational in menues?.. The bit about splitscreen: how many controllers were there? (xbone 1st, xbone 2nd and generic?) and did two of them work and one didn't? (apologies, English is not my native language so I do get lost sometimes :) )

Finally, triggers issue has been noted by everyone but it hasn't been fixed yet; and some bindings options have been removed because they were causing more issues then they were solving by being available (see update post above).

6 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

New update. I wanted to attempt the controller test again and was hoping I wouldn't still be having the same issue that I had last time. I started the game and didn't touch anything other than to resize (maximize) the window as the game likes to start in windowed mode after I switch from IWBUMS to Controller Test in the beta options. I should have screenshot it but I didn't think of it at the time (so I will change my build to IWBUMS and back to Controller Test again so I can get a screenshot of it later) but the UI was showing me the button icons for the Xbox One controller. Without touching anything else I tried using the controller and nothing was working. The inputs were not registering at all, or so it seemed. I grabbed the mouse to close the news/patch notes window and that's when the game changed the button icons to those of a PS4 controller. When I tried to use the controller the game was still unresponsive. I went to the controller test area in the options and the game was detecting the controller just fine. I wasn't sure what to do next so I closed out the game.

I restarted the game and made sure not to touch anything again, going so far as to not even resize the window. It was the same as before other than not getting the news/patch notes screen this time around. I closed out the game again and went into the game properties and decided to see what would happen if I changed the settings from Forced Off which I have been using to get the game to properly detect the controller as a PS4 controller to the global Steam Input settings (PS). After starting up the game the game was oddly enough showing me the PS4 icons instead of the Xbox One or Xbox 360 icons. I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and the icon turned into a white square that would not disappear. I was going to close the game out, but because the game was in windowed mode and not maximized or aligned to the screen properly I could see the console window peeking out from behind the game window and it was going crazy. I could not read any of the text at all it was scrolling by so fast. I wanted to find out what was going on, but I'm not sure where to find any of the logs for this if it keeps logs of this activity.

Disconnecting / reconnecting a controller will result in "white squares" this is a reported issue. The bug of not being able to switch between input modes in menues has not been fixed either (as far as I know).

Apart from that, I cannot reproduce most of the issues you're describing @Kaleidozombie, so here are a few questions:

1) As you've been testing controller build on and off and changing bindings, have you been deleting Gamepad / Joypad folders and the gamepadBinding.config file? 

2) Is there a chance that the controller wasn't plugged in fully? Could it have been briefly disconnected?

3) Do you use Dualshock in SI / IWBUMS too?

4) Do you only use Dualshock?

5) At what point (if any) do you plug in the gamepad? 

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic