Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

On 17.11.2018 at 3:53 PM, crossed said:

it's would be nice if you could just bind zoom in and zoom out to buttons

I think it's not necessary because you already have a good opportunity to do it (imho). How I do it: press radial menu button (share for ps controller and back for xbox as I remember), move right stick to zoom in or zoom out. The game will zoom when you release the button. To do it fast just keep holding right stick in corresponding direction (zoom in or zoom out) and press the radial menu button as much as you need. 

If you don't enjoy zoom still then tell me.

2 hours ago, Stas from general arcade said:

I think it's not necessary because you already have a good opportunity to do it (imho). How I do it: press radial menu button (share for ps controller and back for xbox as I remember), move right stick to zoom in or zoom out. The game will zoom when you release the button. To do it fast just keep holding right stick in corresponding direction (zoom in or zoom out) and press the radial menu button as much as you need. 

I actually do it that way you describe and it works. However it forces me to take my left thump off the left stick which means the character stops moving (read: fleeing). As zooming is not part of the characters actions but for our sake only it should be independent so to say.

I really prefer rt + rb or something along that line for zoom. And thanks for the work you put in!

3 hours ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Thanks for the response! Yeah I don't have a huge problem with the way it works right now, Collophonius pretty much pointed out my only issue with it above: the radial menu is a left thumb button and most of the time my left thumb is busy running away from zombies :D I think it would be a good compromise if you could rebind the radial menu to one of the bumpers or triggers if that isn't too much work; I don't think you can do that right now, correct me if I'm wrong ^^

Currently all of the bumpers and triggers have something mapped to them. Right trigger is attack/rack weapon. Left trigger is melee (push and stomp). Right bumper allows you to look around with the right analog stick. Left bumper is reload. Clicking the left analog stick switches you between walk and run modes. Does right analog stick do anything at present?

Basically all of the buttons are being used for some action. The only ones left are on the directional pad. On PS4 controllers there is the option of using the pad in the middle (I'm not sure what it's called), or the motion controls. I don't think Xbox One controllers have anything like that. I know the Xbox 360 controllers don't.

Also to note, the suggested fix that was suggested to me works to get the game to detect my PS4 controller as a PS4 controller in the Controller Test beta build of the game, but I have to switch it back if I go back to IWBUMS or the game doesn't detect it in a way that allows me to use it in game. It detects it as a wireless controller and adds it to the bottom of the list and I can see it working in the testing section, but when I try to control the game it's as if it's not connected/detected. I have to change the setting and then the game detects it as an Xbox controller.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, Kaleidozombie said:

Currently all of the bumpers and triggers have something mapped to them.

R/L thumbstick buttons? or else the ability to remap the radial menu. the zoom is at an unnatural diagonal

Edited by Name1234

On 11/20/2018 at 5:27 AM, Stas from general arcade said:

As I mentioned above, using the STEAM controller config which allows assigning multiple actions to the same button using different press types such as :

- Press & Hold

- Double press

- Normal press & release

Allows putting critical often used function such as ZOOM in a way more convenient place than a radial menu....

Don't get me wrong.... Radials are wonderful to get controller users away from keyboard.... BUT I feel zoom is highly underrated... I use it all the time...  Zooming [IN] every time I enter a building... [OUT] while outside to scan for zombies.... [IN] while driving through tight spots [OUT] while driving fast to be able to see ahead...

I suppose you could say zoom is used quite alot for the "Action" oriented player as perhaps opposed to the "Crafting" oriented player...

So my point is.... putting both [ZOOM IN AND OUT] on my RIGHT thumb button [R3] allows for very quick zoom changes without having to move my controller grip or find the zoom function through multi level radial menu activation...

I hope whatever controller build you're working on does at LEAST what the STEAM controller config menu does... By that, I mean the ability to re-map EVERYTHING, leaving nothing permanently default...  This would render all discussion about what works best irrelevant since players would be able to configure their button layout to what ever works for them.

In the spirit of re-mapping.... as I mentioned above, I hope to see a re-map-able radial button that would accept keyboard bindings to help integrate use of mods that are key-bind-heavy...

iirc...   I use D-Pad to open radials...

- Up for vehicle

- Left for Weapon

- Down for yell menu

I believe D-Pad RIGHT is available to open a fourth Radial menu ???

This is just an example, and I am not suggesting perma-mapping anything anywhere... I would much rather see a basket of functions that I can map to whatever button/D-Pad direction/thumb stick I want... or leave completely off if I wanted...

I really really think this is one of those decisions that are best not made..... Make the map-able framework and leave it up to the player to set it up... It will be impossible to make pre-made bindings that are 100% acceptable to everyone. I recall coming across so many games that were unplayable because they made the mistake of prepackaging a few "presets" which were just not very well thought out... And I always wondered why they didn't just leave it up to the player...

Just Another $0.02

Hi there! 5 update is here. Most important bugs were resolved. Change list:

• Fixed: Game options window doesn't resize correctly when changing resolution
  • Fixed: Char turns away when stops moving
  • Fixed: Game closes on entering a driver's seat in a vehicle
  • Fixed: Not possible to play with controller from the get-go; must go via F1
  • Fixed: move and aim actions inverted by Y axis.
  • Fixed: Not possible to change any Controller settings using controller

3 hours ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Great news!

Char movement runs very good now, greatly improved! Opening door and closing again works smoothly as well. Well done!

Playing with controller from the start works, in splitscreen also.

Using controller to change controller settings also works. However only to the point that I can move to the drop down menu but not change the button layout. All other option I tested are changeable (inverting, selecting controller if more than one is connected, ...).

Haven't tested the rest.

One think is weird though:

LT and RT do not seem to work for me. I deleted all files/folders related to the binding. RT is supposed to rack the gun, which does not work for me at all. I can store the gun with the radial menu though.
I only tested the default button bindings and I can use LB for Melee (which is bind to LT) and I use RB for shooting (for ex.).

Using RB to shoot and aming (RS) at the same time leads to screen movement (the looking into the distance kind). Its annoying really :D

I may be mistaken but it feels like something is wrong here. Any idea how to fix that?

I use Xbox 360 and steam.

Edited by Collophonius
wrote nonsense about switching from run to walk and back, deleted it

6 hours ago, Stas from general arcade said:

Awesome! The "char turns away" one was annoying as heck, and now that we can enter vehicles I'll test it again and see how well driving is with a controller.

My thoughts on playing around in the new update for an hour:

·         Bug persists from the previous version where exiting the inventory screen caused the character to push.

·         Car acceleration is either full force or nothing at all rather than various speeds according to pressure on R2 (RT on Xbox).

·         Driving using the controller feels very smooth and the radial menu works very well

·         Movement feels a lot smoother and it is much easier to interact with specific objects in the environment without having to aim the right stick every time.

Another note, I’m not sure if I’m just being stupid but how do I access the crafting and health screens using the controller?

8 hours ago, Stas from general arcade said:

The good:

- The character is not turning on his own and opening doors, selecting containers etc.. is much easier, it works great now.

The bad:

- Y axis is reversed for me now (it wasn't in the previous build), and if I switch to keyboard the up and down keys are mixed up on the keyboard too. I can fix the controller in the options, but the keyboard controls will still be reversed.

- The game still exits to main menu if I enter a car sometimes. It happened every time in the last build, now I was able to sit on the drivers seat sometimes, I tried about ten times and it crashed 2 times.

- I can't change the controller bindings using the controller, the A button switches between player/UI/car controls, and none of the other buttons seem to open the drop down menu.

edit:

Another note, I’m not sure if I’m just being stupid but how do I access the crafting and health screens using the controller?

Not sure about yours but the back button brings up the menu for them on a 360 controller.

edit 2:

Also, I don't know if it's just me but I'm having a lot of trouble rebinding things, I mean making things work on different buttons than the default ones.

For example if I switch up the MainMenu and the UIRadialMenu buttons,  the back buttons will still be the radial menu (so nothing changed there) and the main menu wont come up at all.

Does rebinding works allright for everyone else?

Edited by crossed

Just now, kill400zombies said:

@crossed I assumed the PS4 equivalent would have been the share button but I was unable to make it work

It is, so if it isn't working then that's something that needs to be reported. The share button brings up a radial/wheel menu that has both of those options available, among others.

• What controller are you using? Xbox One wireless
  • Does the controller work? No. However it works on the non controllertest build
  • Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? From other peoples screenshots it looks fantastic and well made. I can't seem to access it though
  • How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? All controls when testing the control registered in the menu and the movement was fluid. The only thing I could do those was navigate the menu and walk around. I couldn't do anything else in game
  • How would you like your gamepad play further improved? I'd like it to work for me to start but I feel this may be more user error than coding so I'll keep giving it tests
  • Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I play split screen with my girlfriend and/or best friend. We thoroughly enjoy splitscreen. I was unable to test the beta though for reasons stated above
  • In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I would enjoy it as a toggle option in menus. It would make the game much more difficult and realistic and some players wouldn't enjoy it as much as others
  • What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? Only running around and menu navigation worked for me
  • This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I didn't notice a huge improvement mainly because I only run high end systems. The game always runs flawlessly
  • What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? If it's not user error I'd love to see better support for the Xbox One wireless controller

First i think it's important to mention my feedback comes from the perspective of someone who's not very familiar with the game, I've played a bit over the years of development but I've mostly been waiting patiently. Hopefully my fresh perspective is also helpful.

1) Xbox 360 with official wireless adapter

2) Yes it works

3) Yes it works but things like interact, reload, and player inventory weren't bound by default and many buttons were unused. I'd rather have all bindings available with 1 image of a controller instead of 3 different screens, I think it would be easier to manage the shared buttons if you could view them all at once.

4) Cant seem to open a bag in my inventory using the controller, had to use mouse to double click it.
B button should back out of every menu and action universally, in the inventory instead of backing out it expands the item detail.

5) I'd like a lot of play-testing and usability and small bug fixes, I really like the tactile/direct feeling of controlling the character with the controller more then mouse/keyboard even though that is my usual preference on PC.

The next thing that springs to mind is controller rumble for taking damage and maybe loud unexpected sounds (like those that accompany the musical surprise stinger)

6) I tried it briefly controlling both players myself. Keyboard up/down movement was reversed and when i rebound the keys, down (bottom of the screen) stopped working completely for the keyboard player. Didn't notice any issued for the controller player.

7) Forbidding movement may solve some issues i thought were bugs at first. After selecting equip primary on a knife from the floor I must have moved during the action, I later realized I had picked it up but not yet equipped it. At the same time you'd probably want to thoroughly play-test a change like that, it may turn out it causes more issues then it solves.

8) General weirdness: When i first started the game at the opening menu the patch-notes were onscreen but the controller was going through menu functions in the background, I accidentally started a new game while trying to close the patch notes using my controller.
Also in game the first popup said press space to continue, I pressed A a few times to try close it and apparently had got into the options in the background and was being asked if I wanted to save changes.
At one point I pressed right bumper (bound to "togglemode") and was dumped to the opening menu with patch notes again (a crash?)

The mouse cursor stays visible on screen when using controller, so if I don't manually move it way from the middle of my screen it looks silly and annoying.

The little Red folders that show up in the bottom right with a Number, those are errors i'd guess?
Those seem to stack up for me in a few situations. When using a controller and trying to get through the press space to continue dialogue on a fresh start as well as when trying to navigate the tips menu. 

After getting killed i noticed i could press A to take over a player still. doing that brought me to a black screen 5 or 6 times (with more red numbers stacking up) then respawned me as a 4 man clone army, I had control of all of them simultaneously. 

9) I haven't played many hours in the past but I didn't notice any performance difference. I think the game always ran great for me, I run at 1080p.

10) let players press B to back out of the inventory(and everything else)
...#2 is add rumble ;)

That's from a couple hours of play testing, I'll give it another go tomorrow and again next time the controller beta gets patched.
Please let me know if you would like any more detail about anything i mentioned.

Thanks for adding more and more to an already great game!

bug.jpg

Edited by KickyMcAssington
Added bugs and image of bug

7 hours ago, GuyDing22 said:
  • What controller are you using? Xbox One wireless
  • Does the controller work? No. However it works on the non controllertest build
  • Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved? From other peoples screenshots it looks fantastic and well made. I can't seem to access it though
  • How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? All controls when testing the control registered in the menu and the movement was fluid. The only thing I could do those was navigate the menu and walk around. I couldn't do anything else in game
  • How would you like your gamepad play further improved? I'd like it to work for me to start but I feel this may be more user error than coding so I'll keep giving it tests
  • Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I play split screen with my girlfriend and/or best friend. We thoroughly enjoy splitscreen. I was unable to test the beta though for reasons stated above
  • In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I would enjoy it as a toggle option in menus. It would make the game much more difficult and realistic and some players wouldn't enjoy it as much as others
  • What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? Only running around and menu navigation worked for me
  • This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I didn't notice a huge improvement mainly because I only run high end systems. The game always runs flawlessly
  • What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? If it's not user error I'd love to see better support for the Xbox One wireless controller

Are you on the right build? (just covering all the bases here)

Also, before doing anything else, delete Joypad / Gamepad folders and gamepadBinding.config file in your Users > Zomboid folder.

One thing I can suggest is this: once in game, press A > a popup should appear in top-left corner of the screen > select "Take over player 1" > do that. This should hopefully enable you to interact with the world.

1. What controller are you using? Xbox One White (Bluetooth enabled)

2. Does the controller work? Yup.

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? No, and yes. I can move my cursor to each box, but I can't interact with the box to change the action, because the A button changes the tab (from UI, to Player, etc). None of the bindings seem to change in-game; I set Back to ToggleInventory, and it still brings up the Action Wheel. Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? Yes. How could it be improved?  When in the Controller Bindings box, make RB and LB the buttons to change between tabs. Make the options more clear. Allow more options under each button. I would like to set RT to attack instead of RB, but the only option is currently "RackFirearm." 

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with? 

RB is now attack, and LB is push, which makes RT and LT both unused. Maybe this is just a binding issue on my end (I haven't actually touched them, though), but this conflicts with moving furniture, and switching through with object/mode you want to select. When attacking with RB, this also activates the "look" action, which makes the screen wiggle when you get into a fight. Everything else works just fine.

5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

• It's not possible to access "Name" "Surname" or to rotate your character on the Customize Character screen. 
  • Make Start the button to complete each page for Character Creation, as both screens are currently inconsistent with each other. Customize Character requires you to move the cursor all the way down, whereas Occupation and Traits requires you to hit B, and then A. 
  • Under Occupation and Traits, the cursor should move in the direction you're pressing. Hitting right when the cursor is on Advantages should make the cursor move to Selected Traits, not Disadvantages.
  • There's currently no way to select the Sort bar in your player's Inventory. 
  • No way to unlock a trunk in an open car unless you have the key. The Action Wheel doesn't have an option for it, but considering A is the hotkey for exiting a vehicle, I would consider replacing it with "Open Trunk."

6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? I haven't had the chance to try it with this build.

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? The game is currently balanced around allowing you to move and access your inventory (hence why certain actions stop when you move). I wouldn't like this.

8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? None.

9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I've been playing on 1920*1080 and have noticed no changes.

10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? Controller bindings.

Some more notes from further play:

·         I managed to work out how to enter the crafting/health menus (thanks for the explanation)

·         If I’m interacting with the health menu and attempt to aim a weapon/look around instead of looking around in 360 degrees, the character will become locked facing in the direction they were facing when I started to aim.

·         I’m not sure if this is just due to the build being only for controller but when quickly switching to keyboard the W and S keys were switched around.

·         When I had switched to the keyboard, I attempted to enter a car and the game crashed to the main menu, similar to the way in which getting in a car with the controller crashed to the main menu before the update

Edited by kill400zombies

After some more sessions, here are my insights (in addition to my older posts):

- opening a notebook (empty) opens the window to type in notes or read. However it is not possible to close the window via controller input (e.g. B) again. Had to use the mouse. Once the window is open I was able to move the char as normal.

- Driving cars works fine for me, with LT and RT for speed (preset bindings).

3 hours ago, thefool said:

RB is now attack, and LB is push, which makes RT and LT both unused. Maybe this is just a binding issue on my end (I haven't actually touched them, though), but this conflicts with moving furniture, and switching through with object/mode you want to select. When attacking with RB, this also activates the "look" action, which makes the screen wiggle when you get into a fight.

Same here. The wiggling during combat makes it somehow more challenging :D But yes, please do fix that.

Will edit once I encounter more issues!

I have spent a couple more hours in the game and managed to try some carpentry:

·         Placement of the wall frames is very tricky as it is difficult to place it in the correct location which can be frustrating

·         Attempting to rotate a wall to the left using L1 causes the character to attack and close the carpentry UI

·         In general, pressing the X button (Square on ps4) to interact and not being near anything to interact causes the UI with inventory and interact to disappear (see below) but will reappear when pressing the B (Circle on ps4) button as if I have closed an interact menu.

5bf85375edb0f_projectzomboid.thumb.jpg.d6cf351ccb3774d8c4fa3fd00452664c.jpg

1. (gamestop brand) Xbox360 controller

2.)No

3.)No it doesn't work no matter what buttons are mapped to the only thing that works is moving and melee, it does make sense for my controller, and is relevant, would be nice if it worked with my controller.

4.)Cannot say since controller does not fully work.

5.)Cannot say since controller does not fully work.

6.)No

7.)Cannot say since controller does not fully work

8.)The controller is recognized by the game it shows up in game but moving and melee are the only thing that work , and no matter what the RB is set to pushing it while moving crashes the game to the main menu.

9.)Cannot say since controller does not fully work

10.) im sorry I can't contribute more insight to the beta since my controller does not fully work. 

1. I am using a wireless ps4 controller that I plugged in using a charging cord.

2. Yes it works fine

3. yes and no it fits the controller i am using i guess but its hard to tell when i am putting keybindings if i am putting it for the top or bottom front side button on the right or left side because they are basically on top of each other.

4. it feels clunky and i couldn't get some of the things to work like loading a gun and such(might be my own stupidity though i don't know).

5. maybe a better keybinding system or make it so you can run/walk when you click down a joystick because its strange to only be able to run.

6.  no i haven't played split screen.

7.  I would rather keep it so you can move as you are having your inventory open because it makes for quick getaways if a zombie sneaks up on you or you just need to loot and go really fast.

8.  at some points the like helpful button thingys (they tell you what to press for what to do such as open inventory or loot/open doors) would vanish then randomly come back even if i stayed still or was near the object the entire time. 

9. no because I can normally run high resolution and other graphics fine.

10. that its a little clunky and weird to start off at (or at least for me and that's why i didn't play much of it because its slightly aggravating to die to things i normally can avoid on keyboard) also i would like if you guys could make it so you start out with more key binds for cars and such or for weapons. It would also be nice if when the controller hits the base game you could make a small tutorial on what does what and how to build and fight well with it. (on the other hand though it was really fun for a bit because its the first time i have used a controller for my pc and its fun to learn new things :) keep up the good dev work.) Also it would be nice if you could make it so you can stomp/push zombies without having to press triangle or the inventory button and make it so you can attack with the front buttons.

Edited by Nick105105

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic