Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

1. What controller are you using?

Nintendo Switch PRO Controller & a Logitech F310

2. `Does the controller work?

Switch Controller: This was spotty at best.

Logitech F310: This was a better experience, however still some issues.

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

I had to use the Xbox controller configuration for both switch and f310 which wasn't a big deal. Button layouts were similar and it all made sense.

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

The gamepad doesn't feel too bad to be honest. Getting in the car and driving was very much a struggle. I think having a button popup show what to press in order to perform actions would make things easier.

5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Button remapping needs a bit of work. More reminders of what to press in situations, such as when inside of a car.

6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

I tried split-screen for about an hour. I noticed a few lag spikes and fps loss here and there, especially when inside containers and shifting items around.

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I think you should be able to move with the inventory open. This way you can loot "on the fly" while being chased or be able to loot multiple containers without having to enter and exit the UI every time.

8.What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

Switch Controller: After trying to customize the button layout, the game would sometimes not recognize some buttons at all. Using the right stick to aim would just stop working sometimes. The melee button was default on the left trigger, but required you to press the left bumper instead. This was using the wired USB to controller option. I have no wireless receiver on my PC.

Logitech F310: Using a melee weapon, while holding right stick to aim, I could only swing a bat using the "toggle mode" button which by default was on right bumper. The "melee" button (still shown on left trigger) does nothing, and pressing left bumper would always push or shove with hands (never swinging bat). EVEN THOUGH holing right stick to aim and swinging with "toggle mode"  button worked, it made the camera do some weird things. The camera would pan very fast to the direction I was aiming and swinging- this made my head hurt so bad.

9. This build also contains a java upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

My computer is kinda beefy, so I didn't really notice anything.

10.What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

Button remapping needs improvement. I don't care to see my specific controller listed, I just want the buttons to do what they say, and work consistently.

Edited by HUNDERPANZER

1.) Nintendo Pro Controller

2.)  Yes

3.) It does work and does make sense, but I think it could use some work. The four main buttons being mapped on the side with no indication of what buttons they are besides the diamond pattern needs to be re-vamped to a more user friendly and labeled system. 

4.) The gamepad in general feels really off. The joystick control doesn't feel like it takes you in the direction it should and the sneaking tied into the aim is a really bad idea.

5.) Make sneaking its own button. Improve the joystick so it moves you in the direction it feels like you should be moving. The looting system isn't terrible but needs improvement. Its hard to navigate everything and takes A LOT of clicks.

6.) I played a short split screen game and performance took a small hit of 20 fps.

7.) Controlling just the UI would be a bad idea for multiplayer. I feel like you would get bitten by zombies while locked into a loot screen and this game is not one you always want to restart. Sometimes when you die you want to stop playing for awhile because of all the work you put into a character and there is no cure for zombification. 

8.) Controlling things like the TV feel way harder and too time consuming than it should be. 

9.) The performance at 2k seems normal to me. I didn't notice any FPS spikes or anything out of the ordinary. 

10.) Add armor to cars. Not just for this beta but to the game itself. Honestly I don't care to much about texture packs and how water looks. Develop mechanics for the game and make skills like first aid get more useful than they are now.

1. What controller are you using? Nintendo Pro Controller
  2. Does the controller work? Yes, even though the Y, X, A, & B buttons are flipped, they still are properly mapped.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? I couldn't get it to work. I changed LZ (left trigger) to also be melee and didn't work. Other than that it seems relevant enough for the Pro Controller. 
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? It feels good, much better than expected to be honest, but I feel like there is a bit of a learning curve. 
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? Things like TV controls are a bit odd at first so I'd like to see something more intuitive. Maybe have the option to have button overlays on the HUD with whatever is mapped to the button in text. Having the option to sneak as an additional button and not tied to aiming. Would like to see full controller support for menus. I think there should be an option to have sprint on a button, maybe with the option to be able to toggle it. Would like to see Official Pro controller layouts as it does support it.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I tried it (just one controller to see how it ran) no hiccups in terms of performance. 
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I like being able to move and use inventory/character windows. I feel like you'd always have to make sure you were safe before you start going into the inventory. With keyboard & mouse I like to play with skills window open and occasionally check tab while running to see if I got scratched/bit.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? After changing controller settings, sometimes it would cause controller to be unresponsive. Occasionally the controller wouldn't be responsive in options.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? It seemed to run a little worse compared to the official build. It was a little choppy here and there but no crashes. I have an i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, R9 290 at 1080p.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? To be able to use the gamepad customization menu, the test works fine but remapping didn't work for me. 
Edited by spalding1250
Typo - changed Steam to Pro

hey I'm really glad that you guy are giving that much attention to controllers, I have always prefer to play with it, sorry for my poor english /:

1- I'm using a ps4 controller
2-yes
3-yes it works, but some options are missing like the R1 says that has nothing on it but in game it makes you se further
4-i don't know if i'm missing some or now you only can push zombies if you are near them, before the push and using a melee weapon were on diferent buttons, the same applies to stomping on zombies
5-there are some windows that aren't interactives with the controller, like the one that show updates and the one with the cars tuturial
6-the first time I tried it crashed the game, but that only happened once
7-I prefer the it is now
8-every time i close my inventory my character makes the push animation and that stops any other interection, if you try to open a window while sprinting the character some times breaks the window instead and passes through the broken glass, cutting himself
9-no, the game ran the same way as always
10-pushes and stomps on different buttons and the problem on closing the inventory

thanks for the opportunity for helping, I love the game and I can't wait for the animations

1. What controller are you using? Xbox 360 Wired Controller
  2. Does the controller work? Yes
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? There are few options, and it's a bit confusing
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? I can't stomp instead of using my weapon on a corpse on the ground
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? There are some windows with I can't interact using the gamepad
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I don't
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I'd rather be able to move while the windows are open. I'd have to be much more careful while managing the inventory.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? When I close the inventory, the character automatically pushes. That doesn't happen when I open it.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? No, performance is the same
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? The non interactable windows

SIXAXIS/DUALSHOCK PS3

2. Does the controller work?

Yes.

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

Yes, it's much better than i expected and i didn't have any problems.

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

It feels great, specially in combat, i personally felt like it was easier to fight the zombies, but i spent way too much time looting, since you can only pick one item at the time. Would also be nice to be able to toggle between sprinting and walking.

Sometimes the windows are interactable.

No

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I personally think that is vital to be able to do both and it would be impossible to loot while running from the zombies.

8.What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

No bugs

9. This build also contains a java upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

The FPS dropped twice, but nothing that would make a difference on the gameplay.

10.What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

The interactable windows and being able to toggle between running and walking.

With Update 6 live, I jumped back in:

This is my option screen when loading the game after deleting all files/folders in the zomboid folder related to gamepad bindings:

1.thumb.PNG.d30affdea0ef0ca7243e82e8addecfc4.PNG

In game none of the trigger buttons work or do anything (RT, LT). (Have only tried outside of vehicles)
Without weapon equiped bot RB and LB produce the push attack. Still unsing RB, the camera moves in the same directions, which is annoying :) With weapon equiped RB produces an attack with that weapon (and the mentioned camera movement). With weapon equiped LB produces push action, thats fine - even if it is not mapped in the controller options.

Sometimes when opening the options during gameplay I get this layout:

3.thumb.PNG.9d1625ffd21fd6d8f9578a2e62ab8902.PNG

Note that the RT is gone. Up to now I was not able to get this on purpose.

After accidently binding MOVE to RightStick, the LeftStick looses its binding and the option to select MOVE is gone. After selection of AIMSTICK MOVE reappears for the LeftStick and cn be selected again. AIM is still missing on the RightStick though...:

4.PNG.7291670e0b3542a55bb4d83066a6e7a7.PNG

The keybinding does not work for me. I tried different setups but either nothing changes or in game it changes in a way I never intended. It's mistery to me really.

Besides that the game runs really good with gamepad (as written before) and I am looking forward to more updates on it.

1. What controller are you using? - Speedlink TORID Gamepad - Wireless
  2. Does the controller work? - Yes
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? - I tried to change things semi random and see no problems. Gamepad worked just fine first time i pluged it in.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? - I am slower and unable to change zoom fast. I'm not really a veteran gamepad user.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? - Addition of a info panel with all the controls as a popup on the beginning would be nice. To find out how some things in car works, took me 15 mins.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? - I enabled it just for fun without other person. Did not found anything unusual. Other controller works fine from the beginning
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? - It would be restraining. I am against :)
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?  - Mainly one. I died two times because of that. After pressing "X" when there was nothing to interact All the hud is disappearing and "Lb" "Rb" triggers do not work. Can't interakt or open inventory, untill i press "B".
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? 1920x1080 I saw no changes. 
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? - Issue i mentioned in point 8. I do not believe it was intended, but if it was I' can't understand this mechanic of controller.

I Am player for years and happy to finally contribute to the "project".

You all stay safe and well fed, pals.

I convinced someone else to try out the Controller Test build and you can see us playing together here. I thought that someone who rarely uses controllers but has experience with the game might be able to provide some good feedback as they'd have some new insights that others who typically play with controller might not have. I rewatched the stream and took note of a few things we commented on and wrote it down in notepad. I'll copy and paste it here so others can see.

• Tooltips appear at top of inventory windows even after they've been moved to the top of the screen.
  • X/Square button does a quick move from container to inventory, but not from inventory to container. When quick moving from inventory the items always are transferred to the floor instead of the selected container.
  • UI could use some changes to make it more user friendly. Especially in the main menus. Settings. Character creation. Et cetera.
  • Can't select Random or Play after selecting character traits when using controller only.
  • Game does not remember inventory window settings after making changes when using a controller.
  • When in inventory the triggers should function like the Shift and Ctrl keys (RT/R2 = Shift and LT/L2 = Ctrl).
  • R3 and L3 should have functions in the inventory as well. Perhaps R3 changing the sorting order for each window? L3 expanding and collapsing stacks instead of B/Circle?
  • Using the context menu button (X/Square) when there is nothing to interact with disables most actions until you press the cancel button (B/Circle).
  • Fishtailing vehicles appears to be harder to do on controller compared to keyboard and mouse.
  • Setting that could be set in options: Close inventory window when moving.
    • Any movement.
    • Movement greater than a tile.
    • Et cetera.

Additional: Thinking about it I would also like an option to move items from one container to another like you can move things from your inventory to one of the other bags you have equipped on your back and/or secondary. This is so you could move items from the counter under the sink to the counter next to the stove for instance instead of having to transfer them to your inventory or bag first.

Additional 2: I would also love the option to Turn On and Turn Off the stoves and microwaves while inside the container. The option could be added to the context menu the same way that Transfer All and Loot All were added.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Corrected typo. Added new content.

10 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

Additional: Thinking about it I would also like an option to move items from one container to another like you can move things from your inventory to one of the other bags you have equipped on your back and/or secondary. This is so you could move items from the counter under the sink to the counter next to the stove for instance instead of having to transfer them to your inventory or bag first.

Good idea. I haven't played with key/mouse in a long time but I remember that it was way easier shifting stuff within bags and containers.

And selecting multiple item will come in handy, I guess that's covered above with the RT/RB suggestion, right?

Edited by Collophonius

12 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

On top of container to container it would also be a lot easier to see the ability move from the floor straight to a container added

On 11/27/2018 at 9:05 PM, Dr Zebra said:

Hey, so I went back to play pz with mouse and keyboard and i am MASSIVELY missing the ability to choose where an item goes when you grab it, it was super useful and reduced button clicks/saved time.

Could you please just add that feature to the game for use with mouse and keyboard as well? Thanks

You already can do it by selecting the container first and then RMC > grab item.

Unless I'm misunderstanding completely what you mean here :)

17 hours ago, Pandorea said:

You already can do it by selecting the container first and then RMC > grab item.

Yes, this is something possible on keyboard and mouse. It's not yet possible when using only the controller. We're requesting the ability to do so on controller, or at least something like it. Same function but possibly different inputs on the controller. Maybe after choosing the container you want to move the items from you can then select a command from the context menu and then use the shoulder bumpers  (RB/R1 and LB/L1) to highlight the container you want to move the items to while you're in this item transfer mode or whatever you want to call it. It could be a mode you have to back out of with the B/Circle button like when you move furniture, destroy walls and objects with a sledgehammer and so on.

Speaking of the context menu, I would also like the option to change the order of the actions in that list somewhere in the options menu.

Another thing I would like to see is improved targeting when trying to upgrade walls and windows. Perhaps you could select an upgrade option and then you would get a targeting square like you do with farming and when selecting items to destroy with the sledgehammer. To improve selection you could possibly hit the right shoulder bumper (RB/R1) to select which wall you are specifically targeting. It's a shame you can't yet upgrade doors and door frames at this time.

Something that might make things a bit easier for not just people on controller but players in general would be the option to change how objects are highlighted. You could have a solid item highlight as now where containers and walls are highlighted in your selected highlight color, but also have the ability to toggle the highlight in the options so it pulses. You could also change the speed of the pulse if you wanted to, as well as whether the highlight fades just a little or a lot.

Additional: I would also like a wheel menu for the foraging option. You would use the analog to select/deselect the options around the edges of the wheel, and then pressing A/X would start the foraging.

Right on D-Pad may be a good place to move the zoom levels as well as the time advancement options in solo play. Edit: I thought about holding down right on the D-Pad and while held down using the bumpers and the triggers to zoom in and out as well as speeding up and slowing down time. I don't know if this would be in addition to the wheel menu or a replacement for it. There are a number of things you could do. Hold right on the D-Pad and use the triggers to change the zoom. Hold right on the D-Pad and then hold the left bumper and while holding hit the left trigger to pause the game and the right trigger and bumper to speed up and slow down the time progression. Maybe provide several configurations for people to test.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas and hoping that you like them enough to put them in the game because I feel it would make life a lot better for people using the controller. Maybe you'll think of something I hadn't and improve upon the ideas. Or find ideas that are altogether better elsewhere.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Adding additional information.

1. What controller are you using? A PS4 Dualshock Controller(connected through USB).
  2. Does the controller work? Yes! Enabled through steam overlay/big picture.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? The layout is fine! After following instructions earlier in the thread I was able to get the game to recognize my DS controller and the game now displays the Playstation buttons correctly.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? Gamepad mostly responds without issue. I haven't noticed any kind of input lag but just as others have pointed out I'm having issues with the shoulder buttons. It looks like the shoulder buttons are replacing the triggers and even if I remap the shoulders it doesn't actually change anything. Meanwhile the triggers can't be remapped at all and seem completely unresponsive in game. I tried deleting all of the relevant files(gamepads/joypad folders and gamepadBinding.config, as well as all of my existing saves, and reinstalling my controllers drivers) and starting a new character but it didn't make a difference.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? Besides the issue above I don't have any major complaints with the controls. It's mostly a slight personal preference but I enjoy being able to toggle running on/off with a left joy-stick click and being able to toggle sneaking with a right joy-stick click. I admit that toggle-sneaking may be kind of cheap in this game since it's also the melee-charge button, but not being able to toggle sprinting with the joystick feels clunky.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I haven't tried split-screen yet but hopefully soon I'll be able to update this with results!
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? My worries with this are that since this game was designed with PC controls in mind navigating the inventory and UI doesn't feel as fluid with a controller as with a mouse yet. I think forcing the avatar to not be able to move while navigating the UI is just gonna highlight that even more at the moment, although I wouldn't rule it out completely once the controller build becomes more stable.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? Ok so I have no idea what's causing this although I suspect it's something on my end. When playing with a controller in the stable branch I will sometimes(although it's rare) have connection issues with the controller if I do something like hit alt+tab or if I just want to open the health menu quickly by hitting 'H' it will override the gamepad controls with the keyboard layout. In the stable branch if I just press a button on my gamepad it will automatically switch back to the gamepad control scheme and it doesn't slow me down in the slightest. In this beta if I do the same thing and my controller loses connection or the keyboard layout overrides the gamepad, the controller becomes unresponsive and the game doesn't switch back to the gamepad controls like it normally does. However, I can still click the X button to open up the drop down menu that lets you take over or create a new character,  and when I select "take over" by using the gamepad it will revert to the gamepad controls. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but basically in the stable branch I can just hit any button on my gamepad and it will automatically revert to the gamepad controls if something happens like a connection issue or if the keyboard ends up overriding the gamepad, but in this beta I have to manually open the drop-down menu and select to take over the character in order to get back to the gamepad control scheme when that happens. Since I've become used to switching back and forth between the gamepad and the keyboard for certain things it's a slight annoyance although in the long run once the controller issues are worked out I don't think it will really be an issue.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I haven't other than I can say it definitely hasn't caused any slowdowns on my end. For the record I generally play with a locked 45fps on 1920 x 1080 resolution.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? My only real issue right now is the shoulder/triggers mapping problem. Everything else is mostly just personal preference and I suspect my opinion will change once the beta becomes more stable.

Please let my know if anything wasn't clear or if there are any other settings I should test out! I'm really looking forward to the new gamepad controls so best of luck to the team! :D

What controller are you using?
AfterGlow Prismatic wired Controller for Xbox One

Does the controller work?
Yes

Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense?

Yes it did work. Also it was straight forward to me in what options were available to change.

Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
Yes it was relevant to my gamepad. One improvement I could suggest would be to unlock all of the controllers buttons so that a player could add more keybinding other than the default setup that is present. Some buttons were unable to edit due to no option.

How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

As a first time user of a controller in PZ, it was fairly simple to get used to, one thing got was hard for me to remember was to close the inventory before doing anything else. Can't say how many times I was sneaking up on a zombie about to smash it's brain and forgot to close inventory so I was unable to attack until I closed the inventory. Maybe a timeout or auto-close feature would be awesome! So that when you walk away or for a few seconds of not using the inventory it will close.

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Other than the few things I have already mentioned, toggle run/walk. Using the analog stick I had to barely move it and hold it there to allow my character to walk it was hard on the fingers to keep walking when you went any further with analog stick character would run unless I used the left analog to sneak which made character walk even slower.

Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
No, mostly MP which besides my net not keeping up for the other players it was fine.

In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
Forbidding this would make would make it difficult to react and use inventory on the fly. Sometimes you have to be able to use inventory and also fight a horde of zombies. Making it to where you couldn't move while in inventory would be very frustrating I believe. This would change my playing style greatly because in scenarios where you are fight a horde and are scratched and bleeding I would now have to get away safely and treat wounds while I could do it real quick by getting so far away and treating wound quickly and then continue with what I was doing.

What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
One thing I noticed was when transferring items from survivor inventory to a container, I had the container open I pressed "X" on the controller and instead of it transferring the items to the crate it put them on the ground.

This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
I actually wasn't aware of this so I didn't actually notice a change.

What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
Auto closing the inventory, instead of locking up survivor actions. I forgot several times to close the inventory and making it to where I was unable to attack was kind of frustrating. 

Can view my game play in controller build from here

20181130015919_1.thumb.jpg.da1e1cc401b50885b3076c78847601b4.jpg

20181129154621_1.jpg

20181130015448_1.jpg

Edited by Smugwulf

1. What controller are you using? I'm Using a Xbox one controller
  2. Does the controller work? Yesh it sure does.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? It was the pad i was using But it could use more information it seemed a little barebones.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? It works pretty good Aiming can be a Little wierd right now but that s mainly the stick aiming not actual program.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved? I like it as it stands right now.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I have played in split screen and didnt find any problems with it yet.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? i think being able to move while interacting with your Menu could be quite useful but alot of the time i do find myslef standing still anyways for the most part.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? havent found any yet but ill keep looking
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I have not noticed any decrese in performance on my rig yet.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?  Maybe a small controller tutorial to make it esier to explain how to use it for new people.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, Kaleidozombie said:

Right on D-Pad may be a good place to move the zoom levels as well as the time advancement options in solo play. Edit: I thought about holding down right on the D-Pad and while held down using the bumpers and the triggers to zoom in and out as well as speeding up and slowing down time. I don't know if this would be in addition to the wheel menu or a replacement for it. There are a number of things you could do. Hold right on the D-Pad and use the triggers to change the zoom. Hold right on the D-Pad and then hold the left bumper and while holding hit the left trigger to pause the game and the right trigger and bumper to speed up and slow down the time progression. Maybe provide several configurations for people to test.

I thought of something that may be better than my above suggestion. Pressing right on the D-Pad would alter your other controller inputs. While holding down right on the D-Pad you could use the right analog stick to alter the zoom. The triggers and the shoulder buttons would work to change the time progression. Right trigger could be x2, right bumper x3, left bumper x4 and left trigger would be stop/pause (or perhaps it would be better to switch left trigger and left bumper). The UI would also change slightly to reflect this. The display in the corners which tells you what your buttons will do will change to reflect the zoom/timeshift mode and display the buttons and what they do.

We need to have answers from every tester on each of the following questions:

Microsoft Xbox One Elite Controller with a Wireless Adapter Dongle (and wired if I want)
  2. Does the controller work?
    Yes, I use it almost daily to play other games such as Brawlhalla and Dark Souls
    It does work. I do like it, much more intuitive than the previous one was. It matches my controller, so that's enough for me. I think currently it already was improved in the ways it was lacking before, it gets the job done, that's what matters.
    I'm finding it to be smooth overall. My only issue/slowdown is that, because it's a joystick system, sometimes the selection of specific boxes and transferring items can be rough to do quickly, but that's just how it goes when you don't have a mouse to drag things.
    Personally it seems to work as intended, I can't think of anything I personally am missing, but then again I don't really play with gamepad often in this game. 
    Tried it with a buddy, I can confirm that this works MUCH better than the previous iteration in terms of glitchy problems and smoothness of control.
    I think that it should technically immobilize you anyway, because you are rummaging in a bag... that being said, I would prefer it to make you stop to use inventory menus, that way you have to listen or watch for zombies coming after you while you are distracted, or else you die (semi-realistic) as one sneaks up on you and gets you.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
    If you stop moving too rapidly with the stick, sometimes the current viewing direction will just change by itself to some default (I think). It would be nice if you could just let go of the stick and not have it do this... It is possible that it's some kind of input from when the gamepad joystick is released and has to zero itself, but with the build quality of my controller being smooth and high grade, I don't think this is the case.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
    I don't believe that I have a high enough resolution to even notice it. I just play everything in 1080p on 60hz. My other specs are already so high that any "slowness" has never been an issue for me, my PC shreds everything you throw at it to pieces.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
    Find some way to make inventory better... I like the idea of immobilizing you so that you have to put all your effort into the inventory to make it faster, but then there still might be a better way to organize it and make it streamlined for easy transferring and rapid movement of items. Being able to remap things also helps. Some people enjoy making custom schemes based on what buttons they press the most.

1. What controller are you using?-Knock off xbox 360 controller
  2. Does the controller work?-Works okay, there were a few issues
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?-It had some issues. I could not change the bindings for my triggers, but it is a definite improvement from the old style.
  4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?-I had an issue where the default for melee combat (RB) was shooting my vision out with the look father feature every time I pressed it to swing, which made combat very disorientating. Also I bound (B) to be melee and quickly unbound it when it interfered with the inventory navigation. However after unbinding it continued to shove every time I pressed the button in a menu.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?- More Radial menus! I love the improvements to be able to actually interact with the car and such.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?-It was fine, no real issues
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?- 100% no, the amount of times I've been moving and rustling trough my backpack? A death sentence.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?- There is still no option to remove keys from vehicles with the gamepad. The button binding screen itself could use improvement. 
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?-I run it at max and see no problems whatsoever.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?- Fixing melee combat    

^This was determined in about 2.5-3 hours of play time.

I've had a lot of experience playing split screen, and I'm very happy you guys are giving some attention to a lesser used part of the game. This will make long zomboid sessions with the roommate so much easier. Thanks for all your hard work!

21 minutes ago, Name1234 said:

has this been updated/fixed? i couldnt do much playing with it previously. for me it was totally broken. i dont have net at home so i cant upgrade/downgrade whenever.

How was it not working for you? It took me a bit of legwork to get the patch working for me as well. What kind of controller are you using? Definitely seems like there are issues with any non-Xbox controller atm at least from my experience(on a Sony DS4) and from what I've read in the thread.

Also, if you're worried about switching between the stable branch and this beta because of your network issues you could try making backup installations. That way you can just manually switch between the branches instead of letting steam handle it.

Xbox 360 wired controller.

Yes

Yes it works fine. It's relevant and easy to navigate and understand. See further notes at bottom of post.

It feels fine. Some things I have to get used to (like having to close Loot/Inventory using Y instead of B. B is kinda the default Close/Back for me, even more so when it's used like that in other menus.

Default bindings, toggle run, continuity in what buttons do. See notes further down. 

No

I feel this would be a very bad change. Having the option of navigating inventory and maybe switching weapons while running is essential.

No bugs, except one in main menu.  And I really tried breaking stuff, switching back and forth between keyboard and mouse, pressing odd button combinations etc. 

If you change any screen settings (thus prompting the "Keep these screen settings?" dialog window) the controller is left in the Optionsmenu when exiting to main menu. If I press A I can see the options drop down menu opening up. I have to press X again to actually get the controller out to the main menu.       Link to screenshot

I cranked all Display settings up as high as I could and noticed no bad impact. Some small stuttering while running a car forward at very high speed.

Can't really think of anything off the top of my head. I mean, big things like quests and NPC:s and a story mode would be nice, but the game is really enjoyable in it's current state.

Now, I took some notes while playing. I'm just gonna leave them here unformatted. They're a bit of a mess but are my thoughts while playing. 

I'm using a Xbox 360 wired controller, starting the game via steam big screen.  I've also never played PZ with a controller before, although I am used to playing games with a 360-controller.

In the Sandbox options, I would have liked to be able to use Start instead of having to select next. Same for Customise Character screen. 
When first getting to the Sandbox options screen, left menu (with Population, time etc.) should already be selected. That's where my eyes drift and that's where I'm assuming my cursor is. Also, having to press B after fiddling around in the menus to even get to Next is very unintuitive. I expected to be booted back one screen when pressing B.

Toggle run would be a nice addition. 

Having to use B to climb through a window after opening it feels weird.  You are often enforcing B as the Cancel-button, and coming from playing with a keyboard I'm used to being able to open the window with a tap of E and then longpressing E to climb through. Something similar would be nice to have on the controller, opening with A and climbing through with long press A.

Having A bring up menus in Loot and X in world also feels like a strange default option. Continuity is king. 

I have melee bound to LB, RB is Toggle Mode and RT is Rack Firearm.  However,  LB does nothing but the Push back-animation when wielding a baseballbat in both hands. Toggle mode swings the bat like I'm expecting from Melee. This might be an error from my side, not understanding the terminology of the Controller bindings but I figured it's worth mentioning.

When using LS for aim and RB bound to Toggle Mode to swing my bat, I get a weird jerking of the screen, almost like panning the camera when using a mouse. 

xclOfvm.jpg

On 12/2/2018 at 2:45 PM, Pandorea said:

So in the current version of IWBUMS, if you right click on an item that is in a container or the floor,  one of the options you are given is "Grab".
This puts the item in whichever bag you have open/selected in the main inventory screen (backpack, main inventory, keychain, bag in your inventory etc).

In the controller build, when you right click on an item that is in a container or the floor, the "grab" option/right click menu has further options that allow you to CHOOSE which bag the item goes into.
This means I can have my main inventory on the left, while still being able to put items into my backpack.
This is opposed to having to open my main inventory, switching to my backpack, picking up the item, then switching back to my main inventory, it is a huge time-saver.

I was requesting that this UI feature/extra options be added to the base (IWBUMS) game.

I have issues with some devices attached to my computer. They keep the game from loading up.

Devices that keep the game from loading:

Button Box Interface (from leobodnar, if it matters)

Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

I have to disconnect (or disable in windows device manager) those two to get the game to the main menu.

The last thing I see is "Loading Characters texturepack" with which it becomes unresponsive and I have to kill the game process.

I will attach my console.txt. (Shortened, as it repeated the same java error endlessly and got to 35mb of text with that)

Not having to do extra steps to load up the game would be neat and might keep others from dealing with the troubleshooting I had to go through.

Maybe let the game skip devices it can't deal with, I don't know...

My Thrustmaster Joystick and Throttle are no problem though. I guess I could even play with them... :rolleyes:

zomboid_controllerbuild_console_2.txt

On 11/24/2018 at 7:01 PM, Nick105105 said:

Another bug I found is when I restarted or closed and opened my game back up is that it reset my keybindings and i have tried different things and different ways to save it but it only resets my player keybinding thought when this happens.

Hi! I investigated your issue. The issue occurs on your side. You (or game) probably have not right to read/write keys.ini file in user folder. Probably some software keep this file from reading and writing by Zomboid. Also you can try to clean up keys.ini file manually - it's placed in <user folder>/Zombod/Lua/keys.ini and try again. I'm sure that this file overring after every apply button pressed and loading when game starting.

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic